Stevenson Honda Wilmington / Vehicle purchase

1 821 South College RoadWilmington, NC, United States

After receiving a tempting offer for a trade on our 1999 Nisson Altima, my wife and I visited Stevenson Honda of Wilmington, NC. We are both in our 70's and are on a fixed social security income. This was made very clear to the sales manager at the outset. A used 2009 Honda Fit was presented to us. Upon learning that the monthly payments would exceed $270.00 with the trade for our vehicle. This figure was far above our affordable budget so we declined the offer. The sales manager presented me with a solution to drive dealer trades at a $10 per hour rate. He stated that drivers earn from $800 to $1, 000 per month, We had been dealing with this dealership for over 23 years so the offer seemed honest and in our mutual interest. We purchased the automobile in good faith with the expectation to pay off the $17, 827 in less than 2 years, reducing the interest cost.. After the first year of ownership I had earned only $1, 450, accepting every call to drive. Upon seeking a settlement with the dealership, I was met on numerous occasions with insulting and blameful accusations by the general manager, Mr. Patrick Koballa. He accepted none of my resolutions and proposed that I continue to drive dealer trades for the dealership as a settlement offer.. Based on the fraudulent assurances by the sales manager, I refused his settlement offer. Although I did receive a few calls for dealer trades, they were not close to the amount that was offered during the original transaction. I never refused a drive whenever called to do so. Stevenson Honda misrepresented me by claiming that I did not accept jobs because of inconveniences. This would not have been an issue in our settlement negotiations had they been honest during our original purchase transaction. In fact, there would be no issue at all if they had lived up to their original claims of $800 to $1, 000.00 per month. I merely stated the sacrifices made during the first year, waiting for calls to drive. They seem to hinge their argument that my refusal to drive the second year was due to the inconveniences that I cited in a letter. Indeed, my refusal to drive was based solely on the dealership’s failure to honor its original agreement. I researched the fair market value of the vehicle along with depreciation rates in many sources and discovered that the dealership had grossly inflated the selling price to me by over $2, 000.00. I feel that as a senior citizen, my consumer rights were violated through dishonest and deceptive business practices by the representatives of Stevenson Honda Acura of Wilmington, NC.

Le