Southern Circulation Inc / Scam

3801 Traiana BlvdHuntsville, AL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 256-882-2116
My son had a nock on his dormroom door at the colledge he goes to and 2 young persons worked thier way into his dormroom( now mind you this dorm is locked to outsiders) and proceded to tell him he could just write them a check so they could get their points to go on some vacation. They told him he could just cancel the orders by filling out the back of his reciept and the checks would not be cashed. They told him that before they cashed the checks they would call him and also cancel the magazine scripts that way also. Well the cashed the checks the next day. Scam to the max. I called this company and spoke to some young lady who said she was the manager and that if they got the cancelation in time that he would get his money back. She said it takes 20 or so days. As I was taking to her and my son was taking to her she would finish our sentances about what they said and telling us they were not supposed to say that.
Note: Look on the website for the highers earners on it and low and behold one of the people on there is the one that knocked on my sons dormroom door: imagine that.
I am calling the Better Business today and also contacting the bank which the check was deposited to let them know of this scam. I am not sure how many other young people wrote checks to those 2 crooks that day but I am going to find out!!!!!! Class Action Lawsuit anyone???
Kr

Comments

Ti
  27th of Feb, 2008
I had the same thing happen to me. I even have it in writing that they received my cancellation and would refund my money. I went through the BBB and sadly nothing can be done. They contacted SCI, SCI replied saying they'd refund my money and that they had, indeed, gotten my cancellation. It's been over the period they said it would take. I'm down for a class action if you are. There are many other people who have the same complaint. We're not the only ones who have been screwed. I'd do anything to see these people get prison terms.
Za
  28th of Feb, 2008
Yeah, I've had the same problem with these fools. I am in the Army, however, and have casually reviewed this with a JAG officer in my unit. He says that the JAG section should be able to handle it as he realized it was a scam.
Be
  28th of Feb, 2008
Yep. Im in college, i dont have that much money- and they have totally scammed me. I never got the phone call that they promised and i mailed in the cancellation, but the check has already gone through. Im up for a law suit!
Ry
  3rd of Mar, 2008
there's another thread about this:

I've already filed a BBB report and just today a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, I suggest you do the same.
  6th of Mar, 2008
My college age daughter in Montevallo was also a victim. She really wanted to help out these nice guys and didn't see the harm in it when they said her check wouldn't be processed. I have called SouthBank where the ### bank and they had already received other calls. My next call is to the BBB.
Tr
  8th of Mar, 2008
My name is Tracy Turner. I am vice president of Southern Circulation Inc. We are not a scam company. We are a sales company. We have independent contractors who sell magazine subscriptions door-to-door. They participate in a contest to earn points for prizes. Everyone who works for us is trained in a specific way to tell the truth and not mislead our customers. However, we do have problems that arise with this and the people who do these things are reprimanded, up to and including being fired if they continue.

Kristen's son, Ian, has been issued his refund, as has Tim. I have confirmed with the publisher that Ryan's subscription order has been received and is being processed by them. I ask that Zach, Becky, Katherine, or anyone else who reads this and has a complaint, please email me directly at tracy@southerncirculation.com. I will address each one personally and do everything in my power to resolve their issues.
Ry
  11th of Mar, 2008
You could resolve my issue by giving me a refund, I don't want to be associated with a company like yours. 15 days to go.

NAME: Southern Circulation

PHONE: 256 882-2116
FAX: 256 882-1541
Jo
  7th of Apr, 2008
I may be a little late, but I've had the same problem with this company. One day around late February/early March '08 I had a knock on the door of my Baton Rouge apartment. Two girls, claiming to be doing this as part of a school project, talked their way into my living room. They then talked me into buying $210 worth of magazines, assuring me that I could cancel by filling out the form on the back and mailing it in, and thanking me for helping them earn points in class and maybe even a trip. So, I sent in the cancellation form, and assumed it was all taken care of. Then I noticed on my bank satement that the check had actually gone through! I sent the company an email (using the address provided on their website) and no one ever responded, nor did I get my money back. On top of that, I never even got my magazines! Then today (over a month later) two guys knocked on my door and asked if those girls had sold me magazine subscriptions... When I replied yes, and told them about my situation, they told me that they believe it might be a scam. I had to leave, so I told them to come back tomorrow and we could talk some more. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings. Anyway, I hope this company gets whats coming to them, and hopefully one of these days I'll get my money back!
Al
  9th of Apr, 2008
John, I also live in BR and the same 2 girls (i assume) got me as well. I did, however, hear back from the company and they claim to be sending me a refund check. I still have not received it, but i will let everyone know when i do. Also, they claim to have fired the girls too... Anyway, hopefully this all gets resolved.
Sh
  14th of Apr, 2008

