[Resolved] Spokeo / unauthorized billing

1 Pasadena, United States Review updated:

In order to find address information on someone I had lost contact with, I paid Spokeo $.95 for a trial membership. Upon discovering that their information was not up to date, I immediately canceled my "membership." I was then charged $19.95 8 days later for a one month membership. When I called to get a refund, they refused.

• Resolution statement

• Spokeo Customer Care's Response, May 19, 2015

We appreciate your concern, and are sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve the issue. Upon reviewing your complaint, it appears that you selected our Single Search with Premium Trial plan was selected, which provided you with an initial $0.95 Single Record as well as additional free Premium access for 7 days. As long as the trial is cancelled within 7 days, the account does not continue. Because your trial was not disabled within 7 days, a $19.95 1-month recurring subscription fee began to charged. Accounts of this type automatically renew if left active to prevent any service interruption. We try to make this very clear by detailing this on our payment page, as well as including it in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is even processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. We do apologize again if this was unclear in any way.

• Spokeo Customer Care's Response, Jun 01, 2015

Dear Deborah,

At Spokeo we do our best to ensure our customers are fully informed regarding our terms and conditions. Upon selecting the $0.95 option you are immediately entered into a 7 day free trial. If this trial is not disabled within 7 days, a $19.95 recurring subscription fee initiates. This is clearly stated on our payment page as well as the disclaimer which you must agree to before the purchase process can be completed. We are sorry for any misunderstanding,

Sincerely,
    Spokeo

Ak
May 14, 2015

Comments

• Do
      15th of May, 2015
    Spokeo - Not free as advertised
    spokeo
    Lakeland

They clearly state that reverse phone number search is free and it is NOT

• De
      21st of May, 2015
    Spokeo - False Advertising
    SPOKEO
    Monroe

Offered a 7-day trial for $.95, I was then surreptitiously charged $19.95 and signed up for an ongoing "membership", which, I presume, would have endured indefinitely until I discovered it. All very dishonest.