Subscriber Services - Magazine Subscriptions / Fraudulent Magazine subscriptions

1 PO Box 741112Arvada, CO, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-851-8934

Typical telemarketing scam where they make it seem as if you've won something but to qualify for your winnings you have to buy something. But the real scam comes when they get your credit card number anf then sign you up for more over priced subscriptions than you bought in first place. And that's for five years by the way. My bill for six magazines is $59.87 a month. They also tell me that I cannot cancel. That comes out to $3592.20

Comments

15th of Jul, 2008

I USED TO WORK FOR SUBSCRIBER SERVICES AND FOR A FIVE YEAR SUBSCRIPTION IT WAS $59.87 A MONTH FOR 15 MONTHS. THAT COVERS YOUR FIVE YEAR SUBSCRIPTION AND YOU GET 5 FREE MAGAZINES. YOUR ONLY PAYING $3.99 FOR ONE MAGAZINE FOR A FIVE YEAR SUBSCRIPTION. IT IS A LOT OF MONEY IN THE END BUT IN ALL FAIRNESS, THIS COMPANY DID NOT SELL THE MAGAZINES. THEY ONLY HANDLE THE BILLING.

• Tr
      1st of Aug, 2008

Absolute scam. First strike: their "toll-free" number connects you to a completely unrelated company who's only awareness of Subscriber Services is the numerous wrong number calls they receive from customers -- looking for Subscriber Services. If you have caller ID you can get SS's regular Colorado area code number. Strike two: you spend your own minutes to call only to be told "Oh the company prepays for the advertising in the magazines so we can't cancel your subscription because they wont reimburse us." Scuze me? Then that's your own company's stupidity that deserves to be punished.

None of that is explained in the sales-pitch or any of the subscription literature they initially send you of course. If it had I would never have said yes to a five-year recurring charge of $51.91 monthly (for magazines that they stopped delivering btw) I would have told them to go to Hell.

Strike three: they call and tell you "well you've already paid for your first 16 months so now you just have to pay $51 every third month." okay I'm no longer interested in the "service" please cancel my subscription. "Oh but sir you'd be missing out on this great offer (4 magazine subscriptions for the price of 5 and the 5th one "free"!) and it only costs you $17 per month now!" No thank you I'm not interested, "well we're not able to cancel your subscription because the company has already bought and paid for the advertising, but you only have 4 more payments left anyway." Fine. Except the full $51 payments come through every month anyway. Apparently they will put you on the "do not call" list and get this: Renew your subscription. What they mean is 4 more payments on your current billing period and then automatic renewal since you can't cancel anyway.

I called my bank card fraud department and they advised me to close that account in order to stop the charges. This is inconvenient for me since I also have automatic payments to the phone and auto insurance companies that I would prefer to continue (since they're legitimate businesses).

• Se
      10th of Nov, 2008

I hate this douch bags..there trying to take me to court...but lil do they know how badass my attorny is..### goin down
    If anyone ever gets a yellow postcard in the mail. IGNORE IT
    its a bunch of BS
    A GIANT SCAM

• Br
      17th of Feb, 2009

Everyone who is complaining about this company is absolutely right. My husband was conned into this and I tried to call and cancel and got the same ole excuses! And not only are they a terrible company, on several occasions they called harrassing me that they didn't get there payment (which is a rip-off) when my check has already posted. So I had to go to my bank and fax them a copy of the cleared check. They are a bunch of idiots, apparently you have to have an IQ of 30 to be employed with this sorry company!

• Je
      9th of Jun, 2009

I hate Subscriber services, they fed me the same bs and me being an idiot fell into their scam. (i was probably drunk or asleep when they first CONtacted me). It is nice receiving magazines of all sorts but then when you lose your job and can't afford the extra commodity you got to cut back on you cost of living. I tried various times to cancel the subscription and all they tell me is "we're not able to cancel your subscription because the company has already bought and paid for the advertising". So i tell them thats their fault so they tell me "you have a verbal agreement, it can't be broken". (yeah sure buddy!) My last payment i gave them was in December 08. Now I receive a letter from a debt collector from them for a balance of $580. Yeah sure man expect a check in the mail. So I am planning on a lawsuit against those scammers they don't deserve my money. Down with S.S! I ain't going down without a fight.

• Bl
      27th of Aug, 2009

You know what, I got caught up in it when I got the phone call over 5 years ago. I paid my balance in full. Ended up being around $500 total. But, when I do the math of how many of those I usually bought at the store, I saved a ton more. I have never had a problem calling customer service and getting the magazines changed to something else if I don't like the magazine I'm getting. Just called today and they changed 3 more of my subscriptions. Really sucks though they don't let you cancel. I went through the same thing...I was renting a house, in college, making 8/hr. I'm sure the way the economy is there are many who probably are going through a similar situation like I had back then. They should really reconsider the policy. But, customer service has not been an issue on my end.

