Sterling Auto Body / Over Billed

1 16000 N 75th avePeoria, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 623-486-4810

I took my car to Sterling Auto Body on 7/28/08/ and got a quote in the amount of $2, 086.23 for the damage of this accident and some additional damage that happened previously. I already had gotten a quote from my insurance company in the amount of $2, 236.94 for repairing just the damage of this accident. In summary Sterling’s quote was for doing more work for less money. We also got another quote from Auto Renew for the same items as Sterling and their quote was $2, 246.57 so I did not think I was being lured in with a low price just to have them raise the price later.
I dropped the car off for repair at the night drop off on Monday night 8/4/08 and not being able to speak to anyone I left the quote from Sterling and checks from the insurance company in the amount of $1003.44 and 233.50 believing I would pay the difference when I picked the car up.
On Wednesday afternoon 8/6/08 Denise my service adviser called and said they found additional damage and would be calling the insurance company to get additional money. That is when I was told that Sterling would not be using their quote of $2, 086.23 but instead they would be using the insurance company’s quote of 2, 236.94 and only do the work that the insurance company had included and not the additional work as in their quote. In summary doing less work for more money.
In Denise’s own words “they throw their (Sterling’s) quote out and use the insurance company’s”. I asked her to explain why they operated that way and she said that’s just the way it is. Had they told me that before I could have kept the insurance checks and paid for the additional work myself and then file with the insurance company on my own after I picked up the car. Clearly Sterling did not do it that way because they wanted more money for less work.
I asked what they had done on the car so far and Denise said they had already taken it apart. I told her I wished we had talked before they took the car apart and that we would need to talk when I come to pick the car up.
When I went to get the car I had a 45 min discussion with the manager and Denise about the situation and could not come to a compromise. That is why I am disputing the charge.
The math follows like this
Sterling’s quote $2, 086.23
New total owed 691.29
Amount paid by me $1, 462.68
Amount disputing (owed to me) $771.39

Br

Comments

• Dr
      13th of May, 2009

Dear Bryan,

I have dealt with this before and have come to conclude that it is the insurance carriers that don't want the insured to keep the insurance checks, pay for the additional work yourself and then file with the insurance company on your own after you picked up the car. I know how you feel.

Auto Renew would have discovered the additional damage and their quote was $2, 246.57. Ten dollars higher than your insurance companies quote of $2, 236.94. At that point Auto Renew would have been bound to inform the insurance company and follow their rules. Auto Renew would have been told the same thing Sterling was. Insurers must be notified once the damage is further inspected if any additional work must be performed. In this case I can understand why it is Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for these repair companies to put their quote out there, in most cases knowing the insurer will eventually take control of the transaction.

With Regards