Sunset Resort (Ocean Hotel / Laguna Suite) / False information and charges
My sisters and I attended the travel show sponsored by the New York Times In February, 2008. Normally we were very carful about this kind of "package sale" by some saleperson, but because it's from New York Times sponsored travel show, we figure it's safe and reliable.
There were several representatives represented the "Vacation Rewards program" aka the "Sunset Group Cancun". The salesman told me and my sister that I can use my credit card to pre-pay the packages for my sisters and their families. The FOUR packages I paid for can be used at the same time for family re-union. We were assured that this is not a timesharing and we do not have to attend any presentation. We have choices of two resorts, Ocean Hotel and Laguna Suite. Everything was paid for and cleared.
Since then, we tried to book the travel together (total of 4 families). We were told by several customer services reps that we could not book the travel together because I pre-paid the packages for my sisters on my credit card. If the 2nd family shows up, we have to pay the full price. We were told that we have to attend the timesharing presentation.
THIS IS A SCAM.
In addition, we were told that we have to pay $49 booking fees for each room and $110 for hotel taxes. The package was under $300 per room, and as far as I know hotel tax is only 10%, wonder how they get $110 from.
On one of the call, I spoke to one of the customer services rep named Lisa. She agreed that we do not have to attend the presentation. I asked her to send me an email confirmation. I never received any follow up email from her. This was only one of the many calls.
Finally me and my sisters decide to give up the packages that we already paid for, if just reserveration process is so inconsistent with the information we got initially, God only knows what other "extra charges" will be imposed on us when we got there.
More Sunset Resort (Ocean Hotel / Laguna Suite) Complaints & Reviews
- Sunset Group - Fraud and dishonesty! 
- Sunset Group Marketing - Terrible company 
- Sunset Group - Scam and fraud! 
- Sunset Group Fishermen's Village - Lose our money and peace of mind! 
- Sunset Group Fishermen's Village - Sunset Fishermans Village Time Share - Rip-Off 
- Sunset World Resorts & Vacation Experiences - sunset group / fraud and dishonest
- Sunset Royal Cancun Presentation - timeshare fraud
- Sunset World Resorts & Vacation Experiences - pesadilla en sunset group 
- Royal Sunset - Royal sunset timeshare scam 
- Sunset Group - Hacienda tres rios timeshare scam