Square Enix PlayOnLine.com / fraudulent charge

The company charged my credit card even though I have never been to their website or bought anything from them. The charge stated on my statement as SQUARE ENIX/PLAY ONLIN . I called the company, but they just told me to call my bank. So, I called my bank, canceled the payment and got a new credit card in case somebody stole mine.

Z

Comments

12th of Oct, 2008

I am another victim of the SQUARE ENIX/PLAY fraud. My account has been charge twice for no reason. I did not apply to play on there site nor did I recieve a password, because I always printout a copy of such info. I just looked at the supid thang and now I being charged. I have gotten some phone numbers and at least will try to get them to cancel this fatuous account.
    If I have to call the BBB and my lawyer, I will. There is no sense of a company taking advantage of ones interest in there site if they want to stay in business.
    So If one gets a E-mail, popup or an ad on another site for SQUARE ENIX. PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ON IT. IN MY OPINION THEY ARE THIEVES AND CROOKS WHO DO NOT DESERVE TO BE ON THE PLANET.
    THANK YOU!!

• Bn
      2nd of Nov, 2008

I too was charged $27.95 by Square Enix, a company I have never heard of, much less done business with. I was alerted by my credit card fraud division. I have no idea how they finangled my number, but it leaves me feeling nervous about all online financial transcations. Lesson learned: go over every charge on your bank statement. Now I must be inconvenienced by canceling my credit card. What authorities should I now contact to get this illegal activity to stop?

• Mo
      3rd of Nov, 2008

I was charged $25.48 for Square Enix Playonline on 11/01/08. I have never heard of or been in contact with any online computer service. I try never to use my credit card, expecially online. Now I have to dispute a charge as well as get a new card issued. I would love to find out the person responsible and stick him/her/or them with a felony charge!

• Ms
      1st of Dec, 2008

Same here. My prepaid debit card got depleted by a whole slew of unauthorized charges. Canceled the card, got new one today and now am starting the process of contacting or trying to all of these wackos.

• Sq
      5th of Mar, 2009

This happened to me, too. Charge appeared as "SQUARE ENIX/PLAY ONLINE 85..." for about $27.

Call 858-790-7529 (the Square Enix/playonline business) and tell them you did not sign up for any service from them. You may be asked to provide your name and the first 4 and last 4 digits of your card.

They may ask you if you've ever played "Final Fantasy 11" or created a "playonline ID". You may tell them no. If you ask them for the playonline ID created by this charge, they will not give it to you (only legally empowered investigators can get that kind of info from them; read on).

They may offer to "purge" your credit card information from their system (if they don't, ask for this). Accept this and ensure you are given a confirmation number for this "purge". Who knows if they actually do this "purge" or not, but now you have a record of asking them to remove your info.

Call your bank or credit card institution and report the charge as fraudulent. Cancel your card and have them send you a new one.
    In the following days or weeks, complete and return any affidavit they send you.

Meanwhile, file a police report and provide the report number, case number, or whatever to your financial institution's fraud dept. This will legally empower them to get info (like the specific "playonline ID", IP addresses, etc.) from Square Enix that could lead to prosecution.

• Da
      7th of Mar, 2009

I just have this charge for SQUARE ENIX/PLAY ONLINE1 858-790-7529CA ##0309 $26.95 US DOLLAR = $42.66 AU Dollars Last week. Bank cancelled my card, and issued nme a new one.
    I had my new one for 1 day, and this charge has come onto this new one. WTF. How can this happen? I also have not heard of them before. Can anything be done about this? I am in Australia.

Thank-you

daniel.levold@gmai l.com

1st of Apr, 2009

$27.95 from SQUARE ENIX PLAY CA/ONLINE. I HAD TO CANCEL MY
    CREDIT CARD IMMEDIATELY. Im lucky that i found out the same day
    or i would have been charged tons overdraft fee's and probably MORE
    charges from these CON ARTISTS AT SQUARE ENIX. MY BANKS WAIVED THE CHARGE AND I CALLED FRAUD WITHIN 15 MINUTES.
    This happened APRIL 1 2009. Some april fools day huh. Fraud sent a
    form through my e-mail that i have to fill out. The process i just think it's
    pretty lame. Those people i hope they get BUSTED QUICK AND HARD.

i live in atlanta it seem's nobody is safe.

• Ko
      3rd of Apr, 2009

It happened to me to...I don't speak English so I was kind of embrassed to claim it...
    But I will investigate this and find a guy who sell all the credit informations from websites.
    I will haunt them down nice and quick...
    I will upload those frauds pictures later when I get them.
    Wish me a luck.

