SpringMasters Canada

4.6
Ontario
Canada
An open letter to Spring Masters:
My son worked for you for 5 days. No solid training or assistance was given, he was left alone in a neighourhood for 10 hours to knock on doors, he had no marketing materials to distribute which was very important given than many people are not at home at 10 in the morning on a weekday. But worse - he was told there were pre-booked appointments from which he could try to obain new business. Once he started, he was told that all the pre-books were done in April - he started May 4. What kind of operation are you running?
On his last day, waiting to be picked up by his manager, 3 managers approached him. They accused him of stealing, called him a criminal, searched his backpack (this is illegal) and took the $20 he had made from one sale, his own ten dollar bill and a looney and left him with nothing. They took his shirt, leaving him in his undershirt, and LEFT HIM IN NIAGARA FALLS TO MAKE HIS OWN WAY HOME. And it took 3 of your bully boys (you call them managers) to intimidate a 19 year old. I guess I should be grateful they didn't rough him up.
Even if the accusation was true, which it was NOT, you have an obligation as an employer and should at least have taken him back in the truck and then fired him. This is appalling way to treat staff.
I have filed complaints of your disgraceful ethics with the Better Business Bureau of Canada, and Employment Standards.
And I will blog this story everywhere I can to warn other students to beware of working with unethical people.
Complaint comments Comments (90) Complaint country Canada Complaint category Scam & Fake Checks

Comments

N  25th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
and I sure as hell hope you reported this to your local newspapers. What happened to your son shouldn't have happened at all. Even if they truly suspected him of doing something underhanded they should not have handled it that way.
N  25th of May, 2009 by    -1 Votes
He isn't an employee. He is a contractor. He is 19 and therefore legally responsible for himself. Nonetheless, I agree, Spring Masters does exploit their workers. Very few earn anything even close to minimum wage. Ben Stewart's strategy is quite simple: Brute Force. Fill the city with as many contractors as possible; Harass the same area of town 5 times over a period of 6 weeks. Some will succeed; some will falter. On average, Ben profits substantially.

1. The Fertalizer used is not as advertised.
2. The grass seed used is not as advertised.
3. The driveway sealent is not as advertised.

Yes, it is highly unethical. However, your 19 year old son is an adult. He signed a binding contract. He is legally responsible. Please, teach him how to read carefully before he commits his time and energy.
N  2nd of Jun, 2009 by    -1 Votes
I'm currently an independent contractor for Spring Masters Canada and I, myself, have heard of a similar scenario occurring at my own location (although not to that extreme). I don't intend on staying with the company, as I've come to realize that I'm not a strong sales-person. I do, however, find it hard to believe that the managers would take such actions without having some reason to believe that he had stolen. Granted, the fact that they allegedly searched his bag and took his money is illegal and horribly unethical (the situation could have undoubtedly been resolved in a more tactful fashion), as is the fact that they left him in Niagara. As well, no they don't have an obligation to bring him home, but doing so is both morally and ethically unacceptable.

As for the statement that:

"1. The Fertalizer used is not as advertised.
2. The grass seed used is not as advertised.
3. The driveway sealent is not as advertised."

