Stop and Shop Digital / Item backorder

1 MI, United States Review updated:

I attempted to order a Canon Powershot SX10IS a week before Easter from them. When I ordered nothing said that they were out of stock, or on back order or anything. I had family driving down to visit for Easter and wanted to use my camera for that. Knowing sometimes shipping takes a while I paid for the expedited shipping.
I got an email saying it was processing a couple days later. (Which I was fine with I paid for 2 to 3 day shipping.) Then I got an email a couple days later saying I had to call and confirm my order. So I was like "okay, fine." I call and tell tried to confirm my order 3 times. They would transfer my call and not tell me, and then the guy I got transferred to was rude. I told him I thought I was already being helped by somebody else and he said "Well they transferred your call to me, so apparently not." Then I got disconnected while he was confirming the order, so I called back and had to go through the mess again. Then I got disconnected at just about the same point in the conversation again... So I called back, again. Then when I got transferred to the guy was like "Um. Didn't you ALREADY confirm this order today?"
I was like "YES, this is my third attempt I keep getting disconnected." He was like "Well, you're all set it should ship in the next couple days."
Then I got an email a couple days later SAYING that they were on back order and it would be 3 to 4 weeks. It said that I hadn't been billed yet, and that I could cancel my order. They even had a list of steps on how to cancel my order.
So that's what I did, I was fed up with dealing with them.

Re

Comments

• Ra
      18th of May, 2009

To all you buyers out there...please DO NOT attempt to buy anything from this bogus FOS, Stop and Shop Digital. Be careful of your credit card details, if you have given them your card details I suggest that you call your bank to cancel your card. Better safe then sorry!

They are grade-1 white collar thieves!!! I am taking it to the next level and hope that those who got cheated in believing they are going to get a product 30-60 percent lower than the market, then you must be a fool just like me...report them to the authorities immediately.

• Su
      1st of Jun, 2009

This is one of the worst online stores, several online stores in the NYC area are all the same (scammers) including "86th Photo & Video", never trust anything listed and rating on www.Everyprice.com. It tricks you to place an order then tells you the item is a back order or out of the stock if you do not also order the expenseive accessories they are trying to sell you.

• Vi
      15th of Jun, 2009

I had same experience with them. After waiting for five days they emailed me that they are out of stock. They wasted my one week as I have to leave for my trip I had to buy from the nearest store but I had to shell out 50$ more. The camera which I could have bought for $125 from other sites I purchased for $175.

Cheaters !!

• Gu
      18th of Jun, 2009

Do NOT shop at Stop and Shop Digital! They bait you in with good prices, get your credit card info, then force you to 'call to confirm' your order details...this is where they give you a line of BS regarding the item you ordered and try to convince you to order overpriced accessories or another product all together.

In my case I was trying to purchase a Canon PowerShot SD970-IS. The 'Included Accessories' tab on their Web site indicated that it came with a batter and power supply. I placed the order on line and was then directed to contact Alan Taylor via a toll-free number to verify my order. Alan went on to tell me that I needed to purchase a battery and charger seperate from the camera...bringing the total cost of the camera well over what I could have paid at Best Buy.

When I refused to purchase the battery and charger he then said, "You do realize that you are purchasing an 'import' Canon PowerShot SD970-IS?" ..and that "All the buttons and menus are in Japanese." This is when I cancelled the order.

NO ONE should order from STOP AND SHOP DIGITAL!

• Do
      13th of Jul, 2009

I agree Stop and Shop Digital is not a place to spend you hard earned money. I called them to find out about a Nikon 70-300mm lense (imported) and ask the diff. The first RUDE guy said it was a Japanese model and had a plastic mount. I called back and the second RUDE guy said the only difference was there was NO Warranty!!. I asked him about the plastic mount and he said, "oh yea, that too..." Not getting a warm and fuzzy here. Asked the first guy the Nikon Model Number... "we dont use them." The second guy said the imp and usa model were the same... and confirmed that it was the Nikon 2161.

GUESS I NEED TO KEEP LOOKIN...

