[Resolved] Southwest Bulldogs / Stay away from this fraud!

Rick johnston sold me a English bulldog puppy that was SUPPOSED to be a show quality English bulldog puppy for $6,150.He gave me a story that he had a puppy that he was holding for a guy that was going to give to his son to start showing, but that when it was time to get the puppy the guy was going thru a divorce and couldn't take him. And he told me he would put me in front of his so called waiting list and sale me the puppy. He told me he was show quality and that I needed to show him so I could make him more valuable for stud service. I told rick that I was looking for a show quality bulldog to start showing and also be able to use him eventually as my stud for my breeding program. Rick guaranteed me he was all of this. When he shipped me the puppy he was almost 4 months old and weighed a mere 10.5lbs. I questioned rick about his quality and size and he assured me he was show quality and give him time he would grow. After this I was realizing rick johnston is a fraud and I started contacting breeders who show English bulldogs and I sent them pictures of him and they all stated he was far from show quality. They stated he was way too small and show standard calls for a bulldog to be at least 50 lbs. and by the size of this guy he will be lucky to reach 40lbs. full grown. Also within 1 week of getting him he developed cherry eye in one eye which rick did reimburse me for the cost of the surgery. As for showing him i have been told the cherry eye automatically disqualifies him due to the fact that the dog is not allowed any alterations and the cherry eye surgery is an alteration of the eye. Besides this he has tulip ears a small and not standard shaped head. He is clearly not show quality and to top this off when he shipped the puppy to us he told us we would have his papers in 30 days. When the 30 days were up we called him and asked him again and he stated he had not drawn them yet and it would be another 30 days. Well the 30 days is up again so i e mailed him asking him for them and he stated to me that he was moving facilities and that when he built his new facilities he would draw for them. When I questioned him on this and asked how hard is it to draw the papers and asked how much longer I had to wait he wrote me back saying he is tired of my belly aching and I would get the papers when I get them. I have every right to be questioning this fraud who ripped me off $6,000 and hasn't even gave me the papers on the puppy which is now 6 months old. So basically I paid $6,000 for a non show quality bulldog with no papers. I asked this scam artist for either a partial or full refund and he told me its not going to happen. Everyone thinking about buying a bulldog from this fraud should STAY AWAY!!! AND RUN FROM HIM. There's more cases even worse than mine. I have filed a formal complaint about this fraud to the Arizona attorney generals office and hopefully this scam artist will be put out of business.

• Resolution statement

Southwest Bulldogs customer care service did everything in their power to resolve this complaint. All attempts to contact the client have failed. Therefore, this complaint has been annulled and must not be considered where company image and it's services are concerned.

Comments

• Br
      13th of Feb, 2007

Hello Tommy,

I'm sorry for being short with you (my girlfriend was pushing me out the door).

To tell you how "ANGREE" I am with Rick would be saying the least... Like you, I bought a Bulldog (White English Bullie) from Rick Johnston in late October 2006. First thing, I was turned off by his response, which he always agreed with what I was saying (redflag #1).
    *Mainly, what got my attention with your story was; it was the same line as what he told me!!!

That pisses me off!! Like you, my dog had a price tag of US$4,800.00
    And Rick kept saying the guy who he was supposed to sell the dog too was going through a divorce and if I gave him an answer rite then, he would let me have the dog the following day.

Before that, I was patiently waiting for the right dog for many of years since my last dog was ran over on Christmas Eve... And Bulldogs are hard to buy anyway because of defects and other unwanted characteristics [which you found out the hard way(I'm truly sorry for what happened, hopefully he pays for ALL the problems he has caused)with all of us!!!]. With everything said, I wanted to wait a little bit more...and pay a lot less!

In all the confusion, I am mad for a couple of reasons:
    a. Rick lied about the litters, and where the dogs came from and where they were going... What else did he not tell us?
    b. I do not have the pedigree papers, which leads me to think are they even pure english lines?
    c. And that I was not the only one this happened too...

Lastly, I THINK MY DOG WAS ABUSED, she won't even let me be in the same room when she is eating. Also, Sarah (my dog) is terrified of everything, and everywhere we go.

Well, if you get this try to keep me informed on anything I can do to help you fix, or correct your situation...Best of luck, and Best of wishes!

Sincerely Brady S. Rischman
    Richmond, VA
    (804)382-0371

You can contact me via blistic@cyber-rights.net OR Rischman@adelphia.net Or this yahoo account. Thnx!

• Bo
      23rd of Feb, 2007

Thanks for the warning. I think the authorities should crack down on people doing scams like this. It's outrageous.