I would like to know what grounds of evidence this is based on; it's a very vague statement.
N  6th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I've purchased the Spring Masters Standard Plan over a month ago and I'm still waiting to have someone come to my home to get the job done.
I've heard every excuse in the book so far...and now nobody returns my calls. I'm concerned that Spring Masters Canada isn't even a legitamate company...if anyone has had a good or bad experience can you kindly share? I'm just hoping I didn't get scammed.
Thanks
N  8th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
Can you post the employee contract?
N  15th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I work for Spring masters Canada right now. I can tell you that we are given over 200 flyers to hand out during the day, so I'm not sure what your son was thinking not taking any. As for the prebooks, aeration season started March 25th, and we go out 7 days a week, 10 hours a day, up to 70 workers a day. Of course all the booked jobs are going to be taken up well before the first month of the season is over. If you want pre books you need to come in early, but driveway sealing season just started and there is again prebooks. Now as for the stealing situation, I do know they don't take it lightly on suspected thieves, but they do give you more than once chance and if you are suspected of stealing your watched closely. Although there is no right for a bunch of managers to search your sons backpack and leave him stranded in Niagra Falls, based on no evidence, that does sound like if they went to that extreme, they must of had some sort of evidence. Im by no means saying your son was stealing, he could have just forget to check off a payment method who knows. For the master plan person, we are still carrying them out, and june 15th was the last day they could be sold, so the first applications should all be done before the months over, early bird gets the worm. It is a very busy company and we travel to different locations within a 2 hour radius every day. But it is a real company, hard working people like myself, but indeed a very tough job and will take its toll on someone who isn't prepared to work harder than ever before. But if you put in the effort the rewards come. Door to door sales can be the most stressful thing EVER, you just need to stay positive, and of course if your son quit, he either didn't have the right attitude, or sales just isn't the job for him, its deffinetly not for everyone. Sorry to hear about his mishap, I work at the Kitchener/Waterloo location, and it has never happened there.
A  20th of Jun, 2009 by    -2 Votes
This is a terrible company and unfortunately most students are too dumb/desperate to read the fine print of the contract. There's a few reasons why this company is terrible. First of all they try and make it sound like in their advertising that the jobs are "pre-booked" when in reality you may have one prebooked job, the rest is 100% purely commission based. So now that we've established your a door to door salesperson lets take other things into perspective. The rate of commission they advertise is actually cut in half since your working in "teams". You can't work like any normal human being because your having to baby sit whoever you randomly are paired with. You have to PAY for their equipment (thats right, not even a deposit you get back). There's hours in between sales that your physically present with the company but unable to get paid? If you happen to get sun stroke or something happens (we all have emergencies) and you leave an hour early for a shift you pay them 100 dollars...? Your also signed out as a private contractor so they can get around having to reinburst you if you get injured since technically your "working for yourself" and not under the company. Lastly you don't get paid daily in the summer, you get paid weekly which is false advertising in the papers. So lets conclude... Your screwed into door to door sales, with a low commission rate thats cut in half, paired with someone random who totally can affect how much you make, if you happen to get sick they take 100 dollars away, your there for time your not even paid for and your paying for equipment and not getting a deposit back? your a private contractor so they can skip around health insurance and such. Lets face it, how many people ACTUALLY sit there with cash on their counters waiting for a random door to door salesperson to come seal their driveway? your dreaming if you think you'd be successful at this job.
N  21st of Jun, 2009 by    -2 Votes
Another Springmasters Canada employee here too. My earnings looked like this; 295, 64, 260, 120, 40, 60, 20, 60, 20. By april was when I made 120, and quit my other job, much to my chagrin. Honestly, those are some awful managers. I've seen people chewed out and treated atrociously, and one person planning not to give people rides back to Guelph from Waterloo, but that's the worst it got. Honestly, there isn't a lot you can do. I am seriously waiting for their poor practices to fall apart. Sometimes, it's just random luck and weird happenings; One fellow got attacked by a dog who was trained as an attack dog by his drug dealer owner, who then threatened the guy. Police, of course, did jack all. Other times, we've got 14-20 people in a van with 11 seat belts. Yeah, they would pick up the tab if we were pulled over and all slapped for not wearing seat belts, but the one time we get into an accident and 2-3 people die, Ben Stewart will be out of business, as it's, what, 1 million per accidental death of worker?

The year starts great, if I could do it again I would be in, every day, for the first month. Then I would take it easy, once a week, until sealing season starts. Then again, first month-2 months. Got no experience with the fall season, so can't really talk about it.