• As
      6th of Jan, 2010

After we both lost our jobs, I contacted them and spoke with a supervisor who "settled" my account for a lower amount which I paid. I told them I did not ever want to be contacted by them again for any reason. Found out when they tried billing me for a RENEWAL agreement that they had sent me a letter or card that they say I needed to return. That by NOT returning it, I AGREED to a renewal!!! Never heard of such a thing. I called and told them they do not have my consent or authorization to bill anything to my card or even to try anymore. The idiot I had on the phone tried to offer me a cheaper buyout of my contract. Told him I did that last year and told the supervisor never to contact me in any way ever again. I feel like a mouse stuck in a wheel that someone else is spinning!!!

27th of Feb, 2010

i got conned into the same thing! i got a new credit card and never updated my card with them for a reason. i get calls from them up until 9 at night. they called me once and i was at work and told them i couldnt talk and they just kept on going. i hung up on them and didnt agree to anything. now im getting bills in the mail left and right. im going to find a lawyer and sue these people for harrassment. i told them countless times to stop calling me and they never do. after reading everyones comments i am going to do this asap!

• Li
      10th of Nov, 2010

All the comments above has also happened to me. I'm scared! What do I do ? I'm on disability and like an idiot I paid in full because I most likely will not be here in three years and didn't want my family to have to deal canceling magazines. I received a letter from them saying I was paid in full and I am hanging on to it. They keep calling me saying that thay understand that I am getting harrassing calls from the other companys they work with. They then go on to ask me more personal questions saying it is for legal purposes to protect me and then they give me a code in which I am to give to the next telemarketer that calls. What good does that do I ask and they say it will help track down the harrassing caller. I ask for their name and then I get hung up on. I cancelled my credit card and if they distroy my crdit OH well. I have nothing else I need in life and to just sit and read a magazine or two while I am in dialysis is no longer appealing to me. I just don't need this on top of everything I am dealing with!!!

• Vp
      12th of Nov, 2010

They will charge your credit card without your permission unless you call them before a date in a letter that they mail to you.
    I ordered four magazines from them several years ago (maybe 8 years). The account was paid in full and not renewed. They have continued to call. Usually the calls are during the day, so they get the answering machine and no message is left. But, their phone numbers are on my caller ID. On November 4th, I received a letter from them saying that they would charge my credit card if I don't contact them by November 24th. That is reverse logic. They don't have my permission to charge my card in the first place. Why do I have to contact them to cancel something that I have never ordered? Today (November 11th), I contacted them to ask them not to charge my card. They agreed, but the complaint still remains that they don't have my permission to charge my credit card in the first place.

• Jr
      30th of Sep, 2011

They still charging people as they want it, I call them, because I never received any magazine, they need 120 days to change my address and I will receive those magazines, but next month I have to paid anyway, I tried to cancel, they said, this is not possible... they just lower my payment and extend the years... come on!
    What kind of company is this? no cancelation policy? I paid already 5 months and I did not received anything just the bills... What are my choices???

• Da
      7th of Dec, 2012

I called this service and requested to cancel the whole subscription as I became unemployed. they did not care and said I had to pay and that it was not possible to cancel. finally a so called supervisor came on the phone saying they would lower the amount of the payments--excuse me did they even hear what I said???? this company will not get another penny out of me even if it means getting a new credit card. if they threatened legal action it would not stand--no contracts were ever signed. this was truly a rip off scam and it is a shame such "companies" even exist to harass the US consumers

• Du
      6th of Mar, 2014

So my dumba** just signed up with and i know i plenty of $ in there atleast over $100 and now i am down to $5 and some change in m bank acct, also i was told would only have to pay $39.97 and $69.97 was charged to my debit.. NOT HAPPY, i work customer service so 2 can play at this game!

• Tl
      7th of Mar, 2015

This place is horrible and they target people on disability because they know you have a steady check every month. They now have my brother for 5 years of payments he is realy sick and I had no idea he had this till they tried to take a payment out and the money was not in his account we had to use it for his medical supplies.. ### do not care and said they will sue... I will go to my grave to make sure his company goes under!!!

• Re
      22nd of Nov, 2015

11/09/15 Keyline: 544222CSS99194L96 ID# 1530 9000 3700 Type NLP I have previously submitted a cancellation notification for this magazine. I officially request that the cancellation notice be processed asap and I further request not to receive any additional notices from that company or your company on this matter. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in these matters. Lynda Cassidy