I'm looking for an English bulldog puppy. I'll stay away from this guy!

Bobette Bryan

• St
      25th of Mar, 2007

Not only was i scammed by rick johnston, but brentwoodbulldog.com. They sold me a miniature bulldog that was not supposed to be larger than 35 lbs, but is now 70 lbs. He has mange and was sold by brentwoodbulldog.com in florida and from a puppymill in mo. When i received the papers i called the breeder and she told me that brentwoodbulldogs.com buys sells her puppies for 2000.00 or more and she sells them to brentwoodbulldogs for 800-1200 dollars.

27th of Mar, 2007

I am curious as to how his plan for establishing a genetic bulldog breeder network has panned out?
    apparently he wants to sell groups of puppies which upon maturation would be suitable for breeding purposes - together with some support for selling them at a premium - to establish a group of high quality breeders with bulldogs that are at least five generations not inbred or cross bred in any manner for around $5k each. One thing is for certain from the pictures of the pups on his site and the dogs he has given away or sold to celebrities they look fabulous - although a picture is hard to judge by.

I am also curious to see if any actual owners who are impressed with there purchases will post... Perhaps this one pup sold to Tommy Miller is an exception...the other pup complaint from Brady S. Rischman does not indicate any difficulty other than clerical paperwork - i am presuming the puppy is A1.

My suggestion... lets give this some more time. Most definitely other owners will see this and post... but i must say his effort to improve the breed is commendable. Mr Tommy Miller it appears he issues a contract when you purchase the pup... so some recourse you do have.

3rd of Apr, 2007

I have been to the website and I am pulled in so many directions, as for one if you want to go and view the pups do so. he asks for a small deposit to hold the dog and for first pick its not that much. Have you seen the show Rob and Big, their dog meaty seems to be a great example of a EBD AND it was bought from SWB.

If you look on his site he also has what to look for in an EBD and what to run away from. He also states proof of bloodlike and pedigree will be included.

BUT he does make claims that almost every other organization you should run from. AS a EBD lover It has me all over the place. I look at the pictures of his dogs and then of normal 2000$ pups that grow up and these dogs seem to have more spunk. I am going to attend a show here in AZ and see what other EBD lovers say. He has invited me to come and look at his dogs and facility, why would someone with something to hide do this?

I have heard complaints from breeders about him but not that many customers AS YOU SHOULD not for 6000$ a pup eh? If anyone can shed light on the issue let me know:)

3rd of Apr, 2007

PS.

I have searched other search engines and only find this one complaint ACROSS THE WHOLE WEB.. the same story on countless boards with no follow-up.

I live in AZ I will be more then happy to go there take pictures and give you my PERSONAL opinion after inspecting the dogs and papers WHICH HE OFFERS TO SHOW ANYWAYS.

PLEASE send me pictures and proof of purchase of the faulty animal, as I want to buy a EBD from him and. THANKS.

• St
      6th of Apr, 2007

Southwest Bulldog and BrentwoodBulldog.com are scammers. Nothing more and nothing less. They import dogs from Russia or Puppy Mills in MO, NE, KS. These are known puppymill states. If you look at your papers you will be able to see exactly where your puppy came from.

• Ro
      10th of Apr, 2007

SouthWest bulldogs are definitely importers, he may have a few sires and dams in his facility but they are no where the same quality of puppies he is selling. He says he owns 9 of the top dogs abroad but if you research those dogs you will see they have other owners. $4500 -$6000 for a pup? not even the actual owners of these Ch. bulldogs charge those prices, you figure their stud service for these Ch Sires is between $600-$1000 for frozen semen. Even the dogs he has on his website arent great quality, the pictures of the Ch bulldogs he has in portraits as the sires dont even belong to him. It makes me laugh how hes selling a brindle bulldog stating it is sought over by many breeders and has a value of over $50,000 dollars and in the for sale page you see the same dog for sale for about $12,500 which is the ugliest bully ive seen, looks like an olde english.

• De
      29th of Apr, 2007

Rick only sells quality bulldogs, this is why he was on the show Rob & Big and sold them their bulldog, Meaty. Rick also sold a bulldog to Oscar De La Hoya. If you pay for a $6000 bulldog that is what you are going to get, show dogs cost much much more than that. I am very happy with the business i have done with Rick.

