Starlight St James MBChurch / Irvin Barrett pastor scam

11300 S. State StChicago, IL, United States Review updated:
1.95
Phone: 773.785.2400
Good day, A Chicago pastor Rev. Irvin L Barrett of the Starlight St James Baptist Church scammed his members of hundreds or even thousands of dollars from his members. His members was supposed to had went on a trip to Tennessee and raised money for months and the pastor stole the money, resigned from the church after collecting their hard earned money.Pastor Barrett, has now been known to leaving his Starlight St James M.B.C. located on 11300 South State St Chicago, IL 60628 773.785.2400 (be aware all calls to this number may go directly to this scamming pastor) for a church located in Texas. Barrett also bounced checks to his musicians, and also is the cousin of Pastor T.L.Barrett here in Chicago.

Comments

20th of Oct, 2008
This is a LIE!!! I can't understand why somone would get on this web site and LIE!!! about a man of GOD. Why do we have to always KNOCK a brother down when he is trying to make a better life for himself and his family. Whoever wrote this is just mad and upset that our PASTOR is leaving. Don't be MAD, be HAPPY for him.
  21st of Oct, 2008
If this is a LIE where did the money go?
  21st of Oct, 2008
I personally spoke with this suppose to be Man of God and the first thing he said to me was who told you that...And then he told me that the trip was not for them to go on so my question is if the trip was not for them to go on then why did they even know about it and then why did he collect the money from them if it was not for them to go on...I think the person that made that first comment is really slow or that person is the one that the complaint is about... This man has taken this church nowhere but down... The church has been paid for and the church has been going without heat and air... I think the church should be rejoicing because he is gone...When he first came to the church he started getting rid of the people that really helped out the church so he would be able to run things like he wanted and so he can take care of the money...If people cannot see what is really going on there then I feel sorry for them...Someone gave money so the church van could get fixed and do you think the church van is fixed I think not... So I said all that to say this, its alright for man to want to take care of his family but its not alright for him to take care of his family on the churches expense...Like I told him he does not have to worry about the church gettin him back or even other people he has to worry about God because he is the one that knows all...
  22nd of Oct, 2008
THIS IS A VERY SAD CASE. THAT A CHURCH WOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH SOMETHING LIKE THIS. I WAS A MEMBER OF STARLIGHT UNTIL THE PASTOR PUT ME N MY TWIN COUSINS OUT. WE WERE VERY ACTIVE MEMBERS OF THE CHURCH- FAITHFUL MEMBERS OF THE CHOIR, AND JR. DEACON BOARD. WE STOOD BY THE PASTOR IN HIS EVERY MOVE BREAKFAST, LUNCH, AND DINNER SOMETIME SHACK. WELL WE TREATED HIM LIKE A FATHER. I JUST CANT BELIEVE THAT HE WOULD DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT. MY FAMILY HAS CAME FROM 35TH STREET TO 113TH STREET WITH THIS CHURCH AND WE STILL LOVE IT ALL THE WAY. 90% OF THAT CHURCH IS MY FAMILY.100% OF THAT CHURCH IS MY FAMILY IN CHRIST. SO TO PASTOR BARRETT AND HIS FAMILY YOU WILL SEE THE LIGHT(STAR-LIGHT). AFTER THE *SUN-RISE THE STARS-LIGHTS*. I KNOW REV. WARD IS TURNING OVER IN HIS GRAVE. WE LOVE YOU REV. WARD.
  23rd of Oct, 2008
He said that he would give us the money back, I don't understand why everyone is in a up roar. You guys need to be ashame of yourselves. This is why we can't all get along. We always try to find something, or excuses to knock a brother down. Who are we to judge. If he has done wrong why are we throwing stones, let the God handle and deal with him. DON'T EXPLOIT HIM. He has a FAMILY that will have to deal with this mess
I just don't understand
  23rd of Oct, 2008
The reason why people are in a uproar is because the way everything went down...Let me ask you a question, if you all are not going on this trip, why is it takin so long for u to get your money back? Seems like to me if you were not going on the trip the money should be back to you immediately right? You should look at the entire picture... Why would he set a trip up for the the church to go on and then say that trip was not for them to go on and then still collect the money and then tell the church that he has a job at another church. I think thats crazy and not right and if you don't think something is wrong with that then something is wrong with you...I think the people that wrote those comments as a matter of fact I know those peole that wrote those comments have respect for his family but I think their family is apart of that church and not only was it your money but it was their family money so I can understand why their upset... I think all of this is a mess to... I just hope he does not do Sunlight Baptist like he did Starlight Baptist!!!
  23rd of Oct, 2008
OK now your trying to EXPOSE a MAN of GOD, who are we to judge. YOUR not GOD, but what to expect from the TYPICAL. If your that upset, do something about it.
