Sundance Spas / Quality/Warranty of the spa

1 Merrillville, IN, United States Review updated:

We purchased a Sundance Spa Maxxus 880 back in 2005. This spa was supposed to be the top of the line that this store dealt with. The spa cost was a little over $10, 000, which I had no problem with paying if it is a superior product, as I like to believe that you get what you pay for. The day the spa was delivered we immediately noticed that a side panel was damaged. We called the store and explained the problem to them, and they got a repair person out within about a week and a half. Then after the first year or so of use, we noticed that the knobs were starting to turn a green color, when they were supposed to be gray. I contacted The Great Escape and they arranged for us to get these knobs replaced at no charge. So not long after talking with them they were out to fix the problem right away. Then a few months later we noticed that the pillows that are on the corners of the spa to serve as a head rest, were starting to peel really bad. The problem kept getting worse and worse as time went on. So we called again to get these replaced and were told by the salesman at The Great Escape that these would be covered under warranty. In the end we had to pay out of pocket to have these replaced. I asked Sundance Spas directly what they thought could be causing this peeling problem, and they did give a straight answer, they just kept reminding us that these pillows were not under warranty.

Meanwhile we notice that a trim piece on the stairs to get into the hot tub had fallen off. We were told that the stairs were not under warranty either, and it was suggested that we use some strong water proof glue to put this piece back in place. I did exactly as they suggested, and that help up for about a week. by the end of that season about 3 or 4 pieces had fallen off of the stairs, thus making them very unsafe to use.

Then about a year and a half ago we noticed that a couple (not all of them) knobs were starting to turn to a green color again. We contacted them again to have these replaced, and they stated that they would not replace them free of charge because they already did replace them once, and they insisted that the reason these were turning green was because of the chemicals being used in the spa. If that were true then why did only a couple of the knobs turn green and not all of them? The other issue I have with that, is the fact that we have only used the exact chemicals that we were suggested to use by The Great Escape. Regardless of the cost we always used their recommended brand, and type of chemicals.

So because of the fact that they are not standing behind their product I refuse to purchase these knobs again, as I don't want them to get any of my business. We are also having the same problem with the pillows peeling once again, and like before they refuse to do anything about it. I will never buy another Sundance product again! Not only would I not recommend them to anyone else, I make it a point to tell everyone I know about what a low quality, over priced product Sundance makes. I try my best to get the word out there, so people don't get suckered in to buying these sub standard quality products.

Comments

• Fl
      29th of Mar, 2010

The reason why your pillows are peeling is from the mixture of the chemicals and moisture being trapped between the cover and water. This isn't a sundance issue as I have had many spas and this is an issue with all spas. Sundance even allows you to pop them off easily. So if you are going for a long time without using the spa, pop them off and store them elsewhere.

The damage to the spa was most likely done by the dealer and not Sundance. That was probably done while they were delivering the spa. Again, most of those issues, including the stairs are the dealers issues, not Sundance. I've owned a sundance for years now and have been more than happy with it. Everything from the company I bought it to, to the spa itself has been perfect.

Again, if you don't take care of any spa, it will not last more than 5 years. If you do everything you are supposed to do, including weekly water tests and changing your water/filter every few months it can easily last you 20.

• Ha
      5th of May, 2010

I'm having the exact same problem with my Sundance Optima.
    Just after the 1 year mark half of the knobs turned green and the pillows are falling apart.
    I use their recommended chemicals and even have an expensive digital chemical tester to keep it perfect.

• Ds
      19th of May, 2010

A couple of my knobs are discolored (05 maxxus) but I never even thought it was a problem. I had/have a much more serious problem with my builtin stereo which never really worked. Stereo locks up and won't adjust in any way all the time. Tub needs to be powercycled to fix. It is an electrical problem and after 5 or 6 tries over the first two years by the dealer I gave up. If that wasn't bad enough, the thing that really really annoys me is that when I bought the tub the sales person went on and on how it was a five year warranty on the whole tub if anything went wrong. Since then I've found that just about everything that has gone wrong was not covered. Ozonator is two years, we'll have to charge you for that. Radio is two years, we'll have to charge you for that. Speakers are two years, we'll have to charge you for that. Diverters are only two years, we'll have to charge you for that. Headrests are wear items, you'll have to buy those. The one thing I did get under warranty is that the cover was replaced due to a defect. The new cover already weighs a ton due to a leak somewhere that let water inside.