Yeah it's touch and go. Some of the managers are great folks, love em, i'd give them a hand any day of the week. Other ones, well, they can help themselves. But overall springmasters lacks the long term experience with health, safety, and processes that other companies learn to cover themselves. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to walk an aerator down hill until aeration season was 2/3rds over, and that could have left them wide open for a lawsuit if I did end up injured. I might go back next season if I am still slugging away at minimum wage, because it is good, honest, money. But if i've got anything netting me 10-20 dollars an hour, forget it. 18 hour days (Wake up at 6, get home at 12) are not fun to deal with, and when sometimes dumb luck is the determining factor of your earnings (You can't sell anything to a neighborhood with car parts on the lawns). If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
N  1st of Jul, 2009 by    +2 Votes
The first time I heard about spring masters canada was from a friend of mine.. at the time I was going around looking for a job since the start-up I was working on (www.fossfactory.org) ran out of cash and I had no other source of income. My friend told me: don't bother going through all the employment agencies the economy is down, and jobs are very scarce. Try spring masters.

I can write pages and pages, but to make a long story short, this company *is* legitimate, its managers (I can only speak of the Kitchener/Waterloo branch since they're the ones I've interacted with everyday) are amongst the most hardworking, ethical, and impressive people I've met in my life. I say that having won the Impact Innovator of the Year Award my self (http://www.impact.org/conference/past_winners.html), and having traveled all over the world and having met all sorts of winners and hard workers.

Now let's just say some obvious facts:

1. There are millions of independent contractors working in Canada, let's see what the government has to say about independent contractors:

"It is not a good idea to treat contractors the same as regular employees. By definition, a contractor is in a different relationship with the organization and it is important to set boundaries so that the difference in the relationship is maintained. Among other things,
contractors do not receive employee benefits from the company, like health and disability insurance, and they pay their own taxes.

The Canada Revenue Agency takes a strong stand on misclassification of workers as independent contractors when they are really employees and frequently imposes back taxes, penalties, and interest when workers are improperly treated as independent. On the
whole, to ensure independent contractor status, an employer must allow the contractor to have control over the way the job is performed. "
http://www.culturalhrc.ca/hrToolsResources/HRBest%20Practices/CHRC-HR_Tools-Independent_Contractors-en.pdf (page 15)

So in short, Spring Masters is not going around anything, it's just obeying the law. Maybe some of you should do a little more research about things before you sit and complain.

Notice how they said contractor has control over how they do their job? So if you are placed in a van that does not fit your standards of safety (or if they ask you to do anything at all that is not to your liking).. simply refuse.. and if they force you or whatever.. email me at abdullah_bakhach@hotmail.com and I *will* follow up the issue with you personally (if the incident happens with the k/w spring masters crew).

2. No flyers? Here is a heads up: as an independent contractor you have to pull your own weight. You are responsible for prepping your equipment in the morning, getting the necessary flyers, card board etc.. no manager will be checking your bag to make sure that you got everything.. I think this is pretty obvious

3. Making less than minimum wage? This is a commission based job (and oh about the other gentleman who "accused" us of being a sales company: that's a fact that they tell us all day.. we are a sales company.. any idiot can seal a driveway or aerate a lawn, it takes skill, discipline, positive attitude and finesse to sell door to door all day.. and that's why spring masters is a hard work/high reward job. It could also be an easy work/low reward job, but only you as a worker determine that. Don't blame SM for it.

4. Searching your kids bag: I don't know about that. I find it hard to believe. But if it is true let met tell you scarlett2122 that I share your outrage on that. It is completely unacceptable and must be corrected immediately. All what I can say is that our managers do take theft very seriously, and do their best to correct it. And theft *is* a problem: I know personally of some former SM workers who told me that they stole themselves and knew of others that stole. That angers me b/c that means less bonus pay for me. Having said that, it is still unacceptable to search someone's bag and I hope it never happens again. But let me remind you that spring masters managers are still human, and like you and other humans they make mistakes time to time. But in general I don't see a pattern of such mistakes in my experience with SM and as such I would treat it as an isolated case (that still needs addressing nonetheless).