  23rd of Oct, 2008
A MAN OF GOD WOULD NOT LEAVE A CHURCH HIGH AND DRY!! NO HEAT, NO AIR, AND MAN USING WOMAN BATHROOMS BECAUSE OF THE PLUMBING. WERE TALKING ABOUT A FAMILY THAT CAME WITH THIS CHURCH WALK DOWN STATE STREET WITH THIS CHURCH SO THIS IS WHY WE ARE UPSET!! YOU MUST NOT SEE WHAT THE CHURCH HAS GONE THROUGH IT HAS LOST ALL ITS NEW AND OLD MEMBERS. WE LOVE STARLIGHT, WE GROW UP IN STARLIGHT, WHOLE FAMILY BAPTIZE IN STARLIGHT, SO I KNOW U SEE WHY WE UPSET. AND THATS WHAT YOU WOULD CALL A MAN OF GOD!!! YOU MUST BE GOING TO TEXAS TOO
Me
  23rd of Oct, 2008
Guide me oh thou, Great Jehovah!
  24th of Oct, 2008
It is obvious that this man has a lot of people fooled. Just because you preach/teach the word of God does not mean you FOLLOW the word of God. I feel that if he was ready to move on to another church, his church should have been the first to know. He went about everything the wrong way. Also, if you canceled the trip to Tennessee, then all monies should have been refunded immediately. Furthermore, how do take up offering for a specific reasons, but do not use the money for that reason. That's FRAUD! There is no way the church should have been without heat for 2-3 years. He wasn't even considerate enough to think about the babies/older people sitting in the cold church. The church didn't have heat but I bet he had heat. A lot of people stop attending church because of the multiple offering being taken each Sunday and nothing to show for it. This is a sad situation, this man has poor leadership skills. No ones judging him, we're just simply expressing our feelings and opinions. And it's not about exposing him, because everything that's done in the dark will eventually come to the light. There's nothing we can do but put it in God's hands. If he's trying to make a better life for him and his family, that's fine but there's better ways to go about that. Leaving his church with thousands of dollars worth of bills is not the way. Thats selfish!! He should have made sure the church was in good standing when he left, like it was when he got there!
  24th of Oct, 2008
LET GO AND LET GOD!!! Oh and to BUTTA if I could go I surely would!!!That was a very SMART comment, coming from you, I'm very shocked!!!
Ia
  24th of Oct, 2008
PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHO YOU PUT YOUR MOUTH OWN. HE WAS CHOOSEN NOT YOU. SEARCH YOUR HEART TO SEE IF YOU HAVE DONE ALL THAT YOU SHOULD, COULD FOR YOUR CHURCH AND THE MAN OF GOD. TRUST GOD IN ALL THINGS HE WILL DIRECT YOUR PATH.
Oj
  24th of Oct, 2008
Oh my, is this really true?
  24th of Oct, 2008
This is just disgusting. How could children who have not been members of the church in over 10 years know what's going on in our church today? If you were so concerned about "YOUR" church, why did you leave? Further more why would a man of God, take trip money only to show back up at church and give a 3 week notice? Why didn't we vote him out if he were so bad? Another thing, the expenses of the church is not the Pastor's responsibitlity. It's the members and we all should feel ashamed. He has told us time and time again the needs of the church and "WE" failed to respond. It's unfortunately our loss. Pastor sacrificed his all and all to build up Starlight to where it is now. We are nationally known because of Pastor. He has only wanted the best for us. Pastor gave up his salary years ago to help our (not your) church. He gave his anniversary money back year after year to help the church. He paid the church's bills out of his family's money. Why? Because he loves and trusts the Lord and he knew that the Lord would take care of him and his family one day and he has. Now I'm sure you know nothing about this because again you all are NOT members and have not been there in over 10 years to see and endure the struggle that we have. If I remember correctly, you and your family were terrible members and never supported the church and frankly we were glad when you all left. Over 95% of us at the church feel the exact opposite of what you non-members feel so please stop doing this to one of the most wonderful and dedicated Pastor's Chicago has ever known. We are suffering a great loss and a disgusting site like this is not helping us either. If we could, many of us will leave and follow him and not stay behind with your negative family members. The bible speaks of not doing the prophet any harm. You all will not be blessed by this. You are only hurting yourselves. It goes to show you that you are not living a Christian life and that Satan has gotten a hold of your hearts. Pastor - if you are out there, keep your head up as the members here love you very much. The church in Texas will be richly blessed by you and your wonderful family. God bless you and if I had my way I'd leave with you. God bless all of you who are negative. And OJ, this is not true that's hearsay all the way from Kentucky and not even from Chicago.
