Southwest Airlines / baggage lost

We traveled from Chicago to Baltimore at 3:00 p.m. flight 202 on Friday, December 22nd to spend time with family over the holidays. We were the last people off of the plane, and stopped to use the restroom, and by the time we reached the baggage claim it was unclear from the signage which carosel our baggage would be on. We asked the baggage personnel and they were unhelpful. We finally recognized some people from the flight and migrated towards an unmarked baggage claim. Our flight finally came up and we waited about 45 minutes for all of the bags to come around. We realized that none of our bags showed up, and about 20 other people from the same flight had a similar situation. Next, we all went to the Southwest baggage office and waited another 30 minutes only to be told that our situation wasn't unique, all baggage from Chicago was delayed since 10 a.m. the same day, and to fill out a claim form to get our baggage. (At this point, I wondered, if you knew that major baggage issues were a factor, why wasn't that information communicated to the baggage receiving personnel in Chicago? If we were told, "We are having a baggage problem, and if you can carry your luggage on, do so" , then we could've been armed with the necessary information to make a decision.)

We filed the claim, and waited. We called at about 11:00 p.m. to find out what was going on only to be forwarded to an unmanned voice message system with no options to speak with a real person. We finally got thru to a person around mid-night who informed us that one bag was in, but they were still waiting for the other one to arrive. When asked the ETA of the second bag, they had no answer. We asked them to bring the bag that they had, since it had gifts in it, and we were exchanging gifts with family in a couple of hours. They refused. They said they would give us $75 to come and pick up the bag. At 12:30 a.m. that did not sound very appealing. So we waited. We were told that we would receive a call with an update by 1:00 or 1:30 a.m. at the latest. We never received a call.

At 7:30 a.m. we phoned again. Once again, we were routed to the unmanned phone system. (Very frustrating, it's as if they are saying, "we screwed up, we lost your bags, but we're much to busy and important to actually take your phone call." It's like a bad one sided relationship that we are paying to be a part of.) We continued calling and finally got thru to someone who let us know that both bags were in and would be delivered sometime between 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. We envisioned yet another day of waiting and asked if their were any other options. We were told no. We were offered $50 to come a get the bags. (Apparently, our discomfort and inconvenience was going down in value in the eyes of the BWI Southwest Baggage Office.) Next, we were told by J'Vette -a baggage clerk- that our situation was not unique, our needs were not important, and that we would have to wait our turn in the line up of people who were waiting for bags. (Just what we needed after a night of not sleeping-waiting for a call from SWA baggage). We opted to pick up the bags, not wanting to trust our holiday plans to the Southwest Logistics Dept and clerks like J'Vette.

Thanks a lot SWA for helping our holiday get off to a great start. We are disappointed and feel as though Southwest Airlines baggage teams should collaborate more effectively and communicate with their customers. Mistakes happen, but Southwest should do a better job of handling customer concerns. Additionally, SWA should invest in customer service training for baggage people. The airline crews are so friendly and outgoing... that image diminishes when you deal with the baggage office. The two are incongruent.

Comments

• Fr
      1st of Aug, 2007

Your luggage was not lost. It was stolen by drunks and addicts that pass for Southwest Airlines baggage handlers.

• Pa
      29th of Jan, 2008

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES LOST MY LUGGAGE AND TOLD ME THAT BECAUSE NORTH WEST HAD LOST MY LUGGAGE THE YEAR BEFORE. THEY COULD NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. IF YOU HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH SOUTH WEST AND ARE INTERESTED IN A LAW SUIT AGAINST THEM CALL 910 582-3960 OR 910-581-2061.
    WE NEED TO GET THE BALL ROLLING ON THIS LAW SUIT AND THERE IS A BIT OF RACISM INVOLVED IN BAGGAGE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

