Spiegel / Newport News / 4 years later, rec'd collection on paid acc't.!

I have recently rec'd a bill for $24oo+ for an account paid off in 2004 (at a bit over $800). Has anyone else had such a serious issue with this company? The lawyer for the collection agency was very nice, told me that the buyer of the contract, Midland Credit Management Co., and was a debt brokerage. I know that Spiegel has been having financial problems... This appears to be a company selling paid accounts as collectible to gain income. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I intend to let this go to court, if they have done this to me, they likely have done this to many ex-customers.

An

Comments

10th of Feb, 2009

I have just been contacted by a Stacey from 1st National Collections for a $124.85 bill for an item that was returned via UPS to Spiegel in the early 1990's. I initially heard from a CB/HV Collection Bureau Hudson Valley, Inc. in June of 1997 and they were given the information a few days later that it was a mistake by Spiegel. A Ms. Reed and a Shelly both assured me that it would be sent back to Spiegel. Well this morning 2/9/09 I got a call from a Stacey from 1st National Collections who was extremely rude, threatening and nasty with me when I explained the situation. I emailed Speigel immediately, something I did not have available in 1997, and received a form email back from a Ms. Patsy B of Spiegel client services who just referred me back to the agency that threatened me. I do not understand how they get away with releasing personal financial information based on erroneous information. My next step is the Better Business Bureau.