Subcontract Newspaper Delivery / Bad service

1 12806 Gotham Dr.Houston, TX, United States Review updated:

I delivered the Houston Chronicle for 16 days in June and was not able to continue the work due to being disabled with adrenal insufficiency. I put in my notice and was told that since I did not complete the 30 days notice I agreed to in the contract, that I would not be paid in full I received on $52 dollars which means I lost money in this job with the price of gas. The working conditions, no days off, the expectations of getting the papers rolled, bagged and loaded in the car and delivered in two hours is impossible when the front page is delivered at 2:30 most days. I had no idea that in the USA there existed jobs such as these where the impossible is expected and they are legally allowed to take your wages if you cannot work the 30 days of notice. This is ethically and morally wrong. I am in dire need of the money I earned and am going to make sure that the Houston community at large is made aware of the slave like working conditions for the paper carriers for the Houston Chronicle.

Va

Comments

• Jt
      26th of Sep, 2008

You were an independent contractor who did work for them, not an employee, so your point is without merit.

• Co
      15th of May, 2011

You knew what the contract contained before you signed it. You can get days off. You can train anyone that you know as a substitute and they can come in whenever and deliver the papers without you being there. They do not take your wages. They charge you for every paper delivered until they can find someone else to take over the route. They charge you because if you quit without notice, a district manager has to do the route and they do not get paid for doing so. If 2 hours was not enough time to complete your route, you should have hired help or asked for a smaller route. It is not morally wrong to charge you for deliveries that you fail to make. You inconvenienced the newspaper, as well as every customer on the route by quitting without notice and the newspaper, in turn, inconvenienced you. There are consequences for your actions.

• Tx
      17th of Aug, 2011

Good day,

I am reaching out to anyone that would be able to solve our newspaper hand delivery needs in our Downtown Houston Market.. We have a weekly newspaper publication that delivers every Monday to Houston businesses.
    Professional attitude a must. Please contact me if you are interested or have questions.
    Jessica Paxton
    Texas Lawyer
    jpaxton@alm.com
    214-744-7709

• Pa
      31st of Mar, 2014

Ok first of all when presented with this contract you are not give any time to review it and are told you will get a copy.. But you won't receive one even asking for it every day of work and it is morally wrong to charge a carrier 2$ per complaint when he/she is only given less then 1$ to deliver it. I beleive this job can be a good job but when treated unfairly and taken advantage of comes into play ... It sucks and that is why this individual is expressing his opinion. Now as far as quitting without notice.. Ya your wrong buddy but I do understand what pushed you to that point. Word of advice get your money first then walk out and to the other commentee why don't you put yourself in the situation of roleing and delivering over 300 papers In less then 1 hour because the truck driver had to stop at Denny's and then when your not finished ... Keep working and wasting your gas ... Yes YOUR... Gas to be shorted on a paycheck then u can talk ... Prolly some overpaid DM ... Sit back !!