Spanair / Spanair lost luggage - no contact for 7 months

Spain Review updated:

Spanair lost our luggage on our flight from Zurich, Switzerland to Barcelona, Spain. Despite numerous phone calls and three letters requesting compensation, we have yet to be compensated. Phone calls to baggage services of Spanair are absolutely fruitless, as no one I've spoken can give me any information, except that the bag is still missing. I have never been able to speak to someone who is willing/able to tell me what is being done to locate my bag or to get me compensation for the lost bag. Spanair is like a vacuum this way, and the kicker is that calling them is a very expensive international call! Three letters requesting compensation have also gone unanswered. I am so frustrated because it seems like there is absolutely no recourse for this horrible treatment.
Va

Comments

Da
  7th of Jul, 2008
Couldn't agree more regarding the incompetance and general "We don't care" attitude of this airline. My golf bag has been AWOL since my domestic flight from Barcelona to Malaga last month and no one can tell me anything about it. My other bags were also lost, but located after 4 days (You can guess how awesome my only shirt smelled by then!) and offered no compensation for any items we were forced to buy, medical supplies, nada. Even when I asked, I was told, "We don't do that here".

This "airline" is a joke. Avoid at all costs!
Ma
  8th of Jul, 2008
It is absolutely a joke, it seems like nobody seems to understand what your saying, instead they are saying something completely different when you phone about your luggage, they don't listen and they are always talking over you. They are unprofessional, rude and they are always shouting over the phone and they don't seem to have a clue as to where your luggage is which is frustrating. Please BEWARE OF SPANAIR, they have certainly taught me a lesson NEVER FLY WITH SPANAIR.
  19th of Jul, 2008
I lost mine last weeklaong with others. Horrible airline!
  19th of Jul, 2008
I lost mine last week along with others. Horrible airline!
  19th of Jul, 2008
And they lost mine on the short minute flight from Barcelona to Mallorca!
  19th of Jul, 2008
30 minute flight, sorry my computer is messed up and leaving out words!
Ko
  21st of Jul, 2008
Couldn't agree more! Mine has been lost for a week now. I flew SpanAir to Madrid, and then connected to two AirCanada flights to return home. SpanAir won't even contact AirCanada after several baggage requests.
My kicker is that SpanAir said that there is a "possible match" for my bag in the airport I originally left... that was 60 hours ago. Now they have stopped all forms of contact and seem not to care about returning my bag to me.

Did anyone here actually ever get their luggage back?!?!
Ko
  12th of Aug, 2008
It has been one month, and SpanAir found my luggage and forwarded it to AirCanada, my connecting airline. Well, since then it has been lost, found, and lost again.

Who knows if I'll ever see my pants again?!
Se
  18th of Aug, 2008

Spanair - timekeeping
Ireland

i used spanair on a flight from cork to palma and back.on the outgoing flight the plane was 5 and a half hours late and when we got to palma at one in the morning we had to wait another two hours for our bags.on the return the flight was 3 hours late, so we spent 10 and a half hours in all waiting.i had never heard of spanair until i booked the flight and i will never use them again.
Do
  20th of Aug, 2008
Spanair lost my luggage A YEAR AGO and I've dealt with the same nightmare of absurd "customer service" (rude, misinformed people answering phones who finally told me it was their policy to NEVER allow a customer to speak with a manager!). I still haven't received my luggage NOR money (they lost, found and lost my luggage again, too).

They have absolutely NO ACCOUNTABILITY (I've done the run-around: I even went to Consumo (Spanish Consumer Affairs) in Spain whose job is to hold companies accountable for their actions and after 3 months they told me they couldn't do anything as "Spanair didn't want to deal with us" (should that matter?) and I was advised to contact AENA - the company in charge of the airports/airlines in Spain who then told me that was not their problem and I needed to contact... Spanair).

I agree: DO NOT FLY SPANAIR and if anyone finds a way of holding their feet to the fire, I'd love to know. I can't tell you how much frustration and anguish this has caused me over the past year.
Am
  20th of Aug, 2008
on a recent holiday trip to Ibiza from the canary islands Spanair managed to get EVERY flight delayed. First leg from Fuerteventura to Barcelona was so delayed that we missed our connecting flight to Ibiza. so a four hour wait in the airport until the next one - which was also then delayed by and hour and a half. so we arrived in Ibiza at half past midnight. on our return nine days later after spending two hours in the check in queue i decided to speak to a spanair staff member as the boarding time on our flight to Madrid was rapidly approaching . only to be met with "sorry the flights delayed by at least and hour and a half." this meant that we would again miss our connection flight back to Fuerteventura. worse still that was the last connection flight of the day so we had to board a flight to Madrid the following day and arrived back in Fuerteventura a day late. This company is UNBELIEVABLE. their staff were unhelpful and really didnt care either way. i will never use them again and i strongly advise that you dont either. of course now i am awaiting replies to my letter of complaint and request for compensation for having to miss a days work. going by their reputation i think i shall be waiting a long time.
Ph
  31st of Aug, 2008
on the 29 of aug i was with 2 of my friends heading back from ibiza we were 2 hours delayed in ibiza, we were told we had to fly to maljorca to change over staff so we were grounded for about 30 mins with no air con working and little water on board . they then told us there was something wrong with the planes wheel and we had to go to the termanal to wait for another plane to come to cut a long story short we were left for 12 hours wit no supervisors to look or tell us passangers what the truth was it was 1am in the morning when we left .. They are a shambles of an airline and i wont be ever using there services in the future because they are un- professional at everything 2008 and this is what us hard working people get they should be ashamed of themselves monkeys would do a better job ...
Ev
  2nd of Sep, 2008
Couldn't agree more with Donia.