Anyways.. I can go on and on.. but the way I can sum it is that all of your complaints are either from misinformed parents or lazy workers who like to blame everyone but themselves. I think I've provided some answers to some of the issues raised in this forum, but if you do have any more please don't hesitate to email me at abdullah_bakhach@hotmail.com. You can google my name to see who I am (Abdullah Bakhach). And by the way I'm not part of the spring masters PR team or even their management or anything.. I'm simply an independent contractor who loves this company and it's people so much that I consider them as my own, and spring master's reputation *is* my reputation. Therefore I take great offense when people bash SM based on either poor facts or poor motives.

Ending at a little positive note: that's me in the right in the pic with the straw hat.. we won the day that day, our managers gave us free subway lunch.. I got paid like $240 that day :), and it was the girl's first day, she got paid as much as me.. i didn't look at her as someone i had to baby sit.. I told her that not to think of herself as a rookie, but rather as a veteran who has been doing this all her life. I told her I expected from her nothing less than her absolute best, and she didn't disappoint. As the guy in the middle, that was his 3rd or 4th day, and he sold like crazy. He made more than $900 that week (more than me) and he only worked 3 days (less than me). So who's baby sitting who? lol
N  1st of Jul, 2009 by    -1 Votes
ah and one more thing. Let me stress that I'm not washing my hands off the other branches of spring masters in places like Ottawa, East and West Toronto and Hamilton. All what I'm saying is that I don't know those management teams that well to speak credibly on their behalf (I also don't want thousands of emails potentially clogging my inbox). But I was lucky to meet their all star teams along with their managers in the all star weekend competition, and I saw that their attitudes and ethics were consistent with our management team in k/w.

Think about it: Ben Stewart, the 8-time world karate and kickboxing champion and business man of the year and athlete of the year of Canada in 2006 (the only time in the history of Canada for the same person to achieve both awards in the same year) is *not* the kind of person who tries to make gain in life based on exploiting other people. His records and achievements in his life speaks for what kind of standards he sets for himself, his managers and his contractors.
N  6th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have spoken to teh CEO of the Hamilton office and he has assured me that he will revise his policies so that managers understand business courtesy and professionalism. He agrees that my son should not have been left in Niagara Falls, and has apologised for such an incidence.
Regarding flyers, he was surprise to find that the supply was low - of course if is up to each student to stock up on flyers, but that's difficult when you are given about 15 and told "sorry, we have no more to give you". This is bad business and the CEO will take steps to correct that.

Mr. Stewart may well be ethical, but his atheletic achievements do not guarantee that he is an honest business man. Remember OJ ...?
N  6th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
Like Abdullah I cannot speak for the other locations but I do know that my own location has never had a situation while I've worked their that we have not had enough marketing material for the day. When I am about to run I am able to call my manager and they drop some more off to me, this only happened during the beginning because I would quickly learn to take more than I needed for the day. I know our managers who start their days hours before we do have driven to Toronto to pick up more flyers for us once our days have finished.

It maybe true that his athletic achievements do not speak about his business ethics. However unless you meet the man it is difficult to understand his character and until then you can only accept him based on his merits. The man as previously stated has won business man of the year in Ottawa, has a work ethic that allowed him to run his business successfully and continues to grow in 2009 while allowing him to train during the off seasons, and he has published a book specifically aimed at encouraging and teaching young adults how to better themselves and be successful. An example would be my own general manager in Kitchener-Waterloo, who was a law student and has been considered for business man of the year locally, we had someone come in one day to see what Springmaster's was like during our morning meetings.

Ben Steward has given students like myself an opportunity to work hard to pay for our education and gain a sense of satisfaction from our work in a time where it is very difficult for students to find any employment whatsoever. We are told from the very first day that we walked into the job fair that we would have to work hard and that this was going to be a very difficult job, my own general manager in Waterloo asked who in the room was a hard worker and nearly everyone raised theirs hands back in February; What he told us was that he didn't believe any of us until he saw us work. What he said was true there are very few people that were in that room that day who still work at Springmasters today because of the difficulty of the job.

