SPOKEO online service / deceptive advertising and ripoff

1 AK, United States Review updated:

A newish service out there that takes your email address and shoots it
to anyone who is in your contact list with messages--no matter how old
those contacts are!
As I havent had my own computer since fall since the little lappie
gave out
I have been using someone else's unit

First off this spokeo thing grabs your contact list which I have
connected to my email and notifies everyone on it--right down the
line!
I have years old contacts I never have used and dont want notified
they are on any LIST--for ###'s sake!

But even worse is the company policy
They advertise with a BIG BALLOON she said with their cost per month
and a small asterick
You click it thinking it is a one month charge with free trial and they screw you for a year
They are on the [redacted] but not much her credit card will do

Avoid this slimey outfit

SPOOKIO they are!

Comments

Jb
  5th of Nov, 2009

i also was scammed.still doing some investigation on this company, first i must say it was awesome at first, cause it found all sites that i used to go to, and i lost user names and all that, but it found every site i ever registered with, scary, um yeah, but thats not the worst of it..after being on the site for a little bit, of course after paying the money.site was working great until i logged off, and went to log back in and it would not let me, so i thought mm maybe i forgot my pass word, and so i put my email addy so they can reset my password, well guess what? you guessed it, it said invalid email, to make matters worse they have 2 different phone numbers one located in pasadina california and another in mountain view, and of course i called both, and guess what? Yep you guessed it again..got there voice mail..so i would not be dealing with this company

Jb
  21st of Nov, 2009

i wanted to update my complaint.. well i finally was able to get ahold of someone at there office and they did fix the preoblem, but it took about a week for them to get ahold of me..so i must say after emails after emails they finally got ahold of me.and as far as the searching goes, i would say that its an invasion of privacy..big time..they do charge automatically every year, so be aware of this, and you have to contact them..good luck getting ahold of someone...

Hh
  13th of Dec, 2009

I agree, this company is a big scam and an invasion of privacy. If you watch on youTube or other sites the founder almost slipped twice saying that it displays people personal information and data. Some other sites are also cooperating with them ! Like Amazon, Google and others. My information was set to private on most of them sites I subscribed to yet Spokeo found a way to get hold of it. Consequence I am permanently deleting my email and I know how I am going to get back to these guys.

Ba
  19th of Jan, 2010

I always make it a point to check out complaintsboard before making any kind of online purchase, especially with a newer company - and I must say I got scared reading the comments. But just last month, girlfriend needed to look up a few email addresses, so we decided to just bite the bullet and try Spokeo out. Wow is all I can say. It found tons of stuff. I actually used it take down some of my old photos...

Also, we made it a point to cancel our account right away because we didn't want to get charged again. Was pretty easy actually. I've had it much worse with companies like Prepaid Legal. Man, those dudes were horrible...

Zo
  24th of Jan, 2010

All I want to know is how can I BLOCK these reverse internet search copmpanies from invading my privacy??????

Zo

Ir
  24th of Jan, 2010

YESSSSS!!! THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!! I WAS A VICTIM OF CREDIT CARD FRAUD AND WHEN LOOKING UP THE INFORMATION ABOUT THE PERSON THAT STOLE MY IDENTITY--SPOKEO.COM POPPED UP AND OFFERED TO GIVE ME ALL TYPES OF INFORMATION BASED ON THAT PERSONS EMAIL ADDRESS FOR $1.99. UPON THINKING THAT WAS A GREAT DEAL TO FIND SOMEONE THAT JUST CHARGED THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON MY CREDIT CARD-- I GLADLY ACCEPTED!!! I DID NOT REALIZE I WAS SCAMMED UNTIL I FOUND THE CHARGE FOR $36 ON MY CREDIT CARD!!! THIS COMPANY IS A TERRIBLE SCAM AND I JUST HOPE OTHER PEOPLE ARE NOT BEING SCAMMED BY THEM!! I HAVE ALREADY LOOKED INTO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU IN SANTA MONICA CALIFORNIA WHERE THIS SCAM OF A COMPANY IS BASED TO FILE A COMPLAINT!! I WOULD TAKE THEM TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT ON PRINCIPE--BUT THE AMOUNT JUST ISN'T WORTH IT!! BETTER TO GET THE WORD ABOUT THIS OUT!!!

Do
  31st of Jan, 2010

I almost signed up but thought I had better check them for complaints first...thanks for your comments and I will pass the word around

Ka
  26th of Mar, 2010

I did not sign up for this site and I find it appalling that even though I am not a member (I would hate to see what would happen it you were a member!) they still have too much personal information on me and as a woman who lives alone this is VERY DANGEROUS to me and my daughter who lives with me! I feel violated and I really want to know how to get them to delete my information off of their site? I sent an e-mail to the "contact" information on the bottom threatening to SUE if anything happens to me as a result of having everything about ME hanging out there for any predator, thief, rapist or stalker to read about! Does anyone have any ideas? I never agreed to this information being there for anyone to get a hold of and I resent this invasion of my privacy like you can't imagine! HELP!

