Southern Circulation / Scam and rip off!

1 3801 Triana Blvd. Suite 1Huntsville, AL, United States Review updated:

I purchased the 4wheelin magazines as a gift to my husband for Christmas. A young lady came to the door named Ashley, in November of 2007. She assured me that the magazines would be here right after Christmas. It is now February and I still haven't received them. I have tried calling and e-mailing and have gotten no response. I too started researching and found this website. There was a rebuttal on one of the complaints with an e-mail address to contact this person because the company is going out of business. I'm not even sure if they are affiliated and I haven't heard back from him yet.

My next step is going to be to contact the police and the Federal Trade Commission. I have heard that if they get enough complaints that they will take some action. I suggest every one who has been a victim to do the same. I am out 48.00 dollars but I plan on getting every cent back. Fight with me and call someone now so that everyone can get there money back. Apparently there are a lot of us. I just wonder how these people are managing to make it all over the US and scam so many of us and no one knows, or can do anything about it. What happened to our rights? Where are these people?

If anyone has any information please leave a comment. Thanks so much.

Va

Comments

Jo
  7th of Feb, 2008

I just had 2 20 something individuals come to my front door, trying to sell magazines for a company known as Southern Circulation Inc. The 2 acted very excited, strange, and desperate, with a story revolving around a points system and how these points would allow them to do something better with their lives. Each magazine is supposedly worth a certain amount of points which translate into the amount of money you are to pay them. I was smart enough to realize that something was not right. When questioned for identification, they had very little. They produced an "Alabama business licenses," said, "They were supposed to pickup a Georgia business license at 5:30." I told them to come back with the business license later. They responded they could not and this was about first impressions and one time deals. I did a little research and come to find out it was al a scam, using this URL as well as [redacted]s.com and the BBB. So, I drove down the street to find an elderly woman, who was on oxygen, writting a check to these ###. I quickly informed her that they were scam artist and she needed to check the BBB before buying, she agreed. I then confronted the 2 worthless human beings to retrieve my information. The 2 refused to hand it over, and proceeded to walk, calling me explicit names after ruining their scam. I, naturally, became furious and we began to fist fight. Southern Circulation has to be stopped, and everyone has to be made aware of this fraud, especially the elderly. This corporation and everyone involved are absolutely worthless and despicable. Sorry excuses for human beings, preying on the elderly, and whoever else they can sucker in. Whatever goes around, comes around.

Ia
  20th of Feb, 2008

The same thing happened to me. They came in my college dormatory where they are not supposed to be anyway. They let themselves in my dorm and I finally gave them a check so they would leave. They told me it wouldnt be cashed for 10 days and I would recieve a phone call before they did so I could cancel it. I sent the cancellation form to SCI after they left, but the checks were cashed immediately. This is a Scam and it needs to be stopped! I will be seeking legal justice.

22nd of Feb, 2008

They respond to BBB complaints, I'm currently arguing with them over getting my money back. They're still being the slimy excuses for human beings that you're used to them being, but at least with the BBB involved I have a chance... Spread the word, one look at the sorry excuse they call their website proves they're a half-### scam of a company. I've had kids show up at my door since the first time they scammed me trying to get me to buy more magazines, I call the cops every time I see them in my neighborhood (Check to see if your HOA has a "No Soliciting" Policy, if they do, you can get these little con artists arrested.

Ho
  22nd of Feb, 2008

Please send any complaints to Customerservice@southerncirculation.com. We will respond to you. In regard to the listed complaints:

Complaint 1 by Betty: Ashley should never have told you that albeit some magazines are received within 6 to 8 weeks. Our clearinghouse tells us that delivery is dictacted by isses, that being weekly, bi weekly. monthly, bi monthly etc etc. It is clearly marked on your receipt to allow 120 days for delivery, a time period that you are still within. If you do not receive your magazine within that time period then please contact us and we will make you happy.

Complaint #2 Josh Barnes:

Everything the agents told you was the truth. They receive points and can win a contest for travel. They are independant contractors. They can sell wherever they wish. They have an Alabama license as the business is located in Alabaama. They have also been provided company id's. Agents are resposible for acquiring any local permits to sell if necessary. They do sell to everyone including the ederly.