• Oz
      3rd of Apr, 2009

These fraudsters got me too - yesterday I checked my account and found a debit of A$82.97 (US$55.90). I also have never before used their website & am at a loss to understand how they got my details. I immediately rang my bank to report it, then went in and completed a form to dispute the transaction. Like others, I had to cancel my card and now have to wait up to 10 days for a new one. I have been burned and will not use the new card for online transactions again. I hope someone gets these crooks, wherever they may be. I am also in Australia, so it seems they get you anywhere in the world.

• Mj
      4th of Apr, 2009

I had the smae problem from SQUARE ENIX/PLAY ONLINE and Blizzard.com. Three different payments. I am curious if everyone that got hi by this fraud uses paypal because that is the only website that I have given my digits to. If so then they hacked into paypal and got our card informational from there.

• Oz
      6th of Apr, 2009

submit complaints to the regulatory body Entertainment Software Rating Board at http://www.esrb.org/privacy/contact.jsp. You CAN fight City Hall!1dbf8

6th of Apr, 2009

Yup, same thing happened to me. A charge for 27.95 from Square Enix/Play Online 1-858-790-7529 appeared on my bank account summary today, charged yesterday to my bank card. I called my bank and am going in to file a dispute in writing tomorrow. I tried calling the company, and after getting a busy signal for 40 minutes, finally got through to their automated system. I was on hold for 30 minutes before I hung up to make some other calls that had to be done before 5pm. Guess Ill be cancelling my bank card now. At least the bank assured me that the overdraft fees accrued by this fraudulent charge will be removed.

Suggestion for anyone doing business online: Get the Paypal plug-in and use only their Secure One-Time-Use cards. They generate a new number for each transaction, and then the card is invalid after that one. Seems the only way to avoid being screwed by evil companies like this one.

• Ke
      6th of Apr, 2009

I am right there with you all. Hey Anth we were on hold at the same time, I was on hold for 30 minutes from 4:40-5:20PM EST with Square Enix/Play Online.

-$55.90 04/02/2009 CHECKCARD XYZ0 SQUAREENIX/PLAY ONLINE 85...
    -$27.95 03/05/2009 CHECKCARD XYZ1 SQUAREENIX/PLAY ONLINE 85...

If you have the chance to go online and check you online statement search for square or enix and make sure there aren't multiple lines...I didn't even notice the one from last month, will have a call back from the supervisor tomorrow, and will be going to the bank to dispute the problem.

The accounts may be a leak from paypal, a computer generated algorithm or bruteforce (suggesting a flaw in security with Square Enix's Play Online Authorization Process), or possibly (although very unlikely) related to the breach in security with Sony's Playstation Network. Write back if any these may apply to you, lets get this figured out.

7th of Apr, 2009

SQUARE ENIX/PLAY ONLINE1 just charged me $7.09. Confused, I googled it and found this thread. I've spent every waking hour for the last two months remodeling my home. I've NEVER in my life played an online game. I've never owned a game system. I don't play games on my computer. I DO purchase things with the computer though... but not services. Wonderful. I'm glad I saw the charge!

7th of Apr, 2009

My card was charged for about $28 over this weekend. I have to wait until 9 pacific to call them. I'll see what happens. But reading all these responses it seems that I will have to call may card company again and dispute with them instead. I will update here about what happens.

• Sk
      7th of Apr, 2009

This company should be sued for these thefts.

They have some very insecure system or an employee of theirs is comlicit. I also faced similar type of theft yesterday. And now i have to take trouble to claim it back.

• Sk
      7th of Apr, 2009

The company should be held responsible.

• Jm
      7th of Apr, 2009

Same here been on hold with these guys for god knows how long... nothing but they don't hesitate to charge you for something you have not been using. I pay for stuff online through paypal... how many others pay with paypal that have complained... just curious about it

• Au
      7th of Apr, 2009

Hi - I also have a paypal account, but have now removed my card details and will take the advice of Anth and get the plugin. I do suggest that you all bombard ESRB with complaints as, although they say they cannot take much action, they were interested enough to forward my notification to Square Enix (who haven't bothered to respond ... surprise, surprise). See my previous post for website details.

7th of Apr, 2009

Well, I went to the bank today to file a fraud report and get my card cancelled. Giant pain. Im going to keep trying to contact this company, though Ill be doing that via email rather than the phone. Their customer service number is NOT toll free, and I just dont feel like paying for 45 minutes of hold time.
    To answer jmiller's question: I use paypal and my paypal debit card for most shopping online, but this charge was made directly to my Visa check card issued to my from my bank.
    I wonder if there is a particular website that we've all done business with, which might be the source of the information leak. Maybe we've all shopped/given card info to the same site, and they're the ones selling the card info.