PAT

• Ia
      25th of Mar, 2008

We picked up my brotherinlaw from a flight from Chicago to Orlando March 22/08 to have the same sort of problem, no bags on arrival. We waited for 30 min. with no announcements from southwest. My wife saw a pile of bags near the baggage office and called us over. My brotherinlaws bags where there as well as a female employee of S/W. Bro-in-law said out loud to us, "Why didn't anyone say anything to us", the baggage person looked right at us and said "I'm so sick of you idiots complaining about your bags", we all tried to reason with her to no avail, we then went to file a complaint against her in the baggage office where this female told us to "[censored]off" as well as many other nasty things. Another S/W employee escorted her to the back office and the nasty person exited from another door to return to us to continue her abusive behavior. We complained to a superviser about this and got a phone call from customer service later with no results being issued. Bottom prices = rock bottom baggage service!

• Ye
      29th of May, 2008

my parents fly southwest from PHL to Oakland, CA in May, on the way there, they lost their luggage. My familes fly from PHL to Oakland two days later, they lost our luggage. they were able to find it and delivery to us the next day, which is fine. But then on the way home. They lost my dad's luggage, the next morning they found it and call me telling me that the bag was damage, and the stuff inside was soaking wet, so they offer me a new bag and $75 voucher, since they don't have the same size bag as the one that damage, they will offer me a bigger one, so i accept the offer and let me know that my husband will stop by the airport in the afternoon to pick up my dad's bag and the new bag and the voucher. By the time my husband got to the airport, the staff are telling me the different story, they told him they don't have any bag the same size, so they are just going to offer us $100 voucher. My husband call me while he is at airport and tell me, and I spoke to the SWA staff and told me that's not acceptable. The SWA staff was so rude to me, he said he can't give me the bag, i only have 2 options, either take my torn bag and the $75 voucher to go, and go fix my bag, and submit the receipt to them or take the $100 voucher. And I told him, by the way, his name is Noel, and I told him either option is not acceptable, that's not what they told me on the phone. I told me that they are wasting my time to go to the airport and pickup the stuff. And Noel told me that's why they are giving me the voucher. after i told Noel that both options that he offer are not acceptable, and I ask to speak to his supervise, and he put me on hold and then come back to me telling me that he can give me a bag with southwest print on it. I told him no, I do not like to advertising for SWA. And he was asking me what else i want. and I told him that I don't want anything but speak to his supervisor, after he put me on hold for 5 min., he finally transfer me to his supervisor. and his supervisor Lennox is an idiot too, i am pretty sure that while Noel put me on hold for 5 min, he has already describe the situation to his supervisor. But Lennox act like he didn't know what happen, so I explain it to him again, and his response is that he can't really hear me, coz i am on the cellphone and i am driving. So i repeat it again, after Lennox listen to it again, he put me on hold for 5 min, and then hang up on me.

** Southwest has no service at all, even the flight attendent are very rude.

** They lost your luggage and damage your luggage, and have the gut to be mean to you.

**** Never ride Southwest again******

18th of Jun, 2008

I have flown with Southwest 3 times in the past 4 years. EVERY TIME my bags have been lost. I have tried to make phone calls to complain about the lack of competence but every phone number they list is either always busy or goes directly to voice mail (with no return phone call).
    If you have a simular experience please go to this web-site to complain Aviation Consumer Protection Division airconsumer.ost.dot.gov
    The info you give them will be shared with Southwest as well as the MEDIA.
    I am Sick of Southwest getting so may accolades with they cant even complete the simplest of tasks, answering the phone!

• Re
      5th of Jul, 2014

I AGREE DO NOT FLY THIS AIRLINE IF ENOUGH PEOPLE FEEL THIS WAY THEY WILL EITHER HAVE TO CHANGE THEIR PRACTICES OR SHUT DOWN MY NAME IS REGINALD BOLTON AN I HAD AN ISSUE WITH THIS AIRLINE AN VOW TO NEVER FLY WITH THEM AGAIN PASS THE WORD AN MAKE A CHANGE