  25th of Oct, 2008
AMEN. Well stated, ((DISGUSTED)
  25th of Oct, 2008
Well let me tell we why they are not members anymore digusted, because your pastor that you look up to and that they looked up to decided one day to put them out of the church because they did not come to him when he wanted them to so thats why they are not members anymore..ANd you know what that really hurt them because they looked up to him and they helped the church out alot when they were there so you need to get it right...They still have family that goes to that church that is effected by this situation... You said the church is Nationally known, where are they Nationally known..The only reason that the church is known is because what was done there years before he got there and obviously you were not there for that and if you were how dare you forget!!! One more thing those guys that were put out of the church by your pastor is doing good and they thank him for doing that because if he didn't do that then they might be lookin foolish like you are now...God Bless Starlight!!!
  25th of Oct, 2008
(Disgusted) We were very big supporter of the church you must be a Irvin or a new member to the church because we all know that story is a lie. Your so called Pastor put Butta, Mark, and Micheal out of the church so we just moved on. An still concern about OUR CHURCH. 90% of that church is there family Pastor Barrett if thats you because there isnt nobody speaking that highly of you. And you done all that s... to that church. That church was doing very well when you came had wonderful choir, Deacon board, Usher board, and Ministers but now you probably of 3 of each in each the dapartment because everything was not going his way in his eyes. So Irvin you have a good trip in hope all goes well because member of Sunlight M.B.C are now calling . The line are HOT.
  27th of Oct, 2008
Michael and Butta - you all should feel ashamed of yourselves. You all are supposed to be Christian young men and lashing out at a Pastor you supposed to have looked up to is not right. He did a whole lot for you all when you all were kids and now you repay him like this? You all need to check your information. Don't go to hell on somebody else's ticket. And don't go to hell over a $400 church weekend trip that was canceled. All members have been reimbursed their money in full. You all have not been members of this church in over 10 years so whatever you have to say is useless. Bringing up old hurts is not fair to the Pastor nor his family. It's not fair to our church as we try to heal. What does Pastor T.L. Barrett have to do with this? Nothing. That's just like saying someone in your family is no good so you are too. Now would that be fair to you? No. You betta hope he and his church family don't find out you are linking his name to this site. You all ought to be careful as you can be sued for unfounded slanderous remarks.
  27th of Oct, 2008
Again, this is not YOUR chuch. You were once affiliated with the church. You were baptized in the church. But it is not YOUR church. Realize it and accept it. You do not have rights or priveldges as any other member anymore. If you check church doctrine (as I just did), once you have been out of fellowship (not attending) a church in over 90 days, you are no longer a member in good standing. You have to join the church again. From what I recall, you all have not re-joined the church. No, I am not a new member as the newer members don't know you all or your family like I did. You all kept up a lot of mess then and still are. So please go on your way and leave our church alone. Trust me, just because you all have left the church (not put out as you try to say you were) does not mean the church was suppose to fold and not survive without you. We have survived and thrived. We are nationally known due to the marvelous convention work our Pastor has done and also for representing us when he preaches around the country. Again, you would know all this if you all were members. Sad, sad, sad. It's apparent that you all still have a childlike mind and have not grown into REAL men. Also, go get in a school and learn how to write with proper english.
  27th of Oct, 2008
First of all get it right michael and butta is not the ones who put this article on this website so get your facts straight before trying to accuse people of this, we just commented just like your doin..Then second I feel so sorry for whoever is takin up for this man because obviously you don't get it, if the church is doing so good why is the church going without heat(when you responed to this please answer this question first) and why is it that once again did it take so long for him to give the money back if they were not going on the trip? I know we are not members and I thank God for that but the truth of the matter is that we help the church out alot when we were there and like I said if you don't remember one night after a broadcast he told us not to come back to the church, yes we were young and even then we did not understand why...Let me ask you a question how could two young men that were 13 or 14 around the time keep up so much mess to where a pastor would want to kick them out...I'm personally still in church and I work with churches around the city that I live in and around the country so I never got out of churche because of what Irvin done to me but I can say this after that happened that had a major affect on my cousin because he looked up to Irvin because he was like a father figure and he even enjoyed the way he dressed, he would always say that when he grew up he wanted to dress like that but after that situation it made him not want to go to church anymore and it made him look at pastors/preachers different... So when I look at the overall picture it hurts and I don't know if he knows it or not but that hurt like Hell and I don't think he even cares cause he never tried to even talk to us about it and he was then Man in the situation...So whoever commented about this don't really know what their talkin about...Now I want to talk about how you say the church is Nationally known because he is traveling around preaching well I think your really slow because the church is not known because of that, the church is known because of what they did years before he got there...I see that he traveled so much that he stumbled upon Sunlight Baptist and Starlight is left with the bills and Starlight is left with all the problems that he left behind...When a church goes without heat people don't look at the church because the pastor took over all the money and the business but they can look at the pastor because it falls in his hands...God you know whats going on please open their eyes and let them see...I think he has alot in store for Starlight and I'm actually happy because when Starlight blows back up it will be without him...Like I said he has done nothing but take Starlight Downhill... Can anybody tell me what he has done that made the church NATIONALLY known please, if you can I promise I will give him some props.Starlight get for better things...