Rc
  27th of Mar, 2010

My husband and I just found out about this HORRIBLE site Spokeo.com, from our daughter. We were appalled also to think so much of our info. is being furnished to anyone who looks up our name. We also were wondering as we removed ourselves (supposedly) from there site, why they needed to send a removal request to our email address??
So for those who would like to remove themselves (we think) from Spokeo, go to the site, type in your name, select enter, select your name from the list on the left, copy the URL address ( alpha- numeric string that begins with http located at the top of the browser page) open a new browser window, go to spokeo.com, select Privacy (at the bottom of the page) submit your URL address, email address? and HV code. Then open a new browser, go to your email, open the email sent to you by spokeo, select the link provided to delete. Make sure you go back to the link spokeo, type in your name to make sure it has been deleted.
What a crock of ### to have to go through this. I couldn't believe the picture of our house was taken from accross the street. It even showed my truck in the driveway. I agree with "invasion of privacy", what has happened to our constitutional rights?
So we are wondering how long before our information becomes available again.

Mh
  30th of Mar, 2010

I agree 100%. This site is dangerous. I am a professional and deal with the public. I have gone to great lengths to have an unlisted phone number, caller ID block, etc. I have post nothing on the internet that gives out my personal info. What a surprise when my brother who is in law enforcement, told me about Spokeo and that I needed to go online and have my name removed from their site.
When I entered my name and location on Spokeo, I was appalled to find my spouses full name, my address with a Google picture of my house, the worth of my house (incorrect) and other personal info readily available for anyone to find.
The only thing missing was a key to the front door.
None of this info was posted by me on the internet. It must be available through county and state records (real estate transactions, etc)
As per RCBJLP, you have to go through several steps and give out your email address to have your name removed. (as far as I could tell, you could perform the removal without confirmation that you were in fact the person being removed.
To all of the lawyers on this board, if anyone believes this warrants a class action suit, let me know. At the least, when harm comes to those posted without their consent on the site (robbery or worse) are they eligible to sue Spokeo?

Al
  30th of Mar, 2010

I just found this site out through a friend, I looked up my name, and also my wife's name it had our address, and everythign else, but the worst part was when you enter your email address, and all your pics come up with it, it has my kids pictures and they are underage, and we gave no consent for these pictures to be posted so some perv can come on this site to see where we live and to watch us and to kidnap my kids, im ready for a lawsuit this is my life not there's.. please let me know, i would put my email adress on here but someone might just take that as well. But i will give you another email that i get junk for, alkamist@live.com, this is totally uncalled for.

Mr
  1st of Apr, 2010

I was told about this site and the morning after when I left for work, I got a call frantic phone call from my 13 year old niece (who lives with my husband, daughter and I) because "2 men are in the house!" She called 911 and it was determined that these 2 men were looking at my "page" on this website the night before the crime. My TWO YEAR OLD daughter AND my 13 year old niece had pictures of themselves on the page. I have NO idea how you people got their pictures but I am SERIOUSLY considering pressing charges.

An
  3rd of Apr, 2010

What Spokeo is doing is extremely dangerous.

An
  3rd of Apr, 2010

Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998

Ha
  4th of Apr, 2010

SPOKEO only shows YOU put and made readily available on the internet. They in no way invade your privacy, the goal is to show you what YOU'VE put on the internet so you can take it down. Anyone with a little knowledge of Google-Fu can find all the information Spokeo shows you.

Again, YOU are the one who posted YOUR personal information on the internet. Use Spokeo to take it down, like I did...

Mh
  4th of Apr, 2010

Happy88. You are WRONG. I have not posted my address anywhere on the web. This info is available from government sites. Here is a clip from the Privacy information of one of these search sites:
"Public records are available from the official public records custodian or repository to anyone who requests them. In order for any database of public records to be useful, the databases must contain all of the information in the public records offices. If you have a compelling privacy or security issue, you may wish to contact the official custodians of those public records that contain sensitive information about you, such as your county's land records office, to determine how to remove your information from the public record. (The process of having public records sealed typically requires a court order.) This process will ensure that the information is not available to the public, to us, or to any other public records information provider.
In addition to public records, personal information may be publicly or commercially available. Publicly available information consists of online and offline information that is generally available but is not maintained by a government agency, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers of individuals and businesses, professional licensing and trade organization information, press releases and newspaper articles and content from blogs or social networking sites. Commercial records consist of information that is maintained by enterprises and is available for purchase, such as marketing and telemarketing lists, phone connect and disconnect information, and business profile data."

As you can see, it is not easy to have this information removed from the Government sites. The problem I have with Spokeo is how easy they make it to access a person's address and personal data without having to pay any fee or go through multiple steps to obtain this privileged information. As noted, they give you the address and link directly to a Google picture of the house. One can obtain this knowledge without identifying themselves.

Of course, if someone if motivated enough, they can find this info elsewhere, just not that easily or anonymously.

Happy 88 - thats not true. I don't put my credit score up, I don't put how many people in my house, nor did I put ANY FINANCIAL information, and I DEFINITELY don't put my SSN UP ON THE NET!

********READ THE FINE PRINT! IF YOU ATTEMPT TO DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT WITH THEM, IT ONLY DELETES YOUR PUBLIC PROFILE, ALL YOU INFO IS STILL AVAILABLE TO A PAID SUBSCRIBER!*********

Jl
  5th of Apr, 2010

Shouldn't we get the money for letting them access our information? Where does this Spokeo get off receiving money to give out our information, then trying to get money from us to delete our information. Of course how many other websites, that we aren't aware of, have our infomation. This is an infringement on our rights. I think a class action lawsuite needs to be brought to Spokeo as well as any other site that gives out any type of personal information without our full consent or without us being able to block certain information with security measures.

Ou
  7th of Apr, 2010

Spokeo is sweet! I just found a bunch of stuff on my ex, and my old boss.

I don't really care if people want to know my credit score. It's 719.