4th of May, 2007

I am the one who originally stated this complaint and to add to it is has been over 3 months since I wrote this complaint and I still have not received registration papers on the dog I bought from the fraud rick johnston. I'm updating this to let people know and because of this ridiculous message from this derrick person.When I bought my bulldog from rick I was inexperienced about show quality bulldogs apparently like this derrick person. Rick johnston has no show dogs and has not put out of any of his litters a show dog to this day. And you are very wrong when saying a show dog costs more than $6,000. Check around with the top show dog breeders and you will find out. Once again I paid $6,000 dollars for a 40lb. bulldog with no registration papers,a small head, tulip ears, cherry eye, and very bad attitude with other dogs. There has been numerous times he has attacked my female for no reason. Now if this is what someone wants to get for $6,000 then rick johnston is your guy. And by the way rick gives the celebrities the bulldogs they dont pay and this is what he told me

4th of May, 2007

Tommy,

You are 100% correct about Rick. Rick is a fraud. I have a lot of information on him which I will post shortly. Derrick is probably a friend of Rick's and I suspect that the Mathew on this page that disagrees with you is Rick son, but I don't know that for sure. I'll get back to you with more information.

5th of May, 2007

Rick Johnston of South West Bulldogs, Hollywood Bulldogs and The Genetic Bulldog Breeders Association is a liar, a crock and a fraud. My husband and I signed up with Rick to be part of his Genetic Bulldog Breeders Association. For that privilege Rick would charge us $25,000.00 for three females and training on breeding (which included videos made by him). Another $25,000.00 was due from the first litters born by the females. The females were to be held in co-ownership unit Rick received the full $50,000.00. After which the females ownership would be transferred to us. I had asked Rick on a number of occasions for photos and pedigrees of the girls that he was sending but Rick never seemed to have the time and assured me that we would love the girls that we were getting. We asked that only two be delivered at first and the third in a few months. When the dogs arrived we were really concerned because one had a cherry eye, one had mange and both were a horrible depictions of the breed. They also arrived with no pedigrees or paperwork. I contacted Rick and said I was concerned about how these girls looked as well as potential health issues. Remember Rick claims to only breed healthy top quality dogs. He assured me that the dogs were “A+ in standard” and that they were great breeding females. My husband and I took the females to our local vet who is very well versed in Bulldog conformation. Our vet said “I’d be embarrassed to sell these dogs for $100.00 each, they should NEVER be bred because of health concerns and conformation issues”. My husband then contacted Rick and asked him to take back the dogs. Our contract states that if we decide not to move forward for any reason we need to return the dogs to Rick immediately. Rick refused to take the dogs back. Even when we told him that we would be giving the dogs up for adoption at our local pound he still refused. You can’t tell me he thinks these dogs are worth anything if he refused to take them back. I then decided to do a little research on Rick and found the following. He does not have any of his dogs licensed in Arizona as of 5/2/07. I could not find proof that he holds a kennel license. He has pictures of impressive bulldogs on his website but he did not breed ANY of the champions. Limited Edition was bred and shown by Bomberland Bulldogs in Hungry. I spoke to the owner and he said that Limited Edition was sold to Rick in late 2005 or early 2006. The link to verify this is www.bulldogs.bomberland.hu/ click on males and then Fred and you’ll see him. Funny that Limited Edition’s pedigree is not posted on Rick’s website. I think he does not show it because the breeders name is on it. Rick also claims that he ownes a kennel in Hungry. I’ve found no proof of this. I also looked up one of Ricks females and found that she was bred by a kennel in the Netherlands her name is Sweet Pea (her sister is Sodona) and the kennel link is www.kasanbulls.nl . I also found NO proof that Rick has been breeding bulldogs for over 20 years as he claims. Type in the words Rick Johnston and bulldogs and you’ll find his website and consumer complaints nothing more. I spoke to three different breeders in the USA and none of them knew who Rick Johnston was. As far as Rick’s connection with celebrities, he gives the dogs to them for free. He told me this himself. It’s sad to say but Rick & Mathew Johnston are nothing more than a scam and a puppy mill. If you are considering buying from them please do the research first. This guy is out to make a quick buck and does not care who he steps on.

• Da
      6th of May, 2007

I have known Rick for a few years, I have several of his dogs and I have never had a problem!!! Rick has always done what he says he'll do when he says he'll do it. He has been honest to a fault and very supportive when I have any questions or need information about bulldogs. I dont know what happened with with these people who say they have a problem with Rick, but like most things there are TWO sides to every story.

6th of May, 2007

Dan, what did Rick say happened? We have attempted to call him, mail him and email him. He will not return calls or letters. This morning he spammed out my email so I can't email him. Please post what he said happened. I'd love to hear his side of the story. I have found at least 14 other complaints about Rick. It's sad.

