State Farm / ripped off

Temecula, CA, US Review updated:

In 2006 I went and bought the car I always wanted a Tahoe. Ya not some peoples dream choice but I always loved them. I had my car for about 2 moths before it was stolen out of my driveway. They broke into a window and found my spare key I had still sitting inside my center console! So they took the car. I did all I was suppose to do, called the police did a report and called my insurance State Farm who I have had for over 6 years at the time! A month later my car was found trashed, stripped, totaled!!! I took pictures and relished it to my insurance. Long story short, they took so long my gap insurance collapsed then they found some BS reason to deny my clam!!! Can I go after them and win YES, but every attorney I have talked to said it would cost my more then what my car is worth to fight them cause they are known for this BS!! Its not just auto, its any and all!!! When you do win they pay just what the auto is worth but then you still are left with paying for attorney fees!!! DON’T GET STATE FARM IT’S A WAIST OF MONEY!!! This needs to get out!!! I was a single mom who has worked hard my life to get what I have and have always been honest thanks to State farm my credit is shot and I am not going to court over the loan company that held my note to my Tahoe they want the full $32K plus there attorney cost. I was told I will loose cause it is between me and then and the insurance didn’t sign a note with them. It sucks thanks to State farm!!! Its now almost the end of 2009 and this is still going on in my life thanks to, “State Farm!!!”

Comments

• Ou
      Sep 03, 2009

I am sorry you are going thru this. I also live in Temecula and own a Tahoe and have State Farm.
    I have never had a problem with State Farm and had them for close to 20 yrs. We did have a local agent here we recently got rid of and went back to an agent up in Santa Barbara County, that gives better service.
    I am paranoid about driving the Tahoe around here. We have another car I drive besides that one due to the fact we know about the rate of car thefts here for SUV's. I would like to suggest that you appeal your case and make 2 complaints if you have not already. 1 with the State Insurance Commisioner and let them know they dropped the ball on filing your claim before your gap insurance fell thru and then you should also let the States Attorney General Jerry Brown know about this. I feel bad for you that this happened. It sounds like you are a hard working person and remember goodness prevails. Do not give up on this. If you need an attorney maybe there is a program with recent law grads at a in state University that can help with your case. Maybe from SDSU or UCSD or USC. This is worth the fight. Believe me, I have had my share of aggravation of dealing with similar things. Good Luck. PS. This is one reason we want to move when the market comes back a little more. Not enough cops here to do routine neighborhood patrols to deter these thugs from stealing cars from hard working people.!

• Mz
      Feb 12, 2011

I am an insurance agent and I am going to assume that you are not mad that your vehicle was stolen but that it took so long to settle the claim, but before we get into that, lets explore the reason your vehicle was stolen... oh because you openly left access to your vehicle. Who who leave their spare key in the car and on top of that in the center console which is the first place a thief would look... oh yeah you would. Now to explore the possibilities of why the claim took so long to settle... the chances of someone leaving a spare key in the car is slim to none, so when it comes to an insurance company they have to make sure it is not fraud. So they will thoroughly investigate. Insurance companies have the right to deny claims if the customer were partially responsible, in this case you were negligently responsible. Just to clarify something, the responsibilty of the insurance company is to make you whole of a loss to which is covered by that company. If you hit someone it's your fault which is why yeah your claim is settled and the insurance company pays out but you also have increased rates. I think you should have listened to the lawyer and just took as a loss but again your decision to persue has landed you in a pickle because you are now stuck with lawyer's fees and court costs and not to mention the note for the Tahoe. I think you should just chalk this a s a lessoned learned and NEVER leave spare keys in the car period... console, under the rug, glove compartment... NO WHERE!!! Move on because to honest I think any other insurance comopany would have denied your claim as well just based on the risk of it being fraud. To answer your question... No I do not work for State Farm.