Sporting Index / Online fraud

Sporting Index
I was surprised to receive both an email and a letter from the office of David Hipkind, employed as Head of Business Delivery at sportingindex.com trading as Sporting Index Ltd, which claims to be one of the world's largest online betting companies. My surprise was due to the fact that I am not a gambler and have never placed any kind of bet with this company. The letter demanded $900 from me to be paid within one week, ending unpleasantly enough on Christmas Day. If the money was not received before Christmas David Hipkind threatened to post defamatory materials on numerous websites about me and my property.

To do this in the United States or Canada would I believe be a criminal offense. England has been slow to adopt similar legislation. Nevertheless the threat was sufficiently detailed with malicious falsehoods and based on statements that were so clearly untrue, that it was possible to organize a legal injunction preventing him from posting defamatory materials on websites. Once served on him, he would risk arrest if he did not comply with its terms.

Armed with this information I approached the compliance officer whose job it is to ensure that sportingindex.com fulfills all the requirements of the Financial Services Authority. He was sympathetic and observed that this was 'an unpleasant business'. He passed on David Hipkind's letter to the managing director of Sportingindex.com Warren Murphy, who was not sympathetic.

Warren Murphy appeared to consider that since David Hipkind had not dealt with me as a corporate client this was no concern of his, despite the fact that the threat was issued in the company name, by a corporate officer, from the company address and using company web address in office time. That means that the company is legally responsible for David Hipkind's behavior.

I do not accept Warren Murphys distinction between corporate and private business behavior. I consider it just as likely that if a person behaves in an extortion fashion in a personal business capacity, it is possible that he will behave in the same way in a corporate business capacity. As Sportingindex.com deals with large sums of money on behalf of punters. Warren Murphy's dismissive attitude is surely a matter of deep concern.

A  11th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Found this via google after having problems with Sporting Index myself so I'm not surprised someone else has had problems also.

I have had the same experience with sporting Index, claiming i owe money that i don't even owe, i find the attitude i have so far had of them disgusting, i filed a complaint with the financial ombudsmans as this company think its above the law, i will also be seeking compensation for damages due to the stress and damage they have inflicted on my credit file.

They cant even prove that i ever even applied for credit! Why, because i never did!!

Yet they claim i owe money to them!

I would warn anyone against dealing with this company.
N  14th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Ive also had the same as you two, had SportingIndex chasing me for money i dont owe.

Im glad im not the only one, what can we do about this?

What they are doing must be illega?l, they cant just send us demands for money we dont even owe.

I Spoke to them via telephone and i was spoke to quite rudely, so i am getting no where, what can i do?
N  9th of Apr, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Someone ran up a £850 debt using just my name and address. They provided incorrect data for my date of birth, email address, phone number, bank account and occupation. So why were the fraudsters given credit? Although I have been told that I am not liable for the debt it is worrying that many online companies do not thoroughly check the identities of individuals.

In this case it goes to show gambling is a mugs game. SportingIndex are in a win-win situation, they can easily afford to right off the debt plus they know the fraudsters cannot claim any winnings. As a result they seem happy to ignore the feelings of innocent victims.

Identity theft is going to become a major problem in the next few years.