Sunset Group / Terrible experience!

I vacationed in Cancun over Christmas and was approached on December 27th, 2007 at a shopping mall to attend a no pressure- quick 90 minute seminar at the hotel Sunset Lagoon and Royal Sunset Lagoon. Having never attended a time share sales pitch, I didn't know what to expect. It was a rainy day and I thought ‘why not, I will be back to my resort with an hour and a half. I was shown the resorts and they looked nice so I asked how much? Big Mistake!

From the moment I walked in the sales office of the Royal Sunset Cancun I did not feel comfortable. I ended up in a very high-pressured sales office for 6 hours surrounded by about 25 tables with sales people pressuring other customers to purchase the time shares. It was so loud in the office and numbers were being thrown at me like crazy. It was very overwhelming. The first offer was 68 thousand dollars. I kept saying no I was not interested and was bombarded with promises of making $1700.00 a week for the times I would not be able to use the timeshare and was assured that Sunset Group would Buy back my timeshare at full value if I decided to sell. I kept refusing and they kept throwing numbers at me. The price dropped to $16,000 U.S. By the end of 6 hours I was exhausted and just wanted to leave. I handed over my Visa, they charged my account $8000 U.S. and I left there feeling like I made a big mistake.

I returned to Toronto on the 29th of December and decided to log on the computer to read more about the resort and the company. To my Horror I started reading about multiple fraud charges and broken promises regarding Sunset Group. Needless to say I felt sick.

I immediately wrote a cancellation letter exorcising my right to cancel within the 5 day period and sent it to their Miami address on December 31st, 07 by Purolator overnight delivery. I also sent copies of the letter at the same time to Cancun. A couple of days later I received a call from Lily Espinosa from the Cancun Office and I advised her I wanted out of my contract and have my Visa Card credited back. She asked that I send her copies of the letter and the Purolator receipts with proof I sent cancellation within the 5 day cancellation period. I sent the copies immediately to Lily via email and she confirmed they received the letters and she would get back to me.

After several attempts to contact Lily I finally got a hold of her she advised I would have to wait to hear a decision from the Board of Directors who would be meeting on Feb 6th, 2008 and they would review my request. She promised she would give me a call back on Feb 7th and assured me I should not have a problem in getting my credit card refund.

I did not get a call from Lily on Feb 7th and left several messages for her to call me back. I was finally able to get a hold of Lily on Feb 8th and she advised me I would be credited a full refund on my Visa. I asked Lily to please send me an email with confirmation that I would be getting a refund. I have not received the email from Lily.

I will keep you informed of my progress.

Va

Comments

• Sc
      4th of Jun, 2008

We were ripped off as well. Were you able to resolve?

19th of Nov, 2008

DUE AL RESPECT, YOU CANCELLED ON OTHERS PEOPLE PERCEPTION, YOU DIDNT HAVE ANY REASON, YOU EVEN TRIED IT.
    OF COURSE THEY WONT GIVE ALL THE ATTENTION TO A CANCELLATION, IN THEIR PLACE, I THINK YOU WONT NEITHER.
    I VE BEEN MEMBER SINCE FOUR YEARS AGO OF THIS COMPANY AND I AM VERY PLEASED.
    SIR, FIRST USE IT AND THEN YOU COMPLAINT.
    THE MOST OF THE COMPLAINTS ARE MADE FROM PEOPLE LIKE YOU, IS NAMED BUYERS REMORSE, DON T PLAY INOCENT POOR BABY.
    SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH, MY NATIVE LANGUAGE IS ITALIAN.

• Me
      1st of Jul, 2009

Sorry to hear this Harry. Timeshares are for people who want to live a certain lifestyle...you know "live the life." they aren't bad since you know what you're getting. I stayed at a 4 star resort one time and of course had high expectations. To my dismay i arrive and the rooms are crappy! This is where timeshares come into play. I have seen sunset's resorts and they are simply breathtaking. I'm not sure i can 'afford them now due to this never-ending recession but hopefully one day i want to be able to vacation more than once a year.

1st of Nov, 2009

Me and my wife went through the presentation but I am lucky to be stubborn enough to say no a thousand times for 6 hours straight. I cannot understand why anyone would defend this organization. I caught them in lie after lie and half truths all day. I just insisted on reviewing the actual contract line-by-line and comparing it to what they said we would get. I made a separate post with many of the lies listed. We didn't sign any contracts because I concluded they were complete thieves.

Melanafrank, you better do your homework first. I've seen the resort too. But the contract they tried to get me to sign did NOT include the resort they showed me. Read the contract, the one they showed me was 4 pages of requirements I must follow especially related to payments, and one paragraph about what they provide, which is very little and very vague. The two resorts I rented at for the last several years in Cozumel also had time-share people and we talked to them. The time-share people paid MORE than I did to stay at the same resort, eat the same food, and enjoy the same amenities. They were NOT happy.

And, Johann Mastropiero, I tried to get a one-time 'rental' at the facility, Tres-Rios, for a week to try it before I bought it. They absolutely refused to even consider it. You HAVE to join and sign your life away to "try-it" and then you are stuck with the contract.

I would discourage everyone from agreeing to participate in the 90 minute 'presentation'. If you do, say NO or that you want to take the unsigned contract home to review with a lawyer first. Any reputable company would let you do that. In my case it was 6 hours long of VERY high pressure sales. 3 sales people tag-teamed all day. And you will feel "captive". At some points I wanted to just pay to get out of there. It was very stressful but I got out of there without signing any contracts.

• Ti
      7th of Apr, 2010

The tmeshare industry in Mexico is taking almost a Billion Dollars every year from Americans and Candians. They are taking away their earnest money based on lies and misrepresentation. I have collected evidence to support the claims of thousands of people deceived from this company. Share this info with your general attorney, the Federal Trade Commsision, the Consulate of Canada and USA in Cancún as well as any government agency that you believe might be interested in putting pressure in the Mexican Government to stop these companies from scamming more honest people.

Please visit this website (specially the video section) to know in detail how these companies operate.