Student of Fortune / Allowing Illegal Activity

So I've absolutely had it with this site Student of Fortune.com. Do they not realize what the Hell copyright infringement is? One user in particular there, javstudent, has purchased a copy of just about everything available on the site. Why is that a big deal? Because then javstudent turns around and sells everything at a lower price without an ounce of an attempt to change the content. It's downright copyright infringement, and regardless of at LEAST a dozen complaints, the user is allowed to continue operating his scandalous business on the site.

Does continuing to host the "stolen" materials not constitute an illegal action? Couldn't this site be sued by the original authors for allowing this behavior to continue even after they've been informed countless times about javstudent's modus operandi?

Comments

• Be
      9th of Feb, 2010

I would have to agree with this initial post about Student of Fortune and the unethical things that go on there. It seems everyday someone is posting about a tutor stealing another’s work then reselling it. This has been happening since I have been there of one year and a half. Some tutors, all you have to do is look at their feedback to know they are up to no good.

This site is clearly not being used for the original intended purpose. Not only are many tutors stealing work for profit but much of the work done on Student of Fortune is completed by the tutor for the student. I think the intended purpose of this site was for a student to get help in understanding their work not to have it completed by another. In my opinion the site should be held accountable for lost profits to many tutors from the first complaint on a bad tutor, especially if the complaint was in fact proven to be legit.

It seems this Student of Fortune site has no guidance from the owner Sean nor does the current site administration seem to care about anything but the bottom line buck they are making from students and tutors stolen work. Sure seems like many aspects of this site could be changed to make it a more enjoyable place to be. The problems are so obvious but there does not seem to be a soul who gives two flying ###!

23rd of Mar, 2010

Try www.aceyourclasses.com they are awesome

23rd of Mar, 2010

aceyourclasses.com specializes in only Axia assignments and tutorials. They are the cheapest on the net. They sell classes for 10.00!!

23rd of Mar, 2010

SOF ARE FULL OF THEMSELVES. ALL THE WORK ON THAT SITE IS PLAGIARIZED LIKE A MILLION TIMES! www.aceyourclasses.com is the place to go!

• Au
      19th of May, 2010

SEAN I AM aulii123 and you do not respond to my messages. You guys threw me out for no good reason after I made all that money for not just me but your site too. I deserve to be put back on. The site has so many users that are buying work and reposting it so I would say that your site is a whole copyright infringment site. I have messaged you umerous times about people reselling my work and you guys let those thieves stay and continue to be tutors on your site. I was a well respected tutor and you did not even take the time out to answer my messages. Whats up with you guys???

• Au
      19th of May, 2010

Sean
    I would like to express my apologies. Thanks so much for taking the time out and listen to me. I must say that SOF is by far the greatest! I love your site and reccomend it to anyone who needs money! You guys are the greatsst!

21st of May, 2010

Aceyourclasses.com sells material purchased from StudentOfFortune.com. Ever hear of copyright infringement? I suggest reading up on Title 17 Chapter 1 Sections 102-106 of the US Code. You might want to take special note of the penalties and restitution a judge can order. Ask yourself if stealing from honest people is really want Aceyourclasses.com wants to do. One proof is all that will be required to ruin your world.

As for the post by "Antivirus, " I would like to do two things: 1) acknowledge that I started a group of honest tutors who police the StudentOfFortune.com website and report instances of copyright infringement to the site's administration and 2) deny any involvement in the original post on this page. No one in the group had permission to use the group's name in such a manner. As far as I am aware, only the group members and the site's administration are aware of our group; so far no one in the group will admit to talking about our group to non-group members, nor will anyone admit to having posted the original message on this page.

To address Sean McCleese's post: Hi again Sean!

Mr. McCleese and I have spoken on a number of occasions regarding the evolution of the StudentOfFortune.com website. I have watched the site grow from around 5000 posted questions to nearly 200, 000 in a just about 2 years' time. While the site has increasingly become the place to go for academic help, the site has also been flooded with criminals who buy material and then sell the exact same material for a few dollars less. After two sales, they've made their investment back.

Make no mistakes. StudentOfFortune.com is still the place to go for academic help. I would only advise users of the site to take advantage of the site's feedback system and investigate every user who posts material that you may be interested in. The feedback system is the key to getting the most from the site. Also, insist on seeing previews of documents before you purchase them. Some people like to hide "stolen" materials behind non-previewable file formats and hope their rock-bottom price sells the material instead of a preview selling it. Please do not support copyright infringement by purchasing whole classes for $10 from someone whose feedback contains several accusations of selling someone else's work. The StudentOfFortune.com administration and (the real one) are hard at work making the site a better place for everyone. We urge you to come check it out instead of relying on what a couple misinformed individuals have to say about it.

