StayWell Infra-Red Dog Door 800 Series / Unreliable performance!
I bought the StayWell Infra-Red Pet Door in May 2006 but just installed it and began trying to use it in the fall of 2007. I have 2 dogs, both Labs, and when they try to use the door a variety of things happen:
1) The door doesn't unlock and they ram their noses into it. This is teaching them to not trust the door and they are losing confidence in the prospect that it will open.
2) The door unlocks and both dogs go through quickly, but the locking pegs shoot out before the flap returns to position and then the flap is either locked outside or inside, but not locked into the door. Adjusting the timing isn't helping since not every occasion of use is identical.
3) The dogs go through and the wind blows just enough that the flap is not in position when the locks engage, again leaving it locked open. (The raccoons and my barn cats are going to love this!)
4) One dog goes through just fine but the other lags behind and the locks have engaged already from the first dog and don't release right away for the second dog, who then bangs his nose into the door!
5) The locks don't engage at all!
6) Occasionally, it works like it's supposed to.
I can't remember being so disappointed in a product as I am with this door. After buying the door and having it professionally installed, I've spent close to $450 on a door I can't trust. I still don't feel that I can leave home for anything longer than a normal working day because I don't trust that my dogs will be able to get out if they need to, or back in!
As winter sets in, I don't want to be worrying about coming home to find 2 frozen dogs out in the kennel because the dang door wouldn't open! Nor do I want to worry that the door will be locked open, from either direction, and cold & snow will be blowing inside all day till I get home. As it is now, I have to leave the door on manual and run it without the collars. Not what I'd planned for when I bought this door... I contacted the company repeatedly and also the Atty General for Minnesota, but the net result is that the seller won't issue a refund since it's past the 30 day refund period and the manufacturer will only send replacement parts or a new door, but will not issue refunds.
I've since bought and installed a High Tech Pet door and though it also has problems, it's much more reliable than the StayWell door ever was!