Complaint #3 Ian Hiel:

Your check is deposited immediatly in the bank. We do not hold them. It is stated on your receipt. If you read the receipt that you signed it states that refunds will be sent out 25 business days after your cancelation notice is received. Why would you write a check to get rid of someone? I know I just live in Alabama but does anyone else question that? A check is a form of payment and when you write a check it is an intent to pay, an obligation that you seem to have intent of not honoring.

Complaints #4 Ryan: yes we rspond to BBB complaints. The BB is not a government agency. They are a public sponsored organiztion that provides inforamtion. The BBB complaints that we respond to in fact do not even belong to Southern Circulation fir the most part but instead belong to a company that some of us were associated with called C&S. We feel obligated to clear all of the the C&S complaints. Slowly we are doing so. If you visit the BBB you will fine that to be so. Everyday we work on this. As far as solicitation in your neighborhood. Per the Supreme Court a govenrment body (HOA) cannot speak for all individuals in your neighborhood. Solicitaion is prefectly legal in every neighborhood in America. We do leave when asked however and do try to get proper permits. We had one to operate in your neighborhood issued by the city.

Ti
  27th of Feb, 2008

Howard... how come there are so many of these people? It must just be a coincidence huh? Or maybe it's the fact that you're screwing all of these people over. My issue is SPECIFICALLY with SCI. You told me you'd refund the money. That time has expired. You rip people off. You respond to BBB issues but you just wait for them to be closed, like mine was. However, it's in writing that you received my request for cancellation and that you'd refund my money. Well big surprise. That time has come and gone and guess what... no refund is here. I'm just glad that you're supplying us all with evidence for a class action lawsuit. The lot of people that you're screwing will enjoy seeing you pay for the money you're stealing from others. you expect us to just give up and say "Screw it, let 'em have their money. I was stupid for buying into it in the first place." But some of us have money, and see it as a matter of principle, and enjoy seeing ### people pay for the wrong they do to others. Some of us actually work for our money, and don't employ kids to run scams. That'd be hard for you to grasp though. Your business is a scam. Show me one person who has honestly gotten their magazines. Show me one person who has gotten their refund? They don't exist, but I'll show you at least 30 that you've screwed already. Oh, and phone calls do not get returned, nor do e-mails. So stop trying to pretend you're legit. If you were, I wouldn't be on here, 2 months after you stole my money.

Ho
  28th of Feb, 2008

I am glad you asked Mr Duncan. We have talked to you several times and our story has never changed. We told youthat your refund would be sent out with 25 business days frm the time that your cancelation was received. That 25 days is up on March 1st. Your claim that we have not refunded youas promised is false. Your check has been signed and will be mailed out. You should be receiving it by next week. We have told you this on the phone. We have told you tis via email. We have told youthis through the BBB. Again we have never waivered despite your constant verbal abuse. I do hope that you take the time to realize that you have been handled exactly as promised. Tim I believe you live in Huntsville. Since you are so sure of yourself, so sure that things are a scam, why dont youcome by te office and visit me. Why dont you let me show how we run our place and tell you about these kids that you think are runnung a scam. I would love to meet you person. Just call the office or email me directly and I will be glad to meet with you. I am there working every day.

3rd of Mar, 2008

Seriously? You're going to play the 'holier than thou' card? Why don't you have a single satisfied customer here backing you up if you're actually a company worth dealing with? Even by complying with your "120 day" policy I'm very convinced that I won't be receiving my magazine subscription, and now I know that I need to ensure my BBB complaint stays open until I receive my check... I'm adding this URL to the evidence supporting my case on the BBB website.

If you were a reputable company, you wouldn't have to, nor would you be here arguing with your customers. How is that going to make any of them happy?

I stand by my statement. You're a scam artist and this will come back at you one day.

3rd of Mar, 2008

Join me in posting a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

4th of Mar, 2008

From the FTC in response to my complaint... please, lets get them enough ammo to work with and take these scam artists out.

Dear Ryan:

This is in response to your recent complaint. The Federal Trade Commission acts in the public interest to prevent unfair and deceptive practices in the marketplace. Letters such as yours help us monitor activities and identify problem areas.

The Commission does not resolve individual complaints. However, the information you have provided concerning the practices of the company will be considered to determine what, if any, action should be taken by the Federal Trade Commission in the public interest.

Again, thank you for bringing your experience to our attention.