24th of May, 2010

TheRealArkayn you are so full of yourself. You and SOF are nothing but liars. Copyrighted material is what SOF is all about. The whole site is a big joke. All work on there has been sold millions of times. You act as if you are married to SOF quit acting like your the police or sherrif of the site and get a real job you idiot.

24th of May, 2010

Aces555 - You're right; StudentOfFortune.com is about copyrighted material. It's because of people like you who disregard copyright law that StudentOfFortune.com has become a place where users need to exercise caution when purchasing material. Users should be able to feel comfortable in purchasing additional material from StudentOfFortune.com if their first purchase does not quite meet their needs, but sadly a slew of "make money the easy way" criminals has invaded the site. Because of blatant copyright infringement, users must exercise caution and take additional steps to ensure they're not paying twice (or more) for the same thing. If both the StudentOfFortune.com terms of use and US Copyright Law were being obeyed by everyone on the site, these precautions would not be necessary.

Full of myself? Yes, and with good reason. I write some of the best material available on the site. I don't need to infringe on another author's rights to make money. Perhaps if you must break the law to make money, you should consider another line of work. I also love it when someone misspells "your" and calls me an idiot in the same run-on sentence; it's pure comedy gold.

• Ni
      23rd of Aug, 2010

I agree that legit tutors on the SOF site often get the short end of the stick & thieves continue to make money from us. I see this as something that SOF should have seen coming & policed from day one - its very irresponsible of them! I am very proud of the work I do & the excellent guidance & customer service that I provide. I go 2 school, work, & maintain a tutoring account with SOF. I only sell work that I have done myself in the classes that I have taken & I don't make a quarter of what most dishonest sellers do - its shameful! I work so hard to give students excellent work & the cheaters prevail. I've made SOF a lot of money but they don't seem to want to defend the hard workers.

23rd of Aug, 2010

This coming from someone who bought a class one day and posted it as *NEW AND ORIGINAL WORK* the next. Don't worry; I have screen shots.

• Ri
      3rd of Sep, 2010

The RealArkayn, please sit aside, because not everyone commits copyright infringement, when they are trying to do the right thing, and all of a sudden you have tutors like yourself, which I have seen your rating, which is good, please stop trying to play cops and robbers to have someone banned for no apparent reason if you don't really have the proof of them reselling your work. I had my account closed for no reason and no one answered my email from sof in 3days that I sent to let me know why. So sof don't always respond to every email that comes through to them, talking about academic honesty, there are tutors that gives the answer to the question that the person is asking and this is definitely cheating as Sean says, so why are they not looked at and banned hello. So lets get it right, I definitely agree with acess555, come with something new. I like sof but I feel they need to keep a look on those tutors also who been with them along time and if they aren't doing right banned them too.

3rd of Sep, 2010

Thank you, ridicule. I should know my place as a tutor who is supposed to sit idly by and watch as copyright infringement, not tutoring, becomes the way to make money on the site. Right...

I don't intend to have people banned for no reason; if I catch you or anyone else infringing on copyrights, then I'll play cops and robbers all I like because criminals take away from the amount of money the honest-to-goodness tutors can make. I *HIGHLY* doubt your account was closed for no reason. Perhaps you were selling something you didn't write? That's the easiest way to get reported to the site by people like me who remember a time when there was only one or two [censor] on the site instead of the seemingly endless stream we have today.

A word of advice, ridicule: don't bother trying to tutor anyone in matters where grammar is important.

• Ri
      3rd of Sep, 2010

Hi RealArkayn, thank you for knowing your place as a tutor, instead of playing cops and robbers, I supposed as you say. Let sof take on this job, not you, this is what they suppose to do, monitor those ones that are selling other people work. I "HIGHLY" know that you don't know why either why my account is closed, unless you are part owner of sof, I don't have to sell anyone else work, I do my own. Well they don't need extra help to find those [censor] that are reselling someone work, I am sure they have someone who does that, and for you perhaps grammar is not helping you at all either, I definitely know how to tutor someone with grammar.

• It
      19th of Sep, 2010

SOF is scam. They banned me for no reason. When I mailed them, they replied back that I sell work copied from web. I have A+ ratings and do you think students will rate me A for selling copy-paste? I have saved all the mails sent by their support team and if I shoe it anyone, 99 out of 100 will say that this is wrong. SoF is SCAM because they banned me for no reason

19th of Sep, 2010

SoF does not ban people for no reason. If they wanted to ban anyone for no reason, they'd ban their top tutors and continue to sell their materials, something they have every right to do according to their terms of use. The only reason you're on here complaining is because you can't sell copy-pastes for an easy $50/week anymore. Be happy the site didn't report you to the original authors of some of the material you were selling; copyright infringement would have cost you far more than you made on SoF.

