Sunset Group

Sunset Group
444 Brickell Ave Suite 51
Miami, Florida
www.thesunsetgroup.com
June of 2007 we purchased a time share from the Grupo Mayan, we decided to take advantage of our investment and use our RCI in Cancun, Mexico. Our check in was the check in from hell and the room had not one window so we were not happy. Here comes Sunset Group to the rescue. Next day we went to the Sunset Group for a 90 minute presentation. This turned into a high pressure sale which turned into a four hour tour. We purchased a new time share and hey for four thousand dollars more you can join the yacht club. We fell for this hook line and sinker. (No pun intended) They were supposed to have bought out the Mayan Grupo time Share and we made a great investment on what they paid for our purchase.

Still believing we got a great deal we came home and wrote a check for 14, 000.00 thinking we only had 3, 230.31 owed. PS never knew they issued me a different Bank of America VISA card until I arrived home. Still no light bulb goes off I'm thinking my credit line was not high enough, so that was the reason for the card change.

Then February came and on my other VISA card came the monthly charges; One for 352.25 for time share and second 190.20 for the yacht club. This is when communication started with Sunset Group and customer service. All stating I needed to pay. It was our understanding they were two separate memberships but we they were the finial price we had agreed on at the time of the sale. I could never get anyone to communicate via email or phone. I called five times on a Friday and was told Barry Myatt was busy and would call me back when he was finished with his customer. This went on for three hours when the last call I was told he was gone for the day.

This is when I got the brain storm if Sunset Group could buy out Mayan then why can’t Mayan buy out Sunset to help get us out of this nightmare. This is when I found out they never bought out the Mayan time share. Next I went to Bank of America for assistance since they are involved in this indirectly since I ended up with two VISA Bank of America charge cards. I have been in dispute since February and still no resolution.

My solution was to get rid of both cards and now block all messages from Sunset Group. Sunset is only looking for money not resolution. I am very disappointed not only that I have been taken for a ride in Mexico but Bank of America is aiding this company by issuing out VISA cards at the time of the sale.

I was really beating myself up for being so stupid and getting scammed. After going online I see I am not alone and only hope others can learn from my mistake and not buy time share without doing some investigating before purchase.
Complaint comments Comments (10) Complaint country United States Complaint category Products & Services

Comments

A  20th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes
Our experience with Sunset was similar, including Bank Of America's complicity in perpetuating this fraud. We also ended up with two BofA VISA cards, both being charged against by Sunset. We ended up cancelling the cards, but Sunset still owes us nearly six thousand dollars.
N  21st of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
we were ripped off by the Sunset Group in Mexico at Christmas 2008. The biggest mistake of our lives.. We were verbally told so many lies and we checked the contract many times but you do not realize how they have badly worded the contract and because of all the high sales pressure you sign your money away and then can not stop it at all.

We now cant even stop the credit card as it is a guaranteed payment. has anyone else come across this! Has any one used Gonzalez & Gonzalez Law firm in Mexico and won. or know about them.

We need help to get out of this terrible company what take your money ours were £5, 000 pounds and still we can not stop any more payments for a terribel lie.
N  9th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
Wow sorry to hear this guys. My sister owns a timeshare there but she seems to be happy with it because she is using it. I went with her once and they seem to be nice folks over there. I told her about the complaints i'm seeing here and she said you guys should try calling customer support because they will help you.
A  7th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
The tmeshare industry in Mexico is taking almost a Billion Dollars every year from Americans and Candians. They are taking away their earnest money based on lies and misrepresentation. I have collected evidence to support the claims of thousands of people deceived from this company. Share this info with your general attorney, the Federal Trade Commsision, the Consulate of Canada and USA in Cancún as well as any government agency that you believe might be interested in putting pressure in the Mexican Government to stop these companies from scamming more honest people.

Please visit this website (specially the video section) to know in detail how these companies operate.

