Staples / staples credit card fraud?

1 Stephenville, TX, United States Review updated:

For the past few months, when I purchase something at Staples, after I swipe my card in the card machine, the cashier ALWAYS asks for my card and looks at it. Isn't the purpose of credit card swipers the fact that only YOU handle the card? This opens up a lot of possibilities for a dishonest employee to get your expiry date and security code and rip you off easily. This policy is very strange to say the least. I finally asked a cashier why they do that. She said it's so she can get the last 4 digits of your card number to use in case you return an item. Does the swiper not record those numbers? I smell something fishy. Even if it's not a scam, Staples should NOT ask you to give your card physically to an employee. It's a very stupid way of doing business.

Comments

• Ud
      24th of Sep, 2008

You regularly use a credit card and you have no clue about the systems some retailers have in place TO PROTECT YOU!
    By handing the card to the cashier, this is ensuring that you actually have the card, and maybe not just a number jotted down on a piece of paper. Furthermore, the cashiers should be verfiying that the back of the card is signed, and if it isn't, they should be checking your I.D. Start paying with cash if you have such a problem, geeze.

• Mr
      4th of Feb, 2009

No! Is not a scam is for your protection. The last 4 digits on your card need to be entered for your transaction to go through. Its for security purposes only and to make sure everything is legit!
    Besides it's too many numbers to memorize all at once they have tons of customers every day and I'm preaty sure they have other things in their mind besides scaling their customers.
    NJ

• Tr
      27th of Mar, 2009

Comon dude, I knew that it was a security thing before I even started using credit cards, and its not just staples, most retailers will do that, and check ID if it costs $50+.

• Am
      24th of Nov, 2009

I have the same complaint about this at Staples. The card reader swipes my card info -- there's no reason to also give it to the cashier. And I certainly don't want to announce the last four digits out loud. And no, most merchants DON'T do this. Staples is the only one I've encountered -- except for the Lowe's self-checkout, which makes you enter the last four digits on a keypad after you've already swiped the card through that very same reader. I don't want people seeing what I'm punching in. If I wanted to enter data, I'd use a debit card.

• Kr
      25th of Nov, 2009

You guys are whiny babies. Did you know the receipt you throw out at the gas station has your last 4 digits on it? Same with your McDonalds receipt. Anyone could just as easily "hear the last 4 digits of your card". Credit cards can be duplicated and one of the only ways to test if the card is legit is to match up the number that shows up on the magnetic strip with the last 4 on your card. THAT is why the cashiers do that. Before you start complaining about policies meant to protect YOU and YOUR money, I'd find out the truth. Idiots.

2nd of Feb, 2010

now when people scam you they make fake cards using the same bar scanner. Staples checks those numbers to make sure they match as a protection to you. as an employee at staples I can tell you that we are not scamming you at all just helping against fraud

17th of Feb, 2010

They check the last four digits due to digital swipe's that can steal your credit card, and imprint it onto a blank card that has no relevance to the actual card or information on the bar.

grievers who hate the system, I just hope you get your id stolen so that you understand why fail-safe measures like this are in place.

• Km
      18th of Oct, 2010

I am a police Detective and I think I can shed some light on this issue. First, one of the things you may not understand is every credit card is property of the merchant or the bank that issued the card. You are requried to present the card. Failure to present the card can result in the merchant closing your account. If an employee wanted to skim your card they would need a hand held device to do so. You would likely see this skimming taking place. Second the last four digits of your card are useless to the fraudster. They need the entire number. It is very unlikely they are going to be lucky enough to guess your entire number. Last most people involved in credit card fraud don't have the time or patience to try and figure out your individual credit card number. They would rather steal your card out right or better yet compromise your identity and create new credit in your name. This is easier and takes much longer to detect from a law enforcement perspective. So I wouldn't worry to much about the employees at Staples or a retail store. I would be more concerned about the restauraunt employee or any service provider who walks away from you with your card in their hand.

• St
      27th of Oct, 2010

It sounds crazy but i work at staples as a cashier. The only reason we ask to see the card if the purchase is credit. We then have to enter the last four digits off the card one to ensure the credit card is present and two for security purposes for a return. It actually is designed to help you so if you lost your receipt and wanted to return something all we have to do is swipe the card you payed with and the computer will let us know if the item was purchased with that card. In most cases cashiers will cover the rest of the digits only to expose the last four. If you feel uncomfortable then simply cover them yourself and show them. Overall its designed for security purposes, until the day comes where an employee "steals" your numbers and buys something, then the policy will be in affect. Its worked since the opening of Staples so i dont think anything is changing soon.

• Fu
      15th of Dec, 2010

stay inside. it is less scary. only use cash. keep it under your mattress. the staples employees are surely going to know where you live and they will probably want all of your numbers. hide them. hide all of the numbers. they are always trying to get you. you show 'em.

• Of
      11th of May, 2011

You guys are ###ing idiots. If you don't want people handling your card then use cash. Registers ask for many different things, but it may be too complex for your little brains to handle.

• Ur
      24th of Mar, 2012

Listen up here IDIOTS! If I were to steal your card, I can take your magnetic strip and place it on my card that has MY NAME ON IT. So if a cashier wants to see my ID it won't matter to me cause it'll match the name. BUT IS IT ACTUALLY MY CARD?? NO! The cashier's computer knows what the last 4 numbers are. That's why if you tell her the wrong numbers the transaction won't go thru! STAPLES in one of many other company's that are trying to HELP YOU OUT!! There is a reason they do those things, not just for the fun of it.

12th of Oct, 2012

Coincidentally, my card number was used at a Staples in Bloomfield, NJ on Wednesday 10/10. I had used that same card at a Staples on Oct. 1st in NY. The Staples stores I have shopped at in the past are not asking for the last 4 numbers of the card, but rather they ask to look at the card, and type in the verification code on the back of the card (My credit card company even said no one should be asking for this number).
    Glad I found this board and that others have the same concerns I do. I'll do my best to avoid Staples from now on, or if I have to purchase something from there, I will definitely be using cash!
    P.S. I have heard from others that they have had the same problem with their card numbers being used at gas stations, etc. right after shopping at Staples. Definitely scary!

• Ta
      6th of Feb, 2015

I found this thread because I was researching the same problem about Staples: About 9 hours after using my credit card at Staples, I received an email from the bank saying that all my rewards points had been redeemed for cash back and deposited at a bank out-of-state. I remember being surprised that the cashier asked to see my credit card after I swiped it, for a small purchase of $2. This transaction at Staples was the first one within the last 2 months on this credit card. I did not use it again after Staples.