• It
      21st of Sep, 2010

There was some misunderstanding. When I joined SoF, I used some of the information from the net if it was used for general purpose(not for the papers or assignment). They warned me and after that I did not posted anything from net and I used to solve maths question only in which we provide step by step solution. The only mistake I did was that I forgot to delete those 3-4 tutorials and as a result I was banned. But now the problem is solved. BIG THANKS TO STUDENTOFFORTUNE

• So
      3rd of Oct, 2010

So you've had it with StudentOfFortune.com? Funny, you're still selling tutorials and I assume you continue to withdrawal money from the site. Don't be a hypocrite, you do a good enough job at pretending to be a copyright attorney... delete your StudentOfFortune account.

I'm willing to bet that you will not put your money where your loud mouth is.

Regards

• In
    Best Best Advice

What was the deal with sudipta? Your number one tutor?

You let him for as many years as you needed to send spines down your site's back - and then when money started coming in through so many tutors like sudipta - many hundreds from India and China - you CHUCKED them bloody off.

You removed every trace and every thread of such users - come on, Sudipta made you atleast a half million. His own pay was over 120K.

Thus Im led to believing your site is a kind of a white american circus - you take slaves off India and China, make tutors work their [censor] off, and then chuck them.

YOU ARE CHUCKERS, in my opinion.

Tutors from India and China are your backbone - no cheap 3rd world tutors - NO MONEY IN YOUR POCKETS.

Mooching off dollar paying studenta and sending money off in lesser currencies??

NO INDIAN/CHINESE tutors would be advised by me to work at Student of Fortune - the flawed method of business is to blame also. Work at Tutor Vista or someplace where you get rewarded - not abused.

They will chuck yu off like that - just grow big enough to scare them :)

• In

Bosses at SOF!

I forgot, how can you treat your members based upon their IP addresses - you treat Indian tutors like cattle - good to rear and then discard when not needed.

Lets see here, okay:

1. How can you let western users - usually competing tutors malign and BASH indian tutors and get away with it? Prospectiveman or someone - kept making derogatory statements toward sudipta for an example and you didnt so much as take a step to prevent let alone remove such malice from your forums.

2. You come here citing US laws right?

Lets see - do you know - since your servers are in the continental US, that you cannot employ foreign persons - OR EVEN CONTRACT them, as you like to call them.. to be "tutors" ... since such persons are not permitted to work without appropriate immigration formalities. Paypal helps right?

Wait till you are under the microscope - no tutors would be able to help when you get accounted for. That website of yours is a pile of stolen sludge from countries abroad - your tutors cant work [censored] for the money offered.

And you, sirs, you KNOW IT and you pray it keeps ON AND ON.

Now dont come here telling me what your policy says.

And Mr "Antibody" or "Antibiotic" - you sir seem like a spit ball out of the site owner's mouth :) WHat are you a labrador or something? I wish you were on my porch. Dou*(e anti inflammatory.

8th of Oct, 2010

Complain all you want, but the fact of the matter is that if you didn't write it, don't attempt to sell it. Sudipta was canned because he/she was selling the work of another tutor word-for-word. It's copyright infringement and basically amounts to theft. Many other so-called "tutors" from overseas are joining the site and selling copy-pastes, creating a nightmare of an administration task because they don't understand English or US laws enough to realize they can't just sell things they're copy-pasting from other websites.

StudentOfFortune.com is a tutoring website, not a site to show off your Google skills.

9th of Oct, 2010

There is a new site that will treat everyone equally! They charge no fees to withdraw money! They pay you twice a month www.aceyourcollegeclasses.com

9th of Oct, 2010

It's too bad the site only exists to install a keylogger and steal your StudentOfFortune.com user name and password. My sandbox software doesn't lie.

• St
      9th of Oct, 2010

sof bans only those tutors who are paying with copyright infringment laws so there is nothing worng...and i think they are doing their job well, i am satisfied with sof... thumps up to sof...

• Al
      9th of Oct, 2010

Its happened with me as well, that's why I keep my password 20 characters long so the thiefs can spend all the millenniums they need to hack in. ITM you got banned because you sold other people's work... case closed. Nevertheless, I know JavaStudent is stealing your work Real AR

AlgebraExpert

• Al
      9th of Oct, 2010

Its not as bad as with me... my appendixes are selling like hot cakes and so many people are selling them I can't even keep count.

