Striaex / Scam and fraud

1 P.O. Box 2098Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 866-687-4188

Ok, so I bought this stuff called Striaex which is a stretch mark cream and I got it under a free trial offer. The terms of agreement are listed below so that you can see that I’m not just pulling ### out of thin air!

“Limited time offer.

You'll receive a full 3-month supply of Striaex Anti-Stretch Mark Cream. This is your opportunity to try it out for free.

> Try our free trial to see
how Striaex Anti-Stretch Mark
works for you.
> No Risk, No Obligation.
> Only pay S/H - $2.95

Striaex Anti-Stretch Mark Cream is regularly priced at $129.99. Try it for free with this special offer. We're that confident it will work for you.

Free Trial Terms & Conditions:

Start your FREE Trial now to receive a full three-month supply of Striaex Anti-Stretch Mark Cream. You'll have 25 days from today, 06/27/2008 to evaluate this product and see the results for yourself. If you like the way Striaex works for you, simply do nothing.

This is not an autoship program. Striaex Anti-Stretch Mark Cream is FREE to try. You will be billed $94.99 for each of the two jars one time after 25 days only if you decide to keep your order. If, for any reason, you should decide Striaex is not for you, return only one of the two jars within 25 days of the placement of your trial order. The second jar is yours to keep FREE just for trying our products. Please be sure we receive your return within 25 days of purchase date to avoid being charged. Terms & Conditions are subject to change without notice. Expedited shipping takes 1-3 weeks. See our easy return instructions under Help for details.”

So today my account got charged and I sent an email to their customer service stating that I mailed back one of the jars, as per the terms of agreement and I would like my account credited back with the funds.

Then I got an email back from customer service, one of the finer points was "It is a Free Trial Period of 25
days, not a Free Product.”

So, I wrote back:

Dear Mike, or whomever is concerned,

Per the terms of agreement as listed on Striaex.com, the terms and conditions are as follows: (Please see the highlighted, bolded, and enlarged text below for reference.)

If you require that I do return BOTH jars, as opposed to the terms clearly listed below, please advise and I will return the second one as well.

I do, however, require that my credit card be recredited in the amount of $94.99. I am also requiring that I be refunded for the shipping cost of the second jar, in the amount of $4.40, as it was stated in the terms of agreement described below, that "The second jar is yours to keep FREE just for trying our products. " If you are requiring the return of the second jar in order to process my refund.

If my account is not credited in the amount of $94.99 by July 11, 2008- two weeks from today's date, then I will contact my bank regarding this fraudulent charge that clearly violates the terms of agreement.

Then I got this:

Attention Amanda,

You are selecting parts of our terms and conditions eliminate so that you don't feel responsible for your purchase. You have been charged the two charges for the two items that you did not return within the 25-day trial period.

I have sent your account to our Legal Department regarding your intention to dispute charges with your bank. Your dispute is classified as fraudulent and I highly recommend that you do not choose this course of action. Our Legal Department is very strict about fraudulent disputes. The legal fees, reversal fees and fines are very expensive. I strongly suggest you do whatever it takes to cancel your dispute and cooperate with our Legal Department.

Sincerely,

Mike, Customer Service.
Striaex Customer Service.

Sorry- But I was not paraphrasing the terms of agreement- I copied and pasted the ENTIRE THING!!!

Then, I got this from LEGAL!!!

Attn: Amanda *,

FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS REQUEST WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE LEGAL ACTION.

I have received your account information and your correspondence that you intend to dispute a charge made to your account for a Striaex product you purchased from www.striaex.com. You placed an online order for one of our Free Trials at www.striaex.com and we did not receive your return within the 25-day trial period. It is a Free Trial, not a Free product. You were charged in accordance to the terms and conditions of sale to which you agreed upon purchase.

This is to inform you that all disputes are automatically reversed and customers are charged a $75.00 processing fee for EACH charge back on top of the product cost. Multiple charge backs are assessed a $75.00 charge each. Any further action taken to dispute charges will be assessed a further $75.00 fee. Any outstanding balances are immediately sent to a collection agency and litigation is initiated for collection.

