sundialhomes.com / Poor service!

We bought our home and paid a premium because we were backing on to a future school site. After 4 years, the school board decided not to build the school there. The builder now is planing over 40 homes in this area. We did not receive the premium we paid to have this lot. To add insult to injury, in our new home, one of the rooms floor ventitlation does not work. No air conditioning, no heat. We had this room as a spare and never paid attention til one of the kids decided to move into this room.

Va

Comments

Va
  1st of Dec, 2006

Mr. J closed in July 2000. He paid $283,490 for 2681 square feet. The list price of the house was $278,990 plus he received $9600 in upgrades. Did he really pay the $3500 premium? His house is now worth over $500,000. He has lived there for years without any neighbors. Is there any value to that? The Town re-zoned the property and Mr. J was notified of the re-zoning by the town but did not appear to object before city council. The school site is not owned by Sundial Homes and Sundial Homes is not building the houses that will go there at some future date. All the sales documentation identified the property as a "proposed" school site. Mr. J has never contacted Sundial homes to discuss the situation.

Mr. J submitted his 3 month service list at the end of 2000 and never submitted anything further. The cold room issues have never been raised with Sundial. Doesn't Mr. J have an obligation to notify Sundial of any issues he may have? Doesn't Mr. J have an obligation to identify any deficiencies that he may have within a reasonable time? It has been over 6 years that he has been in possession of his house. At what point does he become responsible for his house?

Co
  16th of Oct, 2007

I have bought a house from Sundial Homes. It's been 2 months since we took possession and notified the builder about the missing Bell wire in the basement - which was noted at the inspection. The phone companies would only get the wire to the demarcation point - outside of the house. From there it is the builder's responsibility.

I repeatedly called Rhonda - the site coordinator - at their site at Central Park Village in Ajax. A couple of times she called me back and said she is going to have it fixed. The next time I called she said it's been fixed, only for me to drive there (150km round trip) to find that it wasn't. I have left now about 10 voice messages on Rhonda's answering machine and she never returned these calls anymore. I went there 3 times already (150km round trip) to check if anything was done, only to find that nothing was touched. There were also some other things that needed to be fixed at the house and were not.

I am very disappointed!!!

El
  14th of May, 2008

Actually, I'm not surprised that Sundial has NOT replied to your post here, nor the numerous complaints by the other buyers in Alton village on all the other complaint websites. There is a reason Sundial is marked as the third lowest builder in Ontario, and I only wish people like yourself were made aware of this before you bought.

Thankfully we don't live in a Sundial home, or in any area that has been ruined by Sundial workmanship. We received exactly what we paid for, from another builder. So I can tell you that yes, there ARE good builders out there, which makes what happened to you even more deplorable, even more unfair. Why should we spend the same money, and one of us get a nearly-perfect home, while the other end up in your position? We're not living in a third-world country here - there should be regulations to enforce quality of workmanship across the board!

Last weekend we took a drive through Alton Village and were absolutely shocked at the HORRIBLE look of the houses. They were left unfinished! There are nails all over the place, plywood not finished or covered up, and they have the nerve to say those houses have a nice "stucco-like wood trim"? It's absolutely sickening.

These "builders" should be put out of business - and sued by everyone they ever ripped off.

Be
  27th of Jun, 2008

I am stunt as to why Sundial is still in business? This company is obviously a huge scam and a nightmare, quality and service is of no concern to them. Legal action should be taken against them. My husband builds, designs and remodels homes and his company, although small takes pride in their work, the service they provide and especially the attention to detail. I am proud to say that his company is unique. I am appalled that this Sundial company is still functioning. I truly feel for every individual that has been scammed by this good for nothing company. Its sad how quality and customer service is now of these days at an all time low and its evident where ever you go.