• Pi
      15th of Oct, 2010

I had never heard of this site until last night when one of my fellow students in my MIT program came across the discussion I posted in class this week being offered for sale by another student in my class for ten dollars. I looked into Ebad050 who is actually attending AIU in the MIT program right now and just got his BIT along with me at AIU recently. Syed Ebad Hirmani has not written any of the answers he has posted. Everything he posted he copy/pasted from other students at AIU. If you had the liberty to read Ebad's own work you would have difficulty understanding it as English is not his first language.
    I checked out the rest of this web site and filled with losers begging to pay someone to write their papers for them that get fed plagiarized material from criminals. There is no tutoring going on at this site that I can see, there is nothing but crime going on from both ends the students and the so called tutors.

I'm oh so luck (not) to have Ebad050 in my group this class to write a group project, want to bet he sells that paper on Student of Fortune.com? Want to be that if he does that will be the last thing he ever copies and pastes again?

Mad as hell that this creep is stealing my work and making money off of it!!

15th of Oct, 2010

The proper procedure to take is to file a DMCA complaint with the site. You can even request the user's personal information to use in filing a civil suit. Make him pay!

3rd of Nov, 2010

For axia tutorials go to aceyourcollegeclasses.com you can post your questions and earn money tutoring people are much more friendlier there. Get your withdrawn money earned in less then 48 hours!

3rd of Nov, 2010

And spam your link all over the web to get a user base! Misslady, you disappoint me. BUY some freaking advertising, would ya?

• Se
      11th of Nov, 2010

I get my help from from www.uopaxiasolutions.com

• Ar
      29th of Nov, 2010

If you are in need of homework help or if you just want to answer some questions to earn money, than you need to go to www.aceyourcollegeclasses.com heres some info about the site:
    Want to make money by helping students with their Homework questions?

Want to get that help you need for those tough Homework questions?

Then you need to check out this new site at www.aceyourcollegeclasses.com

AYCC is simply a site that is marketplace for online tutorials that can aid you in getting homework and gives you the opportunity to offer your help to others and of course **EARN MONEY**

The site is **FREE TO JOIN** No fees to withdraw your money through PayPal

29th of Nov, 2010

Ha! Spam less please.

7th of Dec, 2010

Hello,

I've been using this website for few months and had enough. These people running the tutoring community are idiots!

First, I'm a graduated and skilled writer, and have published hundreds of tutorials, all original. I must say that SOF doesn't protect tutors at all, or maybe they just protect some (their old college friends maybe, lol!) and ignore others (especially those outside the US I guess).

No one should tell me here that they ban scammers, because they don't. My work has been stolen! I have proofs and of course reported the fraud. I contacted SOF and gave them ALL information they need to know to investigate and catch the thief. I gave them the name of the fraudulent user, all the links to my original work and the stolen one (that was posted by the thief 100% in my words!), every little information so that they don't need to get back to me to ask more detail (to make it quicker to stop the thief!). Their reply? Read this:

"Hello
    For us to resolve this issue, you need to show us where your tutorials were posted by the other user, and where you originally posted the tutorials.
    Please create a simple table with 2 columns. One column showing where the other user posted the tutorial, and the other showing where you posted the same tutorial first. With that information we can remove the tutorials and take further action as appropriate.
    Thanks for using Student of Fortune"

Is this a joke? What is the level of these people running this website? How come they need all the detailed information I sent to be resent in a format of table with 2 columns???!!! I have never seen such stupidity on any other website. They can't process any complaint apart from in that childish format???

Now, there is worse. After re-sending all the information as they requested, this is the next reply:

"Dear Claimant,
    We received your claim that certain content on the Student of Fortune Website infringes your copyright in that content. Please provide us with the following information within ten days of the date of this notice, and we will remove the allegedly infringing material until the matter is resolved or it is determined that the material cannot be restored to our Site.
    i. The name, address, and electronic signature of the complaining party
    ii. The infringing materials and where on the Site you located them.
    iii. Describe the materials that you claim ownership of (the Original Materials), and please give us enough detail so that we can find the allegedly infringing material on our Site.
    iv. A statement by you, that it is your good faith belief that the person or people who posted the allegedly infringing material have no legal right to do so or to make use of the Original Materials.
    v. Include also the statement: I declare under penalty of perjury that the statements I have provided are true and correct and that I have a right to make the claims either on my own behalf or as an authorized representative of the owner of the Original Materials.
    vi. Sign and date your statement and send it to:
    Michelle Katz
    Student of Fortune, Inc.
    PO Box 515381 #34975
    Los Angeles, CA 90051-6681
    Fax:425 671 2773
    Email:[protected]@studentoffortune.com