Personally I have stayed through straining my relationships with loved ones because I have made a commitment with myself to struggle through these few months and learn hard lessons from this job that will continue with me for the rest of my life. This is all that Ben asks from us, to work hard and learn every day that we work with his company.

My name is Halmar Beltran and I am a student at the University of Waterloo since 2004, I took a year off from school and I am pleased to be able to go back in September paid completely by the earnings I've made with this company. If you live in Ontario realize what the person who is knocking on your door is going through and be at least courteous to them if you are not interested in our services. If it is a hot day out know that giving them a water bottle or offering to fill theirs will be greatly appreciated the rest of the day.
N  31st of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
No one ever said this job is always going to treat you right. That's why some of us left, including myself. I work somewhere else now, and didn't even bother getting into driveway sealing. If she got in at the start of Aeration season, yeah, she would have made at least100 dollars unless she walked all day. It's sales work. At least she made a single sale. It could have been worse. It's been such a lousy season that even seasoned veterans are walking away with 0-2 sales from time to time.

My personal least favorite day had to be a day we were in London. It rained NON STOP. EVERYTHING I was wearing got soaked. I made 4 sales, which translated into something ### like 60-70 dollars after the silver hat bonus. Then there was the TWO days I got all of 2 sales, meaning around 40 bucks. I just couldn't get past people's defenses and kept getting doors slammed on my face. This is why I gave up on the job and just went and did something else. Maybe next year people will be more open, and next year i'll be sure to be around early, and then take a break later, because after people have been through neighborhoods once, forget about it.
N  7th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
I just had someone from Spring Masters knock on my door and I thought I'd check the net to see if they were legit or a scam.
After reading through these comments, I'm torn - On one hand, I feel as though the poor guy could have used the sale. On the other hand, who has that much money just laying around waiting for someone to proposition them to get their driveway sealed?

All in all, going door-to-door trying to make sales while being covered in tar from driveway sealing is not a good idea. Nothing is shadier than some dude knocking on your door, all covered in black tar from head to toe, telling you he can "give you a deal" if you agree to get your driveway done TODAY.
Seriously, do these people make ANY sales like this? It's not like the guy looked shady or sounded shady or even came across as shady personally, but the appearance and the sales pitch of having to get it done today while they're in the area seems so wrong. Of course I said no thanks.

@ ABBOOD - I just wanted to point out something in your statement: Yes, they each have the ability to "refuse" to take a ride if there are not enough seatbelts or they feel unsafe in any way, but wouldn't they then get screwed out of work for the day? Of course they would - they are PRIVATE CONTRACTORS, NOT EMPLOYEES. >.o

Best of luck to all Spring Masters employees in their uphill battle of door-to-door sales.
N  7th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
If you have complaints, express them on the their Facebook group page. Log into your facebook accout and search for "The World of Spring Masters". Join their group, and express your issue.
N  7th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
Yeah, jack, I have no real delusion that if I said "I refuse to ride in this vehicle due to inadequate safety" I would not be called back in. Not because I was exercising my right to operate in a safe environment, but purely because A) I broke the norm and B) They would have no issues getting someone else to come in, assuming sales were good. But yeah, real company. Read the newspaper, if you're in waterloo, take a look around the university neighborhoods at street lights, you'll find work offers posted there.

And yeah, seriously, I made sales. At this point i'd have to say I have a love-hate relationship with Springmasters; I love the pay, the positive environment, the people you work with, the way they do a lot of things. I hate the pay, the positive environment (I am all for being positive, but failure to assess what went wrong and how to fix things and treating people like nothing negative can be said, well, it creates a state of unreality), and the way they do some things (Seatbelts, a general lack of safety focus).

