Steak N Shake / paid for gift card - got accussations

United States Review updated:

My family purchased 2 gift cards for $40 at a local Steak n Shake. The cards were not properly activated by the cashier in the store, which we did not discover until a few months later. The cards were paid for with cash, and we did not keep the register receipt. Rather than try to work with us in ANY way, Steak n Shake has accused us of stealing the cards and making up the entire story to try and get value loaded onto stolen cards for free. They also refuse to try and locate any of their records in regards to the sale, saying that unless we have a copy of the receipt there is nothing that can be done. So Steak n Shake basically just stole $40 and laughed in our face about it. Unless you want to support this kind of behavior and service, eat anywhere but here. I'll never be going back.

Comments

• Ni
      Apr 06, 2011

I have tried to get on Steak and Shakes web site and none of them will open! We TRIED to go to the restaurant in Mansfield Ohio last night (the one closer to home shut down) after getting there they were 3 other couples waiting in line with us being couple 2 of 4. We all waited and watched the workers and none of them would make eye contact or said anything to any of us in line, half of the restaurant was empty!! They didnt even offer any one a seat, we all just kept standing there until I finally had enough and we left, as we left so did the 2 of the other couples! This is terrible service, I believe that is why they are closing so many, it cant be just the economy because they COULD have made some money off of 6 meals but because of their rudeness, laziness or whatever the problem was they lost some good customers. To think we drove their to eat!! We went next door to Applebees and had a wonderful dinner without waiting to be seated!! Nina R.

• Up
      Dec 08, 2016

I have the same issue! I was give a $20 gift card for Christmas and several months later, I found it was "not activated". The company was extremely rude and unhelpful on the phone and kept saying they will "call me back" but of course they never did. Each time I would call back they would act as if the previous phone call never happened. I am extremely disappointed and never will eat there again. Instead of apologizing and fixing my gift card, they instead are losing hundreds of dollars of the next few years... I used to eat there quite frequently! Extremely poor customer service and business practices.

• Su
      Jan 13, 2017

I just discovered my 2 gift cards were not activated at Christmas also, but I got 'em! I have my receipt. But it occurred to me to look online to see if there were other dead gift cards from Christmas out there.Lo and behold, Steak and Shake can make $40 easy, on the people that forget about saving their receipt. There is a problem, apparently. Steak and Shake is getting greedy. Maybe the BBB would like to hear about the un-activated gift cards.

Dec 13, 2017

I PURCHASED $25 STEAK AND SHAKE GIFT CARDS, ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT THEY GET REDUCED AFTER 2 YEARS. I THOUGHT THERE WAS A LAW PASSED TO PROTECT CONSUMERS FROM THIS TYPE OF FRAUD. THE LAW ONLY PROTECTS STEAK AND SHAKE, NOT THE CONSUMER. GO FIGURE.