Structural Financial Settlement LLC / Scam

1 East Palo Alto, CA, United States Review updated:

Received a check for the amount of $4910.00 indicating that I was the 2nd prize winner in an International Sweepstake(which i did not enter) draw held on Jan 31, 2010. The letter indicated I won $150k and the enclosed check for $4910.00 was too pay taxes in the amount of $3491.00 to Jerey Samuel & Karen Brown via Western Union/Money Gram.

The letter advised to contact claims agent "David Hill" at [protected] to activate check.

The business name printed on the check was:
J & S Caefeterias Inc., High Point, NC 27262

but was had to pay $3491 in t

Comments

• Ji
      26th of Apr, 2010

I just received the same exact letter in the mail. After the first minute of dreaming of being debt free, I fell back to reality and relized
    "If its too good to be true its probably not."
    Please be careful people.

• Je
      27th of Apr, 2010

I just got the same thing..I wonder how they got our name and address.

• Mi
      30th of Apr, 2010

We got the same letter too...obviously it's a scam right?!? Did anyone call the agent David Hill? Anyone try to cash that check...too bad it's not real =(

• Hu
      1st of May, 2010

I just got the same letter in the mail. I knew it was a scam because this has happened to my grandfather before. I am thinking about bringing the letter and the check to my local police department so they can hopefully investigate it. I am in Las Vegas, NV so there is a lot of fraud out here. Hopefully no one will cash the check. What I have seen happen before is you will go to the bank and cash the check, send the tax payment through western union and then a few days later your bank will contact you and tell you that the check did not clear. So, you already sent the money off, which you have no way of getting back, and you have to pay the bank back... therefore, you are out $3, 491.00..

• Ga
      1st of May, 2010

I also just received the same check. I checked the bank online and the routing numbers dont match. Im sure its a scam.. But hey it was a nice thought.

• Gc
      3rd of May, 2010

Thank you to the folks at the Complaints Board for providing this web site to weed out scams. We as well, received the scam letter stating we had won $150, 000. The obvious clue it is a swindle requires you to send $3, 491 to “Tax Agents” by Western Union or Money Gram. We pay our taxes to the IRS April 15th not to anyone else. Barnum Bailey stated, "There's a sucker born every minute”. We wonder how many will be fleeced of their money by this racket? If it is too good to be true, it must be.

• Pa
      3rd of May, 2010

My husband received the same letter that several complainants have written about. Recevied a check of 4910.00 indicating that he was a winner in and international sweepstakes( which he did not enter). Drawing was held Jan. 31, 2010. The letter indicated he won 150k and the enclosed check was for the taxes in the amount of 3491. to Johne Edward & Joanna Williams via Western Union/Money Gram. The letter advised him to contact claims agent David Hill at 1-778-223-1476 to activate check. The name of the 4k check was Parker Hannifan Corporation out of Cleveland, Ohio. My advise to anyone receiving this letter is to make copies of everything, take it to your local police departments, and we should all consider launching a class action suit against them.

• Hl
      4th of May, 2010

I got the same letter and check. Same claims as described above. For this one, they used Parker Hannifin (a legitimate company). Came in a plain white envelope with no return address but did have a 1 dollar Canadian stamp. I'm going to forward to our state attorney General's office. Suggest you do the same.

• Su
      4th of May, 2010

My husband just received the same letter, with virtually the same wording. His check was made out by the Parker Hannifin Corporation, 6035 Parkland Blvd., Cleveland, OH. The bank named at the top of the check was Keybank of Ohio.

Knowing full well this was a scam, I actually called the number (1-778-223-1476) and spoke with a foreign-sounding man claiming to be "Mr. Hill." I expressed my skepticism regarding the award and said I would feel more comfortable having my police department contact him with a few questions. Though the angered "Mr. Hill's" English was sometimes difficult to understand, the four-letter words he used were unmistakably clear!

Following my phone call, I contacted the U.S. Postal Service's fraud division. They requested that I mail everything to them, using the following address:

U.S. Postal Inspection
    222 S. Riverside Plaza -- Suite 1250
    Chicago, IL 60606

I asked if I should also contact my police department, but the postal representative said they would take care of everything; there was nothing more I needed to do. It's my hope that anyone receiving this bogus award letter will also send it to the postal authorities so they can act on it from a legal standpoint. (Internet scams should be reported to the FBI's Internet Complaint Center http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx.)