Southwest Airlines / rude airline personnel

Here is the letter I am sending to Southwest Airlines first thing tomorrow morning. I am still as mad as ever!

RE: Customer Service Commitment and Our Mission Statement

The mission of Southwest Airlines is dedication to the highest quality of Customer Service delivered with a sense of warmth, friendliness, individual pride, and Company Spirit.

Dear Sirs,

I was a passenger on two Southwest Airlines flights this week. The first on May 30, 2007 to San Francisco #199 out of John Wayne Airport and the second today, June 2, 2007 returning home to Orange County, California.

After a wonderful vacation to visit my son in San Francisco, I boarded flight #2089 and settled in for the trip home. While descending into John Wayne Airport one of your flight attendants picking up customer’s garbage, passed by without looking at me or asking me for my empty cup. I said “Excuse me” but was ignored. I then tapped her on her waist at which time, she turned around and very rudely and loudly stated that “It is NOT OK to touch me, that is not good” etc. I was rather shocked to be spoken to that way by anyone, much less airline personnel. I wasn’t a drunken male passenger grabbing at a young woman to harass her. I am a professional middle-aged, married, mother of two. I apologized and was embarrassed.

After sitting for a few minutes, two female passengers seated across from me said how disgusted they were with this flight attendant’s manner in which she spoke to me. We heard her over the radio thanking everyone for flying Southwest and then added “To be kind to one another”. Several passengers on the plane broke out in laughter hearing how this young lady treated me and then saying something as hypocritical as that! As I left the airplane, she thanked me for flying Southwest, not personally but a blanket statement that all your airline personnel say to passengers leaving a flight. I asked for her name as I intended to write to Southwest immediately.

While waiting for my luggage in Baggage Claim, another man approached me and asked me if I was alright. He also wanted to know if I got this woman’s name because he was going to write to you as well. This gentleman said she was “completely ridiculous and rude” as I gave him her name. Two other women passengers also stated that they were going to report her also.

I have to say that I booked this flight because of the great fare I received. I now know that if your personnel are allowed to behave this way, it’s not worth the extra savings.

I, along with other passengers who I hope will write to you, believe this airline attendant should be reprimanded for her inexcusable and inappropriate customer interaction. HER NAME IS KENDRA AND WAS ON FLIGHT 2089, JUNE 2ND 2007, FROM OAKLAND TO ORANGE COUNTY.

I would appreciate a written response to this complaint and an apology letter at the very least. A partial refund for that leg of the flight would be nice. In any case, I would also appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.

Lorraine Kakazu

N  7th of Apr, 2008 by

Southwest Airlines - Rude airline personnel!
Southwest Airlines

While boarding a recent flight from Las Vegas to Burbank (3/27/08, Flight #2702) I recognized an old friend and sat down next to him in seat 3D near the front of the aircraft. During the pre-flight routine before takeoff we chatted quietly as the one of the female crew staff (Jan) was giving the required safety presentation. Halfway through her delivery she came up to me and asked me to not talk because it was disturbing her. I was totally surprised by this action for several reasons: (1) my conversation with my friend was in a low and moderate tone, and (2) three other men directly across the aisle from me were also talking to each other, as were a number of other passengers in the immediate area of the cabin. As far as I'm concerned this crew member's actions were totally out of line and uncalled for. Why she fixated on me is a total mystery, but I can assure you her actions did not go unnoticed by other passengers who looked at her and shock their heads in disbelief. Maybe "Jan" was having a bad day, may be she's just wired tight; either way if customer service is a priority with SWA I would highly recommend that they consider bringing this young lady in for some remedial training on how to handle passengers who are doing nothing more than having a conversation in their seats.
N  20th of Feb, 2009 by
I hope you were answered by Southwest. I see you didn't post the response.
N  26th of Feb, 2009 by
Did you ever consider the fact that maybe you were being rude by talking through the safety demonstration? You may not care about it, but there are people who do. First time flyers, children, and even some elderly passengers might want to hear the safety briefing instead of your conversation.
D  26th of Feb, 2009 by
Do you like being poked by a stranger? How about if you are at work? You said you are a professional middle aged woman. Shouldn't you know better than to poke someone to get their attention? That is the behavior of a child. Did it ever occur to you to simply try to get her attention verbally? Poking someone is rude, plain and simple. She called you on it and now you're embarrassed. Instead of just taking responsibility for your own actions, you are placing the blame on an innocent person who was just doing her job when you decided to assault her with your finger. I have to say that I'm not surprised that you are from Orange County, CA. The kind of behaviour that you have displayed is unfortunately quite common in that area of the country.

Southwest Airlines Logo Southwest Airlines