When we receive your signed Statement, we will remove the allegedly infringing materials pending further investigation. The person who posted the allegedly infringing material has two weeks to respond to your claim. If he or she does not respond within that time frame, we will permanently remove the allegedly infringing materials. If he or she does respond, we will provide you with a copy of his or her sworn statement denying your claim of infringement. Pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, if after you receive that statement you do not bring a lawsuit in district court within 14 days, we will restore the material to its former location on our Site. Please notify us if you elect to file a Claim in district court so that we continue to keep the allegedly infringing materials off of the Site.
    Sincerely,
    Student Of Fortune"

What the hell!! If they are going to send me all this, why did they send me that previous response asking for the 2-column format details at the beginning??? And how is that I'm to prepare a document with my name, address, signature, etc, to be addressed by them to the thief to respond to my complaint? Isn't it enough this [censor] stole my work? He/She is going to know my private information as well??? What's next? Helping them hack me? Sending them my credit card info??!

And, so, supposing they dare to deny their theft, how am I to travel from Europe to the US in 14days to bring a lawsuit to district court??? And if I don't/can't, SOF would leave the stolen work on their website, a work they can check in 2minutes to find out that I have been stolen by someone who is by the way also posting things stolen from Internet!!! (I can see it from previews on tutorials!)

Teachers, tutors, writers, students... If you are going to publish your own work on SOF, KNOW that you are NOT protected. I'm leaving SOF, I'm so disgusted. How does it feel to have your work sold by another person on a website that claims to ban fraudulent activity and cheating? I find SOF very encouraging thieves, because they don't give it a damn about serious investigation; they don't care about stopping fraud, banning thieves! It's all about money! What else could be??? MONEY! They have no serious severe professional system to make fraud a hard task. But they have damn quick questions' board administrators who delete any alerting notice posted by tutors as a question to make other tutors aware of scammers. Amazing.

Well, I'm glad I found https://www.complaintsboard.com, and this complaint already posted long ago (I wish I googled about SOF before joining!!!); I'm happy to share my experience here with existing and future tutors who might face the same troubles on SOF. And I see I'm not the only one who had issues with them.

Be careful. SOF is ran by "cowboys".
    You will find out yourself if you decide to take the risk and join their ranch.

God Bless.

12th of Dec, 2010

this site is full or corrupted tutors. The highest paid tutors get to pick which tutors are kicked off the site to keep their sales high. Customer service is the worst. wait 5 weeks to get your money. Look elsewhere for tutoring

12th of Dec, 2010

The highest paid tutors do not get to pick and choose who stays. If we did, we'd kick everyone off the site. Duh? We get people kicked off the site who are infringing on copyrights. Nothing more and nothing less. Customers' best bets are to get help from proven tutors rather than take chances with people who have little or no feedback.

15th of Dec, 2010

Been a tutor there too made over 24000 dollars they banned me because of the corruption on the site. I cam across this new site called www.aceyourcollegeclasses.com and they are exactly like sof but better. The staff there is so friendly and you get paid 48 hrs after you withdraw your money. TheRealArkayn is one of the main reasons good honest tutors get thrown of the site. Trust me go and register at aceyourcollegeclasses.com it is a new site but once it catches on it will blow sof away! Spread the word!

15th of Dec, 2010

You know what? You're absolutely right about one thing: I'm one of the main reasons CRIMINALS get thrown off the site. I have taken it upon myself to help protect the SoF community from fraud by ensuring that people who post copy-pastes from the Internet and the work of others are reported to the site's administration for COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT. The problem with the site you're spamming for (yet again) is that there is no way to see previews and therefore no way for someone to tell when they're about to purchase duplicate material. I know LOTS of people who purchase more than one tutorial in hopes of getting a few different viewpoints, and I know LOTS of people who are (rightfully) extremely upset when they end up with duplicates. AYCC doesn't provide previews, therefore AYCC brand loyalty will absolutely suck when people start purchasing duplicates.

Misty11 (and "everyone else" who's spammed for AYCC) - you say AYCC will catch on. Put your money where your mouth is and protect people's copyrights by showing a preview of the posted material. I swear to everything I can swear to that if I find my material on your site, you're in for one hell of a court case.

• Sd
      19th of Jan, 2011

screw sof www.aceyourcollegeclasses.com is the bomb

19th of Jan, 2011

Nothing like a free advertising space, huh? AYCC does nothing to protect users' copyrights, therefore it will never be used by intelligent people.