• Ca
      16th of Jul, 2009

I had the same experience as other customers here--made a Canon camcorder order with Stop and Shop Digital online and then got an email to confirm by calling. When I did, a rude man said I would have to buy batteries and charger separately even though on the website it said those were included accessories. When I said no, he said this was an import model unless I wanted to upgrade to the USA version, even though on the site it said it was a USA version. Then he said if I didn't upgrade it would take 7-10 weeks even though on the site it said usually ships in 1-2 days. Finally he asked how many tapes I wanted in the order--I said none if they cost more--when I said I was looking right at the site I bought from saying battery was included and it was a USA model, he said he could see we were running in circles here and said goodbye and hung up! I called back and was told it was on backorder and would ship later when they got it. I thnk it's time to cancel because this is ridiculous, especially after reading these other reviews--apparently this is how they always operate and if they do send me something it will probably be wrong and they won't want to refund! So far they have not charged my card, so I'm going to attempt cancellation! Beware!

• Ip
      12th of Sep, 2009

I totally agree. Stop & Shop is a scam. The listed price is a bait. I ordered a canon T1i package on Sept 6. I received an e-mail from them with instruction to call to "confirm" the order on Sept 8. I talked to a sale rep who was trying to sell me "high speed memory card" at a "discount" $120 (claiming the regular price being over $300) and other accessory. When I decline, he essentially hung up on me without giving a confirmation number that he was supposed to give me. I am not surprised to receive another e-mail 3 days later saying the camera is in "back order". Obviously, I cancelled the order. It is company like this that make internet store the bad name.

• Di
      15th of Sep, 2009

I FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE BBB, I suggest you do the same. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE. ALL THESE POSTS YOU READ ARE ALL TRUE. I ordered a Nikon D300 on August 13, 2009 and when I found out that they were scammers and deceitful, I wanted to cancel my order. I tried canceling the next day and the person that answered said my order had already shipped. Three weeks later I get my order and it is dated August 20, 2009 when it was actually shipped. THEY LIED to me. When I received my order the items were not what I ordered. The 4 GB CF card is actually 2x 2GB cards. It is very well overpriced. They don't answer emails. JUST DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE. THEY ARE VERY UNETHICAL, RUDE...they will scam you...you name it. I just don't have time to deal with returning my merchandise as I am deployed overseas. BE CAREFUL DON'T BE A VICTIM. DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING THAT HAS NEW YORK ADDRESS AS THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME.

• Gr
      1st of Oct, 2009

I experienced with all the previous readers. I found out about all of this after the fact. Please everyone remember that Nikon will not service your camera if it is a foreign model, not intended for sale in US. I called Nikon and gave them the serial # and found this out. The 55-200 lens they sent me was had a serial # registered to "Best Buy", so it is either second hand, or five finger discount. DO NOT DO BUISNESS WITH THEM, AND CALL NIKON WITH SERIAL #'s ON ALL NEW PURCHASES. If the serial # is foreign or counterfeit, you have basically purchased a disposal camera!

• Ho
      17th of Oct, 2009

Thank You all for taking the time out to report your dealings with this Shop and Stop. Your posts changed my mind about a purchase I was going to make with them. I searched the web for info on Stop and Shop before I was going to buy a cannon zr 950 and came across this web site. Im sorry that so many people have been cheated by Stop and Shop Digital. Hope you all complain to your atty general.

• Le
      21st of Oct, 2009

Ordered a Canon GL2 from them ... same thing... bait and switch. After placing the order they said to call them because they needed more credit card/billing information. While on the phone they said my card would be charged $400 more than the receipt stated. Saying the receipt was listing AFTER rebate charge. (They NEVER mentioned any rebate nor the "pre-rebate" charge in any of their information... not on their product listing, not on the receipt and no where else on the site or in the check out process.) Then tried to sell me another camera at a higher cost, talking down the one I ordered. Then got an email saying the camera was backordered 8-12 weeks. Then called them to talk to a manager to see what kind of BS was going on. ARTHUR - the alleged manager (I doubt he was) - was even ruder than the first weasle I talked to. I finally got so fed up I cussed him out and told him to cancel the order. THIS PLACE IS BEYOND SHADY. STAY AWAY. I'm placing a a complaint with the BBB of Metropolitan NY. Ridiculous. Don't be seduced by "great prices"... they won't hold. These guys are not only questionable/shadey, they're rude jerks on top of it all. FYI... their physical address is 6605 20th Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11204.

• Je
      29th of Oct, 2009

My experience has been similar to all of the above and, no doubt, countless others. Scammers, thieves, "bait-and-switchers", etc. I ordered a Nikon SB-900 - not yet received - and was billed a substantially higher amount on my credit card than was quoted to me on the telephone. Alas, have no hard evidence of the quoted price which is all that saves those ### from a trip to small claims court.