Special Day Events / Reception Hall

203Dallas, TX, United States Review updated:
2.5
Phone: 214-742-1526

This place was booked for a friends wedding and the service was not what they payed for. They lost money from a catering company they booked after SDE told the couple they can choose any caterers as long as they had a license. Three weeks before the wedding SDE told them they couldn't use the caterers they chose because they were not on the list of approved caterers. The contract online states the total cost for rental for a maximum seven hours and SDE only let them stay four hours. Also they threatened to charge $300 if anyone arrived before 7 p.m or if the hall was not cleared before 12 midnight. The contract says the rental is till midnight and from midnight to 1 a.m. is for clean up. Also the couple was threatened to be charged with another $300 for wanting to move a table. Which I know the contract does state no furniture must be moved but they did not set a table for the groom and bride. I also was a witness of some of SDE employees eating the food that was left over from the catering the party payed for and they were calling some of the security guys down stairs to come up and eat. If they were at least a bit nice to the couple getting married I wouldn't see that wrong but if they are going to be $$% @#* about it then I don't think they should even be getting what 's not theirs. Also I would understand that if there was trouble of some sort and they had to make the party short but there wasn't even any extreme loud music. This was a very religious wedding and I was so unfair for the couple to have it ruined that way. Beware of anyone who is wanting to rent Special Day Events and make sure you take a copy of the contract and put your foot down. Don't let these people ruin a one in a life time experience.

Comments

La
  12th of Aug, 2008
It's a great space, but it's too bad the women who run the place are so mean! I booked with Special Day Events/Ballroom at the Dallas Arts Center for its beauty and uniqueness. At first, the women who manage the space were nice and sold how helpful they would be in helping to set up the space and directing guests the day of the reception. However, once it was closer to the event, they were nothing but rude. When it was time to do the room setup order and I wanted to choose from the vases they provide for the centerpieces, she acted so annoyed to have to get them out, and she tried to shoot down every idea I had for the room arrangement. When I brought everything the day before the wedding to set up, they didn't help at all in putting out the basic things as promised (she hardly even came out of her office until I had to leave 2 hours later), and then proceeded to call me with all of these questions that she could have asked while I was there. The day of the wedding reception, they were supposed to be there to greet and direct guests, but apparently all they did was be rude to them whenever someone asked a question. At the end of the evening, everyone was greeted with a "get out, party's over!". After she kicked everyone out and my husband and I were having our private last dance, she had the audacity to yell at some of the catering staff who had quietly come in to clear the tables. I don't know why they were so unpleasant, and it really soured an otherwise great reception for me. I'd strongly advise having your reception anywhere else.