6th of May, 2007

This is to Dan. If you say rick has always done what he said he would do and you have several of his dogs you would be the first person I have found to say that.And I would love to see some pictures of the dogs you have got from him and there pedigrees. Because actually I dont believe you and I would like for you to prove me wrong. And what two sides of the story is there. He ripped me off $6,000 for a non show quality bulldog with a genetic defect and no papers and did the same to me as he did to Otilia and made my emails spammed out also. Did you not read Otilia's story what other side is there I mean he ripped them off $25,000. And now wont return there messages. Since you want to come here and be his defender and you say you have never had a problem with him then where is your proof?

Tommy,

I know who Dan is and he is a very nice and trusting guy. He does trust Rick and is one of Rick's GBBA breeders. The problem is that he really does trust Rick and Rick is a great con. I truly believe that Dan is trying to do the right thing. However, what Dan is not seeing is that Rick continues to pull the wool over his eye. Dan has 5 females from Rick at route66bulldogs.com and he has yet to see one pedigree on them. When I asked Dan about this he said "I trust Rick, I'm not worried about it". He was also under the impression that Rick was the breeder of his stud Champion Limited Edition. It's easy to verify that this is not true by looking up Bomberland Bulldogs online. I really feel bad for Dan because once he figures out what is happening here it will be to late.

6th of May, 2007

Well like I said Otilia if he wants to be ricks defender then where is the proof. I did go and check his site but like I said pictures and pedigrees. I did not believe he would have both.If he has no pedigrees on the dogs he got from rick that he shows on his site that is bad because they all look grown and he should of had them a long time ago. So apparently he too is a victim of rick and he just hasn't figured it out yet. And if he thinks he doesnt have a problem with rick I would say hes very mistaken because to have 5 english bulldogs with no papers from the breeder I would consider a major problem. Anyways RICK JOHNSTON IS A FRAUD WHO IS GETTING EXPOSED

• Ro
      8th of May, 2007

I was about to Call SW "BULL" for more information, thinking of buying my first bully. I decided to do some more research first, and I found this compelling argument... I am extremely hesitant to even look at this guys web site again.. your complaints ARE working!

AND, I agree.. someone, RICK , should be supporting HIMSELF, there is no doubt that he MUST know about these complaints, and has made no effort to contest them.

The next very important concern is WHERE DO I BUY MY BULLY? Not only was Rick @ SW completely turned down, but so was a list of other Mills, and Breeders he is apparently connected with..

The Pup will be a College Grad gift... MAY 20th

PLEASE HELP!

P.S. If you suggest a Breeder to me, please prove that you are not a part of there organization.. this is all too scary!

9th of May, 2007

As a Bulldog Club Of America (BCA) member in good standing I can safely say just about everything you see/read on SW Bulldogs is total nonsense. There is no such thing as a Genetic Breeders Association especially not for Bulldogs !! He bashes BCA and many of it's long time respected breeders simply because he was denied membership and or the breeders he mentions refused to sell him dogs or stud to him.

He does not produce show dogs in fact I have yet to see or hear of any dogs he's personally bred /produce becoming an American champion or he would proudly be displaying them as such on his web site. The dogs you see such as Meaty owned by celebrities were given to them as an advertisement gimmick. Sorry to disappoint everyone but Meaty is NOT a quality bulldog and doesn't come close to what a standard Bulldog should look like. Go check out the breed standard depicted on both the AKC and BCA web sites.

Please I am urging you to do your home work, research the breed, read the standard , attend a few shows in your area then seek out a reputable breeder before purchasing !! BCA also has a breeder referral service and Bulldogs World has a breeder referral on their site as well. There are many Yahoo Bulldog groups available and several Bulldog forums on forum 54 as well. Tons and tons of resources !!!

To Ron up above:

If you need assistance please feel free to contact me and I will be more then happy to refer you to reputable breeders in your area.

• Ci
      12th of May, 2007

I have bought 2 bulldogs in the last 5 yrs, and I have had no problems with Rick. I know a lot about bulldogs, and these are high quality bulldogs. FYI... for the lady that said there is no such thing as the GBBA... there is!! Do your research... The GBBA's is to stop all the inbreeding that American Bulldog breeders do. You won't find a better breeder than Rick!! I'm sorry you feel that way. I think you took it out of hand. Just because your bulldogs don't look like champions doesn't mean they can't produce champions! IT'S ALL ABOUT GENETICS !