My baggage was lost year ago too and my story is pretty much the same: numerous and expensive international calls, absolute incompetence of Spanair staff (they hardly speak any English), a nightmare.
Among others, I have been writing to Star Alliance, some EU institutions that are dealing with customer rights etc., but everyone are washing their hands clean. However, they offered me some compensation and I'm waiting for the payment. Will let you know when/if it arrives.

In the meantime, I would advise everyone to avoid Spanair at all costs. I would only recommend them to worst enemies. Look how they treat families of the crash victims, so no wonder they are so careless aboout the luggage.
Yo
  4th of Jan, 2009

Spanair - stollen laggage
spanair
Spain

My luggage was stollen when i flew with spanair, and they do not want to refund me for my lost, so what should i do about it. I would appreciate any advise. Thanks
Sh
  3rd of Jul, 2009
I'm Shaurya Verma, from India. I had the misfortune of unwittingly choosing spanair for my journey from Madrid to Valencia, and... God they suck. They lost my luggage and later did not even inform me that it had been found. Then, they did not deliver it to me, and i had to go all the way to the airport to collect it. When I got it, I found that it was badly damaged. My 1TB hard disk with all my important stuff did not work any more, and it looked like it had spent a day in a bullfighting arena. I asked for compensation but the airline is absolutely apathetic. I'm thinking of suing Spanair for causing so my mental anguish to so many ppl.
The onus is on sufferers like us to spread the word about spanair being such a horrible airline.
Za
  5th of Sep, 2009
I just traveled from Copenhagen to Madrid via SpanAir and surprise surprise, they lost my luggage as well. They said that they would deliver it to my address in Granada within two days. Two days came and I didn't have anything. I called them and they kept saying they would send it that day. I have called everyday since then, and now it's been exactly a week. I called them at least four times today and they kept telling me my luggage would be delivered today. Of course, it's nighttime and I still haven't gotten it. Tomorrow I have to go to the airport myself to pick it up and I'm so angry - not only did I have to buy stuff here that is in my suitcase, but I have to pay to go pick it up myself because they aren't professional enough to deliver one sole suitcase. They are completely apathetic and just say what you want to hear. I have a very strong feeling I will not receive any sort of compensation which makes me even more angry. Worst airline ever.
An
  30th of Oct, 2009
Well, I have the same experience - the only answer I get when I call the (called them 20 times in the last several month) is "we work on your case - you will get an answer asap" - nevertheless, they can't tell what asap means: a week, a year? who knows! It is the worst experience I have with lost luggage (& I am doing 160 flights a year and loose luggage on average twice a year..)

I am still waiting for an outcome since beginning of July (it will be November in 2 days..)

spanair.masist@mapfre.com is their contact mail (although it does not help to write them either)

SAS or LH should give them (as owners) some training. I will avoid them as much as I can.
Ja
  19th of Jan, 2010
Another angry customer. My daughter and her college classmate travelled on British Airways/Spanair to get from Chicago To Valencia, spain to study a semester abroad. Well, their experience so far in Spain has been a disaster because of Spanair. Spanair lost their 3 large bags which contained all their clothes and personal items. It has been nearly a week now and we keep getting the runaround. . . no one knows anything . . . they have promised to deliver bags one day and the next day, when bags havent been delivered, they have no clue where they are. Bags clearly tagged and even had complete flight itineraries and destination address and phone number--no excuse for being lost so long. Perhaps their employees steal these bags and sell goods on black market. What a scam! Customer service a joke. Honestly, they have no right to be in business, especially handling people's lives!!! These 2 college girls are miserable in Spain, not having anything to wear, not enough money to replace the contents, and not having good communication via internet/phone. Wish I would have researched this airline prior to booking my daughter on it . . . . at least in the United States there are standards and protocols and attempts to right wrongs--it seems like the international traveling community doesn't give a damn.
Sh
  31st of Jul, 2011

Spanair - luggage lost
shaun-nick bester
vigo
Spain

bicycle in bicycle box marked caixanova missing on flight from Johannesburg via Barcelona to Vigo missing VGOJK25486
Ir
  21st of Sep, 2011
Spainair lost my luggage, is 3 month and is now "officially lost" do they "steal" peoples luggage, it looks same to me as stealing, result is same: me & many others lost their values, , and no one protect us!? I flu BCN - VCE to catch $3 000 USD cruise, and for 12 days I had nothing to wear, my vacation was destroyed, I had no cloth to attend formal nights NO compensations so far from spaiair, not a $1, it looks that they run extra business on the side, stealing people's luggage
If someone would steal anything your on the street Police would protect you, why n airports is treated differently!?