A  6th of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes
As if you need more info on the scam tactics and unethical behavior of these crooks, take a look at www.FishermansVillage.info These people were truly born without souls or conscience. Also note that many of the players / owners in this mess are former Government officials with ties to those still in power. Profeco proved less than worthless in my case and it is doubtful you will receive any benefit from contacting them (they took 1 calendar year to even respond to my letters and e-mails). Best approach is to embarass Sunset with the truth in posts like these and through web sites, contacting travel agents / magazines and news outlets. Thieves hate the light of day:)
DocWoz
A  3rd of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
Contract number: 19-1-987
From October 18th 2009 we visited Mexico. During our visit we attended the Royal Sunset club and Club Lagoon Timeshare presentation in Cancun. When we declined the purchase of the timeshare we were given a presentation for the Royal Sunset the Dream package. The salesman ISA LELTK and General Sales Manager Alfredo Poot promised that if we purchased this package now, today our family of 5 or our friends would always be staying in the best PRESIDENTIAL suite/ ocean view in the most distinguished resort in the world for 5 REGISTERED WEEKS FREE OPTIONAL, or we can have 1week CORPORATE or VIP WEEK for $699 everywhere in the world. We were told that all of the places to choose from where the high 5star quality of service. We were told that if we bought the package and signed the contract we would be insured that our family will have vacations through Sunset group forever from as today.
We did sign the contract and first of all sunset group over charged my credit card. Then I had to pay the fees for transfers overseas.i had file the claim with my credit card, and only after they completed the investigation sunset group had to return the difference. That happened in February. Secondly I have booked my family vacation through sunset group and I had difficult time with communication with Ivan and Sally to order my “presidential suite” I was promised transportation from airport and optional (all-inclusive) in the hotel. So when my sister with family arrived on February 17th – 22nd it was horrible and the worst vacation they ever had. They never got the optional all-inclusive, their first day they had a room that was construction view and not presidential at all and we paid extra $699 for the presidential suite ocean view. After a long day of complaints they got the “presidential suite” the next day, the furniture was very worned out. The toilet was clogged with human feces and smelled horrible the custodian came to fix the bathroom only the next day.we could not unpack for two days. They were calling many times but nothing happened until my sister’s husband went to complain at the staff. They have never got the lobster dinner or even the spa that was presented during the presentation. To top all of that the golden ring was stolen from their room. Mr. Sergio Moreno offered another free week for 2010 in exchange of the ring that was stolen in their room. After that accident they were really afraid for the room service and didn’t let anyone in. It was only 5 days of vacation and my family was supposed to enjoy their vacation but never did, my sister’s husband had high pressure due to the whole situation and they never want to go back to Cancun again. My family and I don’t want to ever have this experience again. I want to cancel all business and Contract with sunset group because I feel that they took huge advantage of me..
I have the right to ask for all my money back that I have put in $18, 307.50 plus $699 that we paid additionally because IT WAS AND IS A FRAUD AND SCAM!!!PEOPLE BE AWARE ABD DO NOT GO TO ANY SUNSET GROUP PRESENTATIONS/OR DO NOT BUY TIMESHARES!!! BELIEVE ME IT IS A SCAM!!!
N  15th of Nov, 2013 by    0 Votes
It seems like this is a very common problem in Mexico. My wife & i bought into a Royal Elite Timeshare in Playa del Carmen. We stayed in sandos caracol resort & signed contract for royal elite. we've found out in the last few months that availiablity of resorts that we require are very limited (sales person shown us extensive range of hotels). flight deals are no better than booking myself. we enquired to stay lanzarote sandos dec 2012 the ai rate is in total $1900 for the week. i feel that this is going to be costly in the long run, not the ideal deal that was sold to us. This is a forum with more complaints about this company:

http://www.timesharescam.com/timeshare-complaints-resorts-black-list/6-royal-eli... />
I'm in the process of calling the BBB and PROFECO and seeing what they can do. Possibly the attorney General also!!
A  12th of Oct, 2015 by    0 Votes
I received a call from the number 1(310)362-7236. As I answered I was told by a woman with a fake Asian accent that I was a winner from a company named Sunset Getaway and was told not to believe it was a scam. The woman seem nervous and she pass the phone to another person who was also a woman with a fake Asian accent. I ask the second woman, "do you know my name?, " she said "no, " than I ask her, "how did you get my number?" After the second question she said "Sorry for calling you, " and she hung up... I check online and other pages do demonstrate it is a scam and I do agree it is... do not give any personal information or respond to any of their questions! Never use the word "yes, "no, " or any word that is based on some type of agreement.

Best thing to do is hangup on them.

As I placed the companies number or name for scam alerts Sunset Gateway and Sunset Group appeared, so the scammer may be using two or more of the titles used.
N  9th of Dec, 2015 by    0 Votes
The best advice is NEVER buying a timeshare anywhere. It is a scam and the so-called timeshare you buy is sold over and over again to other people. It is very difficult to sell your timeshare now and renting isn't in the deal. It will cost you more to buy a timeshare and maintenance fee than to rent a hotel room or a full ownership of a condo. Don't do it. There is good information about this timeshare scam: http://www.timesharescam.com/blog/212-how-to-cancel-sunset-group-timeshare-contr...
N  15th of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
It is always best to hire someone skilled to do so, unfortunately in most cases these companies dedicated to cancel timeshares usually cheat for the second time to their customers since they are vulnerable and desperate. If you are thinking of hiring them you just have to make sure you do not have to make any payment upfront.
I found this article that speak precisely about this, you should read it, that might help you to resolve many doubts:

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree