Staples / awful employee

United States Review updated:

Staples call center has a policy of only allowing 5 minutes a day for restroom breaks. They want you to use breaks and lunch for restroom use. I had a stomach issue do to surgery I had and I was exceeding the 5 minutes a day. Staples was giving me warnings and made me sign a paper stating that if I keep exceeding the 5 minutes a day that my employment with Staples would be terminated. I find this to be a horrible way to treat your employees. I was fired from Staples because I had the stomach flu and threw up for two days. Even when I brought a note from the doctor they still let me go. Staples doesn't care at all about its employees.
Va

Comments

Hu
  7th of Jan, 2009
I have been working at Staples for about 5 months now and I have to completely disagree with your comment. It may just be the manager you have or your store in particular. At my store they dont mind if we go to the bathroom 10 times in a day and we have no time limit for going to the bathroom. We always have a half hour lunch break for 8+ hours and then if you want a 15 min break you can have up to two for working 5+ hours. Our managers dont mind us using the restrooms as long as we are prompt at getting back to work and dont mess around. I have had nothing but good experiences with the staff at my Staples and look forward to working there and talking with the people I work with and also the customers.
Ho
  8th of Jan, 2009
Hunt1522,

Please read before you write. The OP's complaint refers to a CALL CENTER, not a store. Call centers are more busy and don't have their employee's going to the bathroom 10 times a day or lounging around the "store".
Kr
  9th of Nov, 2009
It's not just the call center, it's in-store as well. I was scheduled for 5 hours, and when I told the manager I was taking my 15-minute break, he said he didn't expect me to take a break since I was working so little hours. I said I was entitled to my break and was taking it.
Ma
  8th of Feb, 2011
That's unfair dismissal. You would easily be able to take them to a tribunal, and get compensation for the wrongful dismissal, especially if you have a medical condition, legitimised from a doctors note. You may even be able to be reinstated!
p.s. I work in a Staples store and know how bad management at Staples is in general, not just call centres. I had to sign the same note for stores.
Mo
  14th of Apr, 2011
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I-WORKED-FOR-STAPLES-FOR-8-WEEKS-I-WAS-HIRE-AS-A-CSL, WHAT-I-DID-WAS-RING-MY-WHOLE, SHIFT, TRY-TO-COACH-CASHIER, BECAUSE-THEY-ONLY-HAD-ONE-FOR-EACH-DAY-IN-TOTAL-THERE-WERE-6, BUT-ONLY-ONE-WORKED-WITH-ME-AT-A-TIME.I-WAS-TOLD-EVERY-WEEK-WHAT-A-POOR-JOB-I-WAS-DOING.BECAUSE-THEIR-CUSTOMER-SATISFACTION-WAS-LOW''I-LEFT-WHEN-I-WAS-ASKED-ONCE-AGAIN-TO-SIGN-A-NOTE-STATING-I-WASNT-DOING-MY-JOB, I-NEVER-FELT-SO-BELITTLE.I-REFUSE-TO-SIGN-SOMETHING-THAT-WASN'T-TRUE.
Ex
  21st of Dec, 2011
I was a long time (10+ years) Staples employee at the retail level. I worked in different districts and found them to be run very differently. even though it was all the same parent company. One district was an absolute joy to work for; one was absolute hell. Management is overworked. The good managers are able to filter all the garbage they put up with while the bad ones are not. Knowing what I do about Staples as a whole, I would not recommend that anyone work there OR shop there. Associates are badgered into believing things that are not true and they are required to pass this misinformation to the customer. I'm all for being a great salesperson, but lying to the customer is simply not good customer service.
Stay away from Staples.
Mf
  3rd of Oct, 2012
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
They fired my wife without just cause. She worked in the call centre in Regina for 7 years. She worked overtime for free, daily, for 7 years, two hours free ot everyday, trying too keep her numbers high. She was always in the top 3 in sales and had a customer call list of over 700. They kept increasing her goals until it became unattainable. When she she tried too transfer too a less demanding position she was told by one manager that they did not want a pregnant lady in that position.
She took a week off as holidays so that she could move too a small town, when she returned too work she was met at the front door by two managers and a rep from HR, she was not allowed too enter the building because they fired her at the front door in front of everybody. Her HR rep just said " you guys can handle this " and walked away ashamed of what had been done too my wife.
Ex
  3rd of Oct, 2012
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
It doesn't surprise me. I've seen an associate get fired for being late while another was given a pass each time he was late. He was late way more than the other associate. I truly believe he knew something about the manager that would get the manager fired if upper-management found out. It's not what you know-it's who you know. It's not what you do--it's who you do. That should be Staples tagline instead of That was Easy.
Pa
  30th of Dec, 2012
I've currently been employed 4 Staples for almost 6 years now & it is an absolute REAL LIFE HAUNTED HOUSE. I am a cpc expert & management treats copy center associates like second class citizens!!! Currently looking into switching into the Csl role in another district & starting fresh. Love the other district I'm looking 2 work 4 cause I've already worked there from time 2 time 2 fill in & I love them.

Staples Logo Staples