But yeah, real company, and, like all sales jobs, if you are good at it, it's a fantastic job. If you're bad in it, you will be gone pretty fast.
N  8th of Aug, 2009 by    -1 Votes
Wearing a safety belt has NOTHING to do with employment or contract - it is the LAW. We do not have 2 sets of safety standards in Canada - wearing a seat belt may save not only the life of the wearer, but others travelling on the roads.
Refusal to ride = no work = no money. This is unconscionable and Ben Stewart has some explaining to do.
N  9th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
@ scarlet2122
The thing about the seatbelts with spring masters is, that the vans are legally classified as buses and as you know, most buses do not have seatbelts, and that's how they get around that. Also you can only be fined for the amount of seatbelts in the van so if there are only 11 seat belts in the van and you have 15 people in the van, 4 of them would actually receive a different charge. I personally work for spring masters and I have to say, it was made really clear that if you get fired you would be left in the city you're in. I have heard of a fellow getting sued over 22k for stealing 15 bucks to be made an example of so you should be thankful they didn't get the legal team involved. I just also want to say spring masters is potentially a great employer but you get out of it what you put into it. I have been working there for the past couple of months in the k-w area.

@DJMASACRE;
You're just a ###. Probably a lazy dope head who doesn't know the meaning of hard work, just wants to make a few quick bucks for a fix.

@I am a raging...;
Yes, it can seem shady, but they do offer golf t-shirts and I personally clean myself off inbetween jobs using butter to make sure my hands are clean and I look some what presentable at the door, wearing a spring masters t-shirt, golfshirt ect, makes it seem less shady then some guy coming up to you in a muscle shirt or no shirt at all with a beer in his hand saying 'hey I'll seal your driveway for 40 bucks' personally, I'm going to go with the people wearing matching shirts, ect.