AS REQUIRED BY LAW, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT A NEGATIVE CREDIT REPORT REFLECTING ON YOUR CREDIT RECORD WILL BE SUBMITTED TO A REPORTING AGENCY IF YOU FAIL TO FULFILL THE TERMS OF YOUR CREDIT OBLIGATIONS.

We have the following evidence that will ensure a dispute reversal:

1. Positive AVS match.
2. CVD Match.
3. UPS Signature showing proof of product receipt.
4. Verification that check box was checked at the time of purchase confirming your agreement with our Terms and Conditions. Orders cannot be placed unless box is checked.

TO AVOID PUNITIVE AND COMPENSATORY DAMAGES, YOU MUST:

1. IMMEDIATELY CEASE AND DESIST IN ANY FALSE CLAIMS THAT YOU 'DID NOT AUTHORIZE' OR 'DO NOT RECOGNIZE' THE CHARGES MADE TO YOUR ACCOUNT.
2. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE SUCH FALSE CLAIMS, YOU MUST CONTACT YOUR BANK OR CREDIT CARD ISSUER IMMEDIATELY AND TAKE ALL NECESSARY STEPS TO WITHDRAW SUCH CONTENTIONS.
3. CONTACT MYSELF CONFIRMING THAT YOU HAVE WITHDRAWN YOUR DISPUTE.
4. MAKE AN IMMEDIATE PAYMENT IN THE AMOUNT YOU CONTESTED AT WWW.STRIAEX.COM/LATE-PAYMENTS.HTM IF YOUR BANK DOES NOT ISSUE US AN IMMEDIATE CREDIT FOR THE DISPUTED AMOUNT.

Striaex will aggressively pursue all legal means to prosecute you if fail to meet these demands and if you make any further attempts to pursue your fraudulent dispute.

YOUR IMMEDIATE ATTENTION IN THIS MATTER IS REQUIRED. YOU MUST CONTACT MYSELF WITHIN 7 DAYS WITH PROOF THAT THE DEMANDS OF LETTER HAVE BEEN MET. ALL OTHER RESPONSES TO THIS LETTER INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, REASONS WHY YOU INITIATED THIS FRAUDULENT DISPUTE, ARE UNACCEPTABLE AND WILL NOT PREVENT LITIGATION. FURTHERMORE, I WILL NOT REPLY TO THIS TYPE OF RESPONSE.

Sincerely,
Steve Mitchell - Legal Advisor.

These people are refusing to give me my money back and threatening to pursue prosecution! Even though I sent this stuff back to them and are threatening to prosecute me if I contact my bank!!! I don’t know what to do! This is so ridiculous! They are threatening me, I have NEVER been treated like this by a company before!

I am so mad! You don't want me to pursue any action??? Well guess what? I think I will!

Am

Comments

• La
      28th of Jun, 2008

Amanda,
    I'm going through the exact same thing with Striaex. i received the exact same e-mails -- from "Mike" in customer service. These people are manipulative and prey upon others to rip them off. Report them to the Vancouver BBB and move ahead with the dispute, as I am. The Vancouver BBB told me they've had about 60 complaints from people "in a short time." Don't back down from them.

• La
      5th of Jul, 2008

Amanda,
    Just wondering where you are in your dispute with Striaex? We should all explore legal action.

18th of Jul, 2008

I am also going through this dispute. I sent the first bottle back, but they didn't recieve it so my account was charged. I thought it was credit fruad. I am going through this too. So I am sending the second bottle and paying off my balance. I didn't even recieve what they charged me too. So I'm a little upset. The terms and conditions is hidden and needs to be displayed. I sent it back, its not my fault if not recieved and I get a threatening letter at that!

13th of Aug, 2008

Man, this company never quits. I received my 2 bottles back in March of this year. I sent them back just under the 25 day mark (should have done it the 1st day but who knew?), they wrote back and said they didn't receive it until well after the 25 days, postmark made no difference. OK, I was duped, they charged my credit card. Now, it's mid-August, 2008, and I get another email from them (haven't heard from them since I wrote about the returns over 5 months ago) and they say they're charging my credit card $189 and change! I wrote back that I never wanted to continue this and never received anything anyway! No response. Now I realize I should have gotten a new credit card so they didn't have the number but I figured it was finished over 5 months ago. Not with this company. I've reported this to the local police (south Florida Palm Beach county), Visa fraud prevention, and my bank fraud prevention. This is unbelievable, I'm not a wealthy person and can't afford this $189 taken out of my card. Now I have to wait while they investigate this, but meanwhile I'm out the money (creditcard).

• Th
      15th of Aug, 2008

Same thing over here... i sent back the stuff within 25 days and they claim they never recieved it. when i went through my credit card to get the money back, Striaex threatened me that if I continue with my claim, they would add extra fees to me. They said I MUST stop the claim. Yeah right.

I finally got my money back because the return package was finally tracked back to them - within 25 days - but they never accepted it. they also said that i never requested a RMA. BUT, i have emails from them showing a RMA request was placed by me. this is a scam... they will not accept return package.. what a bunch of losers.

This company is fake. THey are a scam. THe product is nothing special.. just vasaline mixed with some water.

Avoid this company...

22nd of Sep, 2008

help amanda what r u doing to get through this they took over 400 from my account and i dont know what to do i reported them to my paypal and im trying ot get everything i need to help me out .please email me .

25th of Sep, 2008

They charged me over $400!!! SAME THING!!!
    SCAM!!!

• Ca
      29th of Sep, 2008

The same exact thing happened to me...they took over $400.00 out of my account. I never rec'd the product. I refused it! They refused to give it back. I filed a report with BBB and ATTY General. It's a huge scam! I wish I would have checked the BBB before ordering the product! **********STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!**************

• St
      16th of Jan, 2009

I also fell for the free trial scam. I made the mistake of not reading the terms thoroughly until after I had submitted my order. Upon closer inspection I realized that there was something fishy in the turn-around time if I were to choose to send the product back. Here it is: "Please be sure we receive your return within 25 days of purchase date to avoid being charged. Terms & Conditions are subject to change without notice. Expedited shipping takes 1-3 weeks." If I had received the product in the mail 3 weeks after purchase (21 days?) I would have had 4 days to try the product, evaluate it, and return it. DING!! The fraud alarm went off.

I immediately attempted to cancel my order and received the same threats of legal action. At that point to avoid being charged the $189, I closed my account. I was again threatened. A few weeks later I received not two, but one bottle of the product. I informed the company that I had only received one bottle, and since the offer stated that I was supposed to return one and keep one, that I was keeping the one and there was not a second bottle to return.

This all occurred at least 8-9 months ago. I heard nothing more until a few days ago when I received phone calls on two different occasions from a collection agency telling me that I owed them $189. I laughed and hung up. This company is completely unscrupulous and I would like to voice a very loud BUYER BEWARE. They will not get a dime of my money and I'm so glad I took action before they did. The terms themselves are self-cancelling, and I did not receive the promised 2 bottles anyway -- so I feel that I have no liability whatsoever. These people should be driven off the web entirely.

• Rd
      30th of Apr, 2009

I ordered from them on 02/06/09. The products were supposed to be for a 10-day trial, but didn't arrive until after 10 days. I saw that you are required to request a RMA numberr before returning, because the item will not be accepted without the RMA. Personally, I think the requirement of the RMA is a tactic just to delay the return. Or make someone not want to go through a whole procedure. After emailing them 02/17/09, I received a response on 02/18/09 stating my RMA is my order number. Something they could have put in the return policy.

I returned both (full) jars through USPS and kept the reciept which has a Customs form number. (You can track the package with the Customs form number). Time went by and I didn't hear from Straiex. No call, mail or any type of contact. Then on 04/07/09 I received a letter from Transworld Systems INC. They stated Nuance Aromatherapy DBASTRIAEX placed my account with them, and they are attempting to collect $237.48. Even though the site states 'low price of just $189.98'.

I contacted Transworld right away and they requested I fax a the Customs number to them. I did that on 04/07/09 and didn't hear anything until 04/24/09. I received another letter from Transworld, still trying to collect the $237.48 and stated 'here is the information you requested' even though I didn't request anything. The information I supposedly requested was a copy of Striaex's return policy.

