Staples / customer service

I don't hate Staples, but they are going the absolute wrong direction with their coupons.

I received a $25 coupon that could only be used when placing an order online or over the telephone.

My local store has the product in stock, but cannot honor the coupon.

Ridiculous.

I ordered online and was given an estimated delivery date of the next business day.

It has been three days and the product has still not arrived.

Great move, Staples. Take a loyal customer, offer them a deal and refuse to homor it when they have the product in their hands. Push them to an inconvenient venue and then fail to deliver in a timely manner.

Kudos.

Er

Comments

20th of Jan, 2011

Staples has the WORST customer service ever. Once, I asked for a redirection to a certain product line, and they said they wouldn't have stock of it until the following week. After two hours of searching, I found what I was searching for in the very back of the store. WORST SERVICE EVER.

• Di
      1st of Mar, 2011

Sorry to hear of your experience Chirag. It is not possible for a store to have 100% accurate inventory of every single item. If a customer is looking for a pen that is on sale and my system says I should have exactly 1 of them I am not going to spend inordinate amounts of time looking for that one pen, I'm sorry. But what I will do for you, and they should have done to, is offer to either order it for you, delivered to your home free of charge, or have it shipped to you from another store.

• Di
      1st of Mar, 2011

While I agree with their reasoning eruckle, some of the responses are rude. Not necessary. The reason for the online/phone coupons is specifically to promote those aspects of the Staples business. When you order something online it is generally a higher margin sale than when purchases in-store, and that's one of the main reasons of promoting it. We have discussed this issue at my store, and the practice I've taken is that if I punch the coupon code in and the register accepts it then bonus! If they didn't want it accepted in store then they shouldn't have let it go through.

2nd of Mar, 2011

I just came back from the Staples in Bloomfield, NJ and I went to do a fax. Did my fax and waited patiently to pay for this fax when all of a sudden it was my turn in line and he tells me to go to customer service to pay for my fax. I was walking to customer service and he took care of everyone else but me! now i'm upset and spoke to the manager and he tells me did you speak to the manager in copy center? why would I have to talk to another manager? at that point I just left and willing to go somewhere to invest on a home fax! ridiculus! I also, called headquarter today and spoke to someone and told them my story. Someone is suppose to get back to me. I highly doubt it! Aweful customer service!!

• Po
      2nd of Mar, 2011

Are you sure this individual was capable of processing a fax transaction?

3rd of Mar, 2011

I faxed the documents and got a confirmation. All he needed to do is allow me to pay for the fax! insted he sent me to customer service and took care of all the customers that were behind me. this happened as I was walking to the register. Mind you when I got to the other register the girl was on the phone with a customer and I had to wait there also.
    Someone did call me from Staples but I haven't heard anything else! they are investigating!
    Terrible customer service!

• Po
      3rd of Mar, 2011

Are you sure he was allowed to take fax payment?

4th of Mar, 2011

Yes! I'm very sure because I had been there before and done the same

14th of Mar, 2011

so much for my phone call back from Staples! It's amazing how much they say they value there customers and do absolutely nothing about the situation.

• Si
      20th of Jun, 2012

If a Staples store ever does this to you in their Copy Center?

Just walk out. The only reason they'll ever have to send someone elsewhere to pay for a copy center service is if, for whatever reason, their register is down. Feel free to question it being operational.

• Al
      29th of Jun, 2013

We honor that coupon and manager override it.