Two things I've learned: Don't buy an ozonator, it's a waste of money. Don't buy an installed stereo, waste of money. Otherwise I seriously love it and use it all the time. Life's too short to let these things really bother me.

• Be
      7th of Jun, 2010

I have the problem, just bought 4 pillows & 4 inserts 6-7-10 also we had to replace 4 plusator jets that off flush with the tub surface while no one was using the spa. now I have the same problem with the spa cover, water logged & excessive mildew. I've tried everything to remove the stuff but works long term. So I look forward to a nother expendture for a new cover.

• Th
      16th of May, 2012

I bought the same model Maxxus and it also costed me over $10, 000. My pillows fell apart, my knobs also discolored. My Cover also fell apart. Since the spa is really large the cover comes in 3 pieces. Cause of this the larger piece in the middle is too heavy and collapsed in between the other 2 pieces, Sundance also advised me they do not make an attachment to assist you in removing the cover like other spas do. The cover is very heavy to lift alone( Cover is not warranteed) I can't seem to understand how a company that sells a product like this has no engineers in the company to design a freakin cover lift??? the cheapest spa companies carry lifts for all models. I also had a leaking problem that noone can find. They took my spa and did a leak test at the shop. Brought it back after 3 weeks and the spa was still leaking. Now my Radio stopped working. The repairman said the transfomer went bad and they want to charge me over $200.00 to replace a $50.00 Transfomer that is also not under warranty!!! I had it with Sundance anybody that asks me about it I totally tell them look elsewhere. SUNDANCE IS DEFINITLY NOT THE SPA COMPANY TO GO WITH!!! BEWARE STAY AWAY

• El
      2nd of Nov, 2013

Optima 880 2008. Sound system not turn on. Have pushed reset button. Can't find the two fuses to check them. Suggestions?
    Thank you!

20th of Aug, 2014

I bought a Maxxus 880 2 years ago.
    I paid i13.000€ for it.
    In those 2 years I had a pump leaking, fixed under warranty, but had to pay 160e wages?? huh???
    Then the knobs for the waterfalls failed, the door for the audio system broke off (we do not use the door as only the radio is used and controlled by remote.
    Last winter the display broke. Had to wait for 6 weeks to get the part replaced. Charged me 400€ in wages, so I get upset, but was forced to pay. I wanted to conclude my business with the dealer and contact Sundance to say I have yet another leak.!!!
    Sundance tells me that is not supposed to happen, but deal with it yourself. The dealer is no longer their dealer, so I am sent to another dealer.. In Germany, (I live in another country Belgium) And also a "FLO" problem occurs on the display.
    Go figure. What a piece of Junk. I can buy a cheap Chinese one for far less than half the money. friends of ours have that for 5 years, no problem at all.

No Sundance for me either, and I will recommend everyone not to buy sundance, and even more not to buy a spa at all. Fun the first year,
    but expensive to operate, and you hardly use it anymore. If you do, buy a cheap one.

• Ba
      4th of Dec, 2016

I purchased the Cameo spa, had I known that Sundance will not let you run the pumps and air and heat the water I never would have purchased this tub. The water cools off due to the lack of insight from Sundance.
    Anyone else have this problem?

• La
      15th of May, 2017

@Bandit017 The problem is you need 60 amps not 50 or 40. Have an electrician upgrade your sub-panel to 60 amps and you can run all jet pumps and the heater at the same time. This is clearly disclosed in the user manual. Or you can remove the safety feature on the circuit board and run the heater and pumps together, but the risk is on you, and you voided the warranty. So go for the amp upgrade instead.