So I called Transworld again and asked what the status of the account was. I was told they were still waiting for a response from Striaex. Which means I had to contact the scammers themselves... So on 04/28/09 I emailed them throught their site since their customer service number, which is listed on their site as a way to contact them, doesn't work. My email said
    'I returned both (FULL) bottles and have Customs form number and confirmation from the U.S. Post Office that they were delivered to Straiex. After returning the items, I did not receive any contact from Straiex. No call, bill or anything. Then months later I receive a call, and bill from a collection agency, Transworld Systems INC. They stated Nuance Aromatherapy DBASTRIAEX placed my account with them, and is attempting to collect $237.48.

Both bottles were returned in a box with what I was told was my RMA number, ######. Please update your files and send the correct information to Transworld Systems INC., account #####. This is a debt I do not owe.'

The response was 'I am sorry, but we did not receive your return within the trial period. Once the trial period expires, customers must pay for the products they received as agreed upon prior to purchase. Your account is no longer with us. You will have to settle with Transworld at this time. Sincerely, Mike, Customer Service'

Not only did he not address the fact they received the return, but sent me back to Transworld. Giving me the run around. I called Transworld one more time today and was told what 'Mike' said is not true. Transworld is waiting for a response from Striaex. And it will not be reported to any credit bureau while it is in dispute. This is when I decided to report them to the BBB. Only to find out that would be a waste of time, since they apparently don't care what's reported there. The BBB site had this to say regarding Striaex and Nuance Aromatherap...

'As of September 18, 2008: The BBB has received a pattern of complaints regarding Striaex. The company offers a free trial of their product, and states that once the trial period expires, the consumer will be sent product and billed accordingly. If the consumer decides during the trial period they do not wish to continue with the program, they must return the remainder of the product within 25 days. Complaints received at the BBB have alleged that some consumers have experienced a delay in the delivery of the trial product, resulting in the inability to either test the product during the allotted 25 days or return the product within the same time frame. Further complaints have also alleged difficulty in getting promised refunds, complaints about unauthorized charges, and unaccepted returns within the requested timeframe.'

They do not respond to BBB when there complaints, which leads me to believe they don't care and won't stop scamming people to get money. I read other sites to see what people are doing about them and have read people say they were reporting them to the Federal Trade Commission which is what I did today.

I am still going to continue to dispute this. I will contact whoever, where ever to get this handled. If anyone has any information on how to help. Please feel free to share.

• Mc
      7th of Aug, 2009

My daughter was scamed by this bunch as well. We closed out the account after paying for both bottles...now my daughter is getting threatening emails from them saying she owes $60.00 to close out the account! they will keep piling on late charges if we don't pay. I have never heard of a company charging to close an account...even after we paid for the crap they sell.

19th of Aug, 2009

HI GUYS, hope you could help me out as well. I saw this free trial thing on july 09 and purchased it with the use of my debit card.However, when I found out that it was actually a scam I immediately ordered another card so they won't charge me for nothin' and it actually worked.Only $2.95 was charged to my account for the shipping and handling cost.My concern is more on my credit in the future because now I just received a letter exactly the same as with you guys from TRANSWORLD SYSTEMS INC. that i owe them $287.48.I tried calling this company and he cant do anything about it.I tried telling the call rep that I never received the product and he keeps on telling me that i need to prove it.(How could i coz i actually never received the product from that scam company?).I actually dont care about the amount they want me to pay coz for sure I'll never give a dime of my money to them.I just want to know what can I do to protect my credit in the future coz I just recently got my SS number and just planning to build my credit at this point of time.The card that I used to place a purchase with them is not a credit card and I dont have a SS number yet when I opened that account last 2007.What advice can you guys give with this matter?Im just starting my credit and I dont know what to do.It's gonna be a headache for me if this doesnt get settled.Do you guys think its much better to close this debit card account and open another one?Will it affect my credit later.Hope to hear from you guys.thanks!

• 19
      18th of Jun, 2010

hi samanta! did they still bothering you until now? im also going exact thing as you. they just email me today saying that i need to pay $249.99 for the product. they can't charge me because i get a new debit card after knowing that striaex is a scam. i hope it won't go through a legal department coz i don't want to complicate my life with this scam company.