@ the person who said the product is faulty;
It's definitely not, there are companies out there that claim to be spring masters which is definitely something people should look out for.. I have heard of former employees who have the shirts go around with a flier saying they're sealing the driveways with a tar based sealant and then throw down some sloppy acrilic or oil based sealants which damages our reputation. So if someone comes to your door, says they're from spring masters ask them to see their cart, because if it's not a yellow push cart that says "Spring masters! In your neighbourhood today only!" then you've probably got yourself some former employee trying to make a quick buck or a dirty harry trying to make some cash off our reputation as a reliable company. This is what I think what happened to the fellow who complained towards the top, said that he had ordered a plan and it still hadn't come in over a month. There are two possibilities, 1) they simply haven't returned to that neighbourhood yet because of lack of business there or 2) you got scammed by a fake spring masters rep.
A  10th of Aug, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I worked for Springmasters Canada because I thought I would be able to make quick cash and a lot it it. My first day I got $110, 2nd day 120 and 3rd day 100. I only went for 3 days because on my 3rd day, I was working in Brantford (coming from Hamilton), and i was working and working and then a Springmasters guy comes. "Hey man hows it goin?" he says. "ah okay I guess" I said. "Well, how many Master Plans did you sell?" (Master Plans are the all season plans) "Master Plans? Well none, yet..." (I was expecting him to ask how many lawns I aerated...) "None? Really?" he exclaims. "yeah, I guess it's just not a good day" I replied. "Alright, man, keep at it" he replied with an uneasy kind of voice. At the time I had already done about 4-5 lawns. I had written the customers' information on a seperate piece of paper, not on the log sheet, because I was given several different looking log sheets and I was not aware of which one I should have written the sales on. I never had this problem before. 10 minutes later he comes back with another manager and accuses me of stealing. "Hey, there seems to be a bit of an issue with your sales" he says to me. "Pardon me? How so?" I replied. "Well I just went up and down the streets that you were assigned and I spotted several lawns that were just freshly aerated" he said. "Yeah...so?" "You told me that you didn't get any sales!" "No, you asked me how many master plans I sold, and I said none, you didn't say anything about aerations." "No I didn't, I asked you how many lawns did you aerate." I felt like I was arguing with an infant. I proceeded to show him the papers in which I wrote down each customers information and that I was confused with the paperwork, furthermore I went on explaining that this was just a big misunderstanding. "Now you can stand here and lie to my face all day and we get the police involved, or you can say the truth" he said to me, with a threatening tone. "Dude, I know what you're accusing me of and its not true. What? You think im stealing from you?" i said . "You tell me, hold on while I call the boss" I waited for 30 mins for him while he was talking on the phone. I didn't know whether he was just calling the boss or police station. I wasn't at all worried because I knew I hadn't done anything wrong. I sat on my aerator waiting for this idiot to get off the phone. As I was waiting, the other manager who came over with him came up to me. "Hey you worked with my team last week didn't you?" he said to me. "Yeah, I did" "Yeah, I remember, you got some great sales in that day" "I know, and a master plan too...I just don't get what the hell is wrong with this guy over here accusing me of stealing?" He was not at all hostile like the manager I was working with that day. Anyways, the ### manager got off the phone, finally, and approached me. Alright you have two choices, you can stay here and work off the rest of the day, or you can go home right now, do you have someone who can pick you up?" he said. "What do you mean, go home? Why would I go home, I want to keep working, I didn't do anything wrong" i explained. "Alright, get to work, ill be back soon to check up on you..." I went on the rest of the day working as usual. As I got picked up at the usual late time, I noticed a very awkward feeling in the van. It was like everybody knew I was accused of stealing, i'm pretty sure that ### of a manager told everybody, making me look and feel like a criminal for the long ride back to the warehouse. We arrived back, and I got in line to cash in. A manager pulled me to the side and told me that I had to move over the the end line where the group manager i was working with was at that day. I handed in my log sheets, cash, and money pouch, waiting for him to do the calculations, watching him to make sure he calculates it correctly. He handed me my pay, approx 90$. I grabbed the cash and proceeded to leave until I heard him say, "Hey, im gonna need your shirt". "What?" I said "But I didn't steal anything from you, the cash is all there, it was just a big misunderstanding" . "Yes we know it was a misunderstanding, but we can't afford to have our workers screwing up and not knowing how to do certain things, everything was taught to you in training for a reason" he said. "Can't I at least have another chance? This is my first time screwing up!" I asked. "No, sorry, please hand in your uniform" . "No" I said sternly "If you want this shirt back you're gonna have to pay me for it" . "What?" he said. "Yeah, I went to the orientation and training for 3 hours and was told thats how we earned our uniform, so I want money for it." I said. "I don't know what you're talking about..." he said. "Well, when you understand, you can get the shirt back" . I proceeded to walk away until I heard him say, "I'll give you 10 bucks for the shirt" I was expecting him to offer 5 bucks for such a cheaply made shirt, but 10 bucks made it worth it. I went to the washroom and removed the shirt, thankfully I had my jacket, so I didn't look like I got fired in front of everybody else. I tossed him my smelly sweaty shirt in return for 10 dollars. As I was walking away from the warehouse, believe it or not, I felt a certain "freedom". Sure I was still sore and in pain from the day of work, but I just realized that I never had to work there again! I was in a trance each day I worked there, telling myself that I had to keep trying harder at work to make more money, and that its not the company, its me and my working skills that decide my success. I came to realize that the mentality I had working there was ### and I became normal again. I looked down at my 90$ and the extra 10$ I got for being smart. I was happy. The day I got fired, I was happy. This can only happen at Springmasters, ladies and gentlemen, only Springmasters, the biggest scam in Ontario. Thank you for reading my experience with Springmasters. I don't recommend working there, however you should sign up for an orientation and training just so you can watch them explaining the whole scam. If you're one of those people who enjoy their right to freedom of speech, go ahead and raise you hand and expose their unethical business ways in front of everybody. Plus you can get a t-shirt as a souvenir, it could be worth more than 10$ someday when springmasters gets busted for fraud, and just don't show up for work, it will slightly cripple their organization for the day. Thanks once again :)
N  10th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
@ Amesoeurs
No one ever told me I would get left in city if I were suspected of cheating/stealing. Luckily, I never came across it (Especially good considering i've had a few days where people had aerations done the day before). But if the vans are classified as buses, well, do the managers all have their class C licenses? Can't drive a bus, legally, without a license.

@mike
Which city did you work in?

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree