Sunset Beach Club Membership / Unethical and Illegal

1 Mexico Review updated:

This is a very long story that I am going to try and sum up, please avoid this company! If you have been or are in a similar situation, please start writing your local embassy asking them to step in and stop Sunset Beach Club from using such unethical sales tactics!

We made the mistake of attending a time share presenation at the Hacienda Tres Rios. They claim the presentation will only be an hour and a half but ended up being 6 hours of intense pressure and manipulative sales tactics. After signing a contract we cancelled within 5 days (you ALWAYS have 5 days to cancel in Mexico, this right cannot be waived or signed away for any reason) by fax. Four months later after writing letters, emails and making many phone calls Visa finally forced Sunset to refund our $8000 deposit.

To avoid a very lengthy complaint I have compiled a list of things Sunset has said or done to us that I consider unethical and some even illegal:

- during the presentation, every time we said 'No' they gave us another offer, brought over another sales person and (of course) more alcohol until we caved. The only way we could have avoided this was to get up and walk away, but as they were the ones providing transportation back to our hotel that was not a very desirable option.

- told us fax was not a valid method of cancellation (untrue) and that we had signed away our 5 day right to cancel (this is illegal).

- since we cancelled the contract legally they should have refunded our money within 14 days, it took 4 months and it was VISA who forced them to return our deposit (they broke the terms of their own contract, not to mention Mexican Law)

- refused to contact us except to threaten and lie to us about the terms of our contract.

-the last call I received was from a woman who said she was the last step before we were sent to arbitration. She said she was going to keep our deposit unless we agreed to keep the contract, we refused and found out a couple days later that VISA had already ruled in our favour and made them refund our deposit. THIS IS HOW FAR THEY WILL GO, OUTRIGHT LIES!

If you are in my situation you have probably done your homework on this company and read the numerous complaints from other people (if not just look around on the internet). Don't back down or believe what they tell you! Lodge complaints! Write the embassy! The only way we can make a change and protect other victims is to make it clear that this will not be tolerated.

Comments

• Ac
      13th of Mar, 2009

My wife and i went to one of these plases (not this one) and trust me...they all use these types of methods. You should have never gave in. we told them no 100 times i bet. finally i got so fed up i got up and walked to the claim area...forsed them to give the the free stuff they promised and left with out signing a contact. It was a 4 hr nitemare. Sad thing is...we were seriously thinging about it but just didnt want to do it that day. after the way they treated us when we said not today but maybe later...we changed our minds completly. They even try to provoke a fight with me saying what kind a man am i and what you cant afford this. you must be a real looser. I make over 550k a year but never told them that. sorry you had to go through all this. I glad u got your $$$ back.

• Ti
      7th of Apr, 2010

The tmeshare industry in Mexico is taking almost a Billion Dollars every year from Americans and Candians. They are taking away their earnest money based on lies and misrepresentation. I have collected evidence to support the claims of thousands of people deceived from this company. Share this info with your general attorney, the Federal Trade Commsision, the Consulate of Canada and USA in Cancún as well as any government agency that you believe might be interested in putting pressure in the Mexican Government to stop these companies from scamming more honest people.

Please visit this website (specially the video section) to know in detail how these companies operate.