Sincerely yours,
Consumer Response Center

Mo
  29th of Apr, 2008

I was blatantly lied to by one of their agents. He weaseled me out of money, and lied about when to send in the cancellation. Regardless of the fact that the contest MIGHT be legitimate, Southern Circulation, Inc. should take responsibility for their recruits. I want my 144.00 dollars back. I plan on attempting to get in contact with Howard Brock. If I can't speak with him, he's in the white pages.

Ge
  28th of May, 2008

Two people came to my door and managed to convince me to help them in some type of contest. I ended up buying three magazines, $120.00 dollars worth. I never received any magazines. I checked in February and was told that it takes time but I should receive them soon. I have not been able to contact them sense. Get their answering machine. I don't like getting ripped off especially when it is so close to where I live. They deserve visits from everybody.

Ti
  9th of Jun, 2008

My wife and I had a gentlemen by the name of Jerry come to our house in November and con us into buying a magizine for our kids. It is now June and I still haven't seen anything. I called on a weekend and a man answered the phone assuring me my order was on the way but he answered the phone " Hello" so I knew it was a scam when he said oh I transfer the calls to my home on the weekend. I think these people are awful and justice needs to be served and I want my $52.00 dollars back!!!

Ma
  13th of Jun, 2008

Two teenagers came to our house in January 08. They gave the same story about a contest, learning to meet people, etc and selling magazines for points. I bought 1 for $46. Now it is June 08 and surprise, surprise no magazine. Checked the Southern Circulation website. It is closed down. Called the phone number (256) 882-2116 on the order form. It is disconnected. Yep I was scammed. I'll file complaint with both the FTC and BBB just for kicks. Don't expect to get the money back.

Ka
  18th of Jun, 2008

I've been scammed by this company also. I paid $46 for a subscription in March of this year, and have yet to receive a magazine. They do need to be stopped. This is ridiculous. These people have no intention of running a legitimate business. I also tried contacting the website, it's not there, and the phone # is not working either. I'll NEVER fall for this again.

Mo
  19th of Jun, 2008

I was scammed out of $52 on 10/27/07 and it is now 6/19/08, none of the phone numbers work, not even the ones listed on the BBB site, or that the kid at my door gave me.

I will be seeking restitution to the fullest extent of the law.

Da
  2nd of Jul, 2008

I live in Madison Alabama and on December 2007, I ordered 2 magazines and was to receive 1 free from an older woman claiming to be pregnant and 1 younger lady claiming to be needing points to earn a trip. I sent in a cancellation notice within the specified time frame and as of the day July 2, 2008 I have not received my refund.

Br
  6th of Jul, 2008

I was caught at home in Indaina by two young gentleman that truly could talk the talk. One signed the paperwork as John Pirozzi with a distributor code of #027. The bad thing about the order that I made is that it was for my children. My 7 year old asks everyday when her Disney magazine will be here. I was taken for $46 but for $92 because I ordered two magazine subscriptions. I will also being filing a complaint and I wil get my money back. I like everyone else, works hard for it and I have children that deserve their magazines that were ordered for them.

7th of Jul, 2008

Ack! I was scammed by these folks too! I've sent an email to the one that was listed on here...no response so far. I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Has anyone had ANY luck obtaining a refund??? I'm furious!

7th of Jul, 2008

I too was scammed of $80 in March 2008. I am just now checking to find out why I haven't received my magazines and discovered the phone # disconnected and the website "temporarily unavailable". If anyone has managed to get their money back, please e-mail and let me know. I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau.

8th of Jul, 2008

Well, I contacted the Better Business Bureau to no avail. Here is the basic gist of the email they sent in regard to my claim:

"Thank you for contacting BBB to assist you in resolving your dispute. BBB records show that this company is out of business. Either the company's mail has been returned with no forwarding order or BBB files show that the company has confirmed it is out of business. Unfortunately, this means that BBB will be unable to assist you in resolving your dispute.

If you have a different address for this company, please forward this information to our office and we will attempt to contact the company. If there is no additional information and you wish to pursue this complaint further, you may wish to contact the following agency:

United States Bankruptcy Court- Northern Division
P.O. Box 2748
Decatur, AL 35602
Phone: (256) 584-7900
Web: www.alnb.uscourts.gov"

Do we have NO recourse for this? How can this be allowed to happen? Yeash.