Gl
  28th of Oct, 2008

I understand what you are going through with your new house and the disagreement this represent to you and your family.
I purchased a new home with Coleman homes in Feb 2007. We moved into our new house in July 2007, a couple months after we have moved into the house, my husband and I started noticing defects around the house. I contacted the builder and they sent Charles, the man in charge of fixing houses within the one year warranty. I showed him the list of things he needed to repair and after reviewing the list and walked around the house checking all the items, he said to me that nothing I had in the list was cover by the one year warranty.
Here are a few of the items he refuse to fix assuring me that they were not cover by the one year warranty: the master shower grouts turn yellow and crack within a few months of us moving in, the master shower door was placed to high and because of that, the water was flooding out to the floor, the a/c unit panel in the attic was leaking, nails were coming out the ceiling as well as the kitchen cabinets, one of the garage doors doesn’t open and my back yard fence fall off on one side, because they forgot to put the poll on the corner, and the list goes on. At this time I was 8 months pregnant and I told the builder I was going to take care of everything after having my baby, just for the fact that they were giving me a hard time with it.

After I brought my daughter back home from the hospital, she started having respiratory problems, she was vomiting everything she eat, and my 20 month old daughter had a chest congestion for quite some time, I inspected the entire house inch by inch and to my surprise, I found black mold in the master shower and the tub due to the cracking of the grouts, which moisture was going through and allow mold to grow. The mold was eating through the walls, I this point the walls within is full of mold. I contacted the builder again with regard to the shower and explain to them the health problems that they had cause to my babies; due to poor workmanship in the building of my house. Their response was shocking, Charles assured me that it was not mold and that I was exaggerating, all this over the phone, they have not come to even take a look at it. I started talking to one of my neighbors and she had the same problems I have in the master bathrooms, their some was sick for approximately 9 months, the doctors could not find out what was wrong with him, until she found the black mold all around the master bathroom, they inmetially move their son out their room and he started to get better within days. We were advice by our pediatrician to remove the babies out that room ASAP. Unfortunately, they are still refusing to fix the problem.
I have called the president of Coleman homes for weeks now and there is no answer from their side, I contacted the channel 11 news and there are coming to air our story, I will be the second home owner to air the problems.
Wish you the best of luck and GOD bless you and your family.

hope your husband is doing well.

Pa
  30th of Oct, 2008

I'm a small builder and a general contractor, I would like to address some of the issues. I well understand that what I have purchased from the Sundial Homes is not a custom built home but a subdivision house. Despite that fact, basic issues should have been addressed. Here are 2 points that everyone should be concerned with:

- sub floor area allows strong cold drifts that cause floors to be cold
- any cantilevered parts of the house are extremely cold in the winter; company rep told me that if they were to spray insulate for me they would have to do it for everyone else

The list of issues is much longer to include floors being off as much as 3-4" in places, mold, etc. And yes their service is poor, very, very poor. It is best described as a profit driven company not concerned with the home owner.

Paul

Mi
  2nd of Nov, 2008

As a home inspector that has done several inspections for the one year warranty in that Ajax development allow me a moment to offer some insight into the problem. A home owner complained that her master suite (over the balcony) was so cold that she could not use the room in winter. Upon furter inspection I discovered that there was no insulation what so ever in those joist spaces! There are several code voilations in this one area alone!
And yes their customer service can be described as non-existant at best. Do not look to Tarion for help as you, the homeowner, must prove the condition exists.
All home owners in this development will receive my company literature within the next 5 days.

An
  3rd of Jul, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I might as well keep this thread going. Unfortunately, I'm currently encountering less-than-stellar service from Sundial.

It's unfortunate that I'm even writing this, and I'm going to reserve judgement until my issue is resolved one way or the other, but the fact that I'm even writing this is disheartening to say the least.

Three years after the initial post and not much has changed from a customer service perspective.

Caveat emptor.

An
  17th of Aug, 2009

Agreed. Sundial was satisfactory to rent from until it came to getting our deposit back. The office staff was unprofessional, rude, and even hung-up on us. Moving up the chain to Diana Creason (owner) did not prove fruitful either. She followed her office staff's suit and was just as painful to deal with. They have very low prices for a reason. Would never recommend renting from or working with them.

Le
  15th of Sep, 2009

Sundial has created enough trouble for my daughter that she has been in tears on at least one occassion that I am aware of. This is not a company with a social concience for any after sales support.