Southwest Airlines / open seating - not

My wife and I had B-40 B-41 SOUTHWEST airlines boarding passes. We had an A boarding pass from LAX to Vegas When we boarded the plane in LAS VEGAS - Albany ny, we saw 2 seats an aisle and middle seat empty; however, a newspaper and glasses were on the aisle seat. These were the only two seats together. I asked the person sitting on the window seat if anyone was sitting there. He stated he didn't see anyone. The man [about 40 ish ] sitting in the opposite aisle seat stated yes the person was in the bathroom. This seemed stange to me and my wife and I continued to look for seats. Not finding seats close to each other futher back we started to go back up. It dawned on me that the person was saving a seat in the aisle for his friend. By that time the middle seat was taken and I confronted the person saving the aisle seat. Let him know he was saving the seat. Called the flight attendant and she stated I think he's in the bathroom that's what the person told her. Well, the person who sat in the seat had a B-60 BOARDING pass. I knew this because the person was in the B line and tried to get on first and was told he was the last on the B line B-60. my wife and I had to sit in middle seats away from each other and had to go to the back of the plane to eat the sandwich we brought on board to share, we ate standing up. I was angry and fuming. As soon as I arrived home I complained. This is the response I received:
We are sorry you are disappointed with your and your wife's recent travel experience after witnessing other people save seats.We never want our Customers to walk away with unpleasant memories, and we apologize for your frustration.
Since we have open-seating, the question of saving seats is a difficult one. On the one hand, to maintain the integrity of the boarding process and to allow choice of seats to those with early numbers it makes sense to limit the saving of seats. Of course, on the "flip side, " we don't want to separate family members as we realize it is important for some to be seated together (i.e. those traveling with young children). Nevertheless, we certainly apologize for your disappointment. Please know that we have tracked the main points of your e-mail via our monthly summary, which is distributed to our Senior Leadership.
Elise Southwest Airlines
No children involved . Children are let on early. Response was poppycock.. Instead of stating there are no saved seats, this is the nonsense I received. This ticted me off more. Called Southwest and was told to call [protected] on Monday which I will do.
THE SOLUTION;
Get a blue pass for early boarding . It's available to everyone and used by many often for pre-boarding. They cannot ask you on your medical condition. I always despised many phonies who use this ruse and feel sorry for the people in need.
Someone in Baltimore had a B boarding pass had his wife get a wheelchair, had an attendant wheel him on to the plane with his wife following. My wife and I were in the A group we saw this person walking briskly from the back of the plane to the front having the people going on to move and let him back. It was a miracle.
So what is the policy of Southwest ? It's open seating or saved seats? Or if you get a High B number get a blue card medical pass. If Southwest can't follow their rules, why should you. We have traveled all over on various airlines. We never encountered a problem including when we flew Southwest before. Southwest seems to be in decline . It appears they are confused with their own policy. Now I see a lawsuit with their drink coupons.

Ra

Comments

• Ra
      20th of Nov, 2011

The person on the aisle seat put his eyeglasses and newspaper on the seat and stated his friend was in the bathroom. His friend didn't even board yet. No, I'm 66 and tend to follow rules. As to your rude reply, poppycock.

• Vb
      20th of Nov, 2011

Typical baby boomer. So you and your wife didn't get to sit together during the flight. Big deal. Southwest was right to address your complaint the way they did.

20th of Nov, 2011

The question is the policy. Is it open seating or you can scheme and save seats. Do you even read and understand issues? v ben, you just don't get it !

• Mr
      21st of Nov, 2011

Or, don't be a cheapskate and pay the extra $10 to board early. What a crybaby.

21st of Nov, 2011

After speaking to a Customer Representative on Monday situation was resolved. Unfortunately there are people who scam the Southwest system and Southwest management is aware of the problems these people create. They will try to look into procedures and stop the schemers who board their flights.

21st of Nov, 2011

mrknowitall just about says it all, marknowitall knows nothing.

14th of Nov, 2012

While saving seats on Southwest is generally a no no, you misquoted the airline's response. You said that no children were involved. While this may be true, Southwest's response was, "we don't want to separate family members as we realize it is important for some to be seated together (i.e. those traveling with young children)." In other words, Southwest offers children as an example which is not definitive. Indeed, families don't always consist of children, i.e. a senior citizen with Alzheimer's Disease. Without knowing the specifics about the person whose seat was saved, it is impossible for Southwest to make a determination in your favor. Moreover, your tickets do not guarantee seats together, but rather a seat period. Regardless, did you ask other passengers if they would mind moving to accommodate seats together, or were you just fixated on the saved seat.