Stein Mart / racial profiling incident - 2855 ridge rd. rockwall, tx 75032 location

1 Rockwall, TX, United States Review updated:

On, Saturday, 8/25/2018 at around 7:30 p.m. I came into this particular store to locate Versace perform. I'm a regular Stein Mart elite preferred customer with a credit card account that just got increased by Stein Mart without my request. I'm painting this picture to explain that I've been a regular customer for over 8 years at this same store and other Stein Mart stores. But on this date, I was talking to 2 of your Sale Team members and explaining that I was so glad to see that this store was still selling the Versace perfume because 3 other Stein Mart stores did not carry this brand at all. I explained in general conversation that it was my birthday and I was treating myself. I got 3 bottles of Versace (Crystal Noir, Yellow Diamond, and the pink bottle). As soon as I placed the 3 bottles in my cart, the lady with the turban on her head asked if she can take the bottles to the front of the store. It sort of startled me and she came towards the basket to get the perfume. I explained that I had other shopping to do, but then she said "It's not that we don't trust you, but there are others that steal and we would prefer to take these to the front of the store". I looked at her because I was surprised because I have never been told to do this before in 8 years at this same location. So why NOW? I looked at her and let her know that she can take the perfume to the front, but she needs to make absolutely certain that she's TREATING (ALL) customers the same way. I'm African American age 54. She didn't respond, but I could tell by the expression on her face that she understood what I was saying. I also escalated this to the store manager and her response was that she's sorry that I was offended. It's not just being offended, it's inconsistency. She then said that it's because it's late at night and it's expensive perfume. I pointed to purses that are expensive and no one is telling those customers (white females) to bring those to the front of the store. She said that they were locked up, and I corrected her that the $70+ dollar purses on the aisles were not locked up and they cost more than the $57 perfume. So this again is not consistent. When I shared with her that I would register my complaint and not shop at this store again, she then seemed to get my point and then tried to apologize and give me a $10.00 coupon discount on my purchase. She said she would speak with the Sales person, but I explained YOUR Training needs to be consistent. If you're concerned about perfume theft, lock it up and get everyone to bring it to the front of the store in the future so that you don't offend the next African American customer. I purchase the perfume and the 2nd store attendant that witnessed what I went through said "Enjoy your Birthday". Again this is evidence that I had a cordial conversation with them before this occurred.

St
Aug 29, 2018

Comments

• Co
      21st of Oct, 2018

Defintely, a bunch of malarkey! Why wouldn't anyone want to steal out of your cart and create a situation of a bunch of eye witnesses. I too was a loyal Stein Mart customer; but now I have to reevaluate that I have been racial profiled twice. Once in Ponte Vedra, Florida and once at the San Jose Jacksonville, Florida location. In Ponte Vedra, Florida location I was trying on clothes and the same sales clerk opened the fitting door twice in less than 4 minutes apart and the sales clerk at the San Jose location opened the door too while I was trying on clothes. Now this is completely unjustifiable and unethical considering I am 5'8 and you can see my head over the door. There needs to be fitting room etiquette training or to hire workers with common sense. You can either say hello is anybody in here and wait for a response prior to opening the door, in my case, look straight ahead, if you see a head there is someone in the fitting room or just bend down if you see legs, there is someone in the fitting room. Ironically, the store already has the fitting doors designed where there should never be a mistake of opening the door while someone is in the fitting. However, because this occurred twice it appears this maybe an organizational policy. It is 2018 we should not be experiencing racial profiling. Has anyone else experienced this? A company that racial profiles is not deserving of my money.

• Co
      21st of Oct, 2018

Defintely, a bunch of malarkey! Why wouldn't anyone want to steal out of your cart and create a situation of a bunch of eye witnesses. I too was a loyal Stein Mart customer; but now I have to reevaluate that I have been racial profiled twice. Once in Ponte Vedra, Florida and once at the San Jose Jacksonville, Florida location. In Ponte Vedra, Florida location I was trying on clothes and the same sales clerk opened the fitting door twice in less than 4 minutes apart and the sales clerk at the San Jose location opened the door too while I was trying on clothes. Now this is completely unjustifiable and unethical considering I am 5'8 and you can see my head over the door. There needs to be fitting room etiquette training or to hire workers with common sense. You can either say hello is anybody in here and wait for a response prior to opening the door, in my case, look straight ahead, if you see a head there is someone in the fitting room or just bend down if you see legs, there is someone in the fitting room. Ironically, the store already has the fitting room doors designed where there should never be a mistake of opening the door while someone is in the fitting room. However, because this occurred twice it appears this maybe an organizational policy. It is 2018 we should not be experiencing racial profiling. Has anyone else experienced this? A company that racial profiles is not deserving of my money.

• Su
      21st of Oct, 2018

Someone could easily take a bottle of the perfume from your cart and hide it on their person. They can't exactly do that with a purse.