Southern Circulation, Inc - SCAM!!!!!!!
Southern Circulation, Inc
Huntsville
Alabama
Phone: 1-256-882-2116

Two College students came to my door selling magazines. They said they were earing points for a college trip. Well my husband having a giving heart, purschased one for a year. We paid $52.00 on November 14, 2007, our check cleared about 2 and a half weeks later. Well today is now April 14, 2008 and we still have not got a call back. I have called this compane over 15 times. We also have never recieved the magazine. so if you read this please never buy from the company. I truly believe this is a scam and I thinks it's time we fight back.
De
  15th of Apr, 2008
My college daughter received a knock on her college dorm on Feb.27, 2008, from a girl who was from the same company. She talked my daughter into buying $112 worth of magazines, assuring her that she could cancel by filling out the form on the back and mailing it in. She wanted to help the girl earn points in class and a trip. So, my daughter sent in the cancellation form, and assumed it was all taken care of. A month went by, and I called the company on April 9, 2008. I spoke with Tracy (Turner) Hardin. Tracy told me that a 25 business day waiting period is effective before cancellations could be processed. I was told that she would look into my daughter's order for the status of it, and call my daughter. Tracy never called. I called Tracy's office for three days, no answer, and left messages. No response, no refund, and no magazines. I am reporting them to my local TV station, BBB, and Consumer Affairs office.
  24th of Apr, 2008
AMEN to that!
  24th of Apr, 2008
Amen to that sister!
Ca
  28th of Apr, 2008
I also live in Montevallo and had this company scam me. They even came on a Sat Night and pushed their way into my Apartment on Feb. 16. Then Monday happened to be a national holiday... no post office, but tuesday I went and directly mailed it from the Post Office on 2/19. The check went through my bank account on 2/20... meaning they had to put it in their account a day before! They did not wait to cash my check the allowed "3 business day" and to top it off I get a letter today (postmarked 4/25) saying that my letter was not sent in tthe allowed 3 days and to enjoy my subscriptions! This makes me furious and I want to get in on any suit possible!!! They are nothing but liars and crooks and karma will get them soon enough.
  30th of Apr, 2008
I am also having this problem. I ordered the magazine on Feb. 8, 2008, and sent the cancellation off THE NEXT DAY. After persistance of calling and calling (two straight weeks), I was told that a refund would be sent off March 20, 2008. Because I had not received it by April 1, I called back (took me a couple of days of calling to get in touch with them) and finally talked to a lady who said that it would be mailed off "next week, " which meant the week of the seventh (because their "help" was sick...). I still have not received it to this day and I have been calling two or three times a day. I am very angry and almost to the point where I am going to get lawyers involved.
Ch
  1st of May, 2008
I was also taken by this SCAM (it is in fact a scam, despite what the people that work there try to tell you). I realized what was going on within an hour of making the purchase (thanks to the internet) and THE NEXT DAY put my cancellation in the mail. I received a letter today that said that the cancellation was not postmarked within 3 business days and that the order was processed. These people ought to be ashamed for their unethical business practices. I only spent $50 (not that slight, really) but I'm going to make sure to post enough complaints on the internet and with the Better Business Bureau to make up for my loss.
Cr
  27th of May, 2008
I ordered a magazine subscription for my nephew and did not received it. I logged a complaint with BBB and the company stated that I could receive a refund. I have not received my refund and BBB has informed me that the complaint is closed. Although its only $42, I hate the fact that they are using kids to sell these magazines that are never received. If anyone is interested in a class action suit, sign me up.
Ro
  1st of Jun, 2008
I am the new landlord at 3801 Triana Blvd. and Southern Circulation's unit is empty. They appear to have vanished. They were here when I took over the property, or this site would have been in the propective-tenant review. I doubt they'll be back, but you can give up reaching them here.
Gr
  2nd of Jun, 2008
I have been lead on for the past four months about getting my refund. I filed my refund well enough in time. I called them after the required waiting period was up, but they had screwed up and put it in the wrong pile. From there on I was lied to every time that I called them. I even supposedly had the owner on the phone who said they had to fire somebody because they were stealing. Well obviously this owner was scam too. Now they are shut down their phone line is disconnected, and their website is down. .
Br
  2nd of Jun, 2008
They are in Nebraska city nebraska selling magazines and scamming up to 130 people