Southern armor roofing / questionable business practices

1 Pelham, AL, United States Review updated:

I was referred to Southern Armor (SA) by a neighbor. Their representative explained the process of acquiring a new roof at no cost since the insurance company would cover the replacement cost; SA would replace the roof at whatever amount the insurance adjuster set. You simply have to hand over both insurance checks to them. They claim they work with the insurance company on your behalf, but they don't do anything that you couldn't do yourself--contact the insurance company. They don't spend about 5 min online contacting your insurance company who in turn contacts you to set up time for the adjuster to come inspect your roof. If the adjuster approves replacement, then you'd better run for cover because SA is desperate to get their hands on that insurance check. You're going to be barraged with phone calls from SA about the insurance check on a daily basis. After notifying SA that evening that the first check arrived, they came that very night to pick it up. (By this time, albeit too late, I had read the complaints about SA posted on the internet, and was very skeptical about them) When I questioned the guy they sent to pick up the check about the reports on the internet, he told me that they were former employees of Amerfican Shingles and not affiliated w/that company. I didn't want to turn over the check and I made that clear, but I had already signed a contract and didn't want the legal wrangling with them. Also(not that I'm trying to make excuses) but they had replaced two other roofs in the neighborhood. Well, my roof was replaced. They claim the insurance adjuster miscalculated the amount of shingles for my roof and they would have to submit a supplemental claim to cover their extra expense(even though the first insurance check totaled over $5400). I doubt that they want to speak w/the insurance company about anything, and that line is probably used for every roof they replace. My roof was completed on Nov 12, and less than 1 week later, the telephone calls begin again regarding the second insurance check. When I asked if the check would be mailed to me that quickly, Scott (I believe that is his name, but I might be mistaken) told me he would email to me my adjuster's info so that I could contact him to find out when to expect that check (a little over $2600). I received his email but I declined to contact the adjuster. SA claims to work with the insurance company, but they want me to harrass the adjuster about the check and they harrass me. I was contacted by SA on a daily basis (everyday but Sunday) until that check arrived. When it arrived and I let them know, a representative showed up immediately to pick it up. I wanted to give SA the benefit of the doubt, but In my opinion, it's true what is being posted on the internet about them. I feel foolish that I didn't check them out before signing on with them, and I'm worried that if a future storm damages my roof I'll be in serious trouble because they probably won't be around (and even if they are, I expect neither quantum or quality of service) because they're interest is to collect 100% insurance checks and nothing else. Their website contains comments from "satisfied customers" writing wonderful referrals for them. What a joke!! The neighbor who referred me to SA received a call from them threatening to place a lein on her property if she didn't pay $160 outstanding balance (even though they had already collected her 2 insurance checks and had benefitted from at least 2 other roofing jobs she had referred to them) for a roofing job that wasn't supposed to cost her any out of pocket money-- remember SA claims to replace your roof for amount the insurance adjuster sets. However, in order to go to court and ask for a judgment in your favor, I think the law states that you have to have "clean" hands yourself; I think SA would probably want to stay as far away from court as possible. I expect to receive a similar phone call from SA saying I have an outstanding balance since the adjuster miscalculated the amount of shingles required for my roof. I'll keep everyone posted on that. If anyone out there is considering having their roof replaced, please don't buy into that line about the company will deal w/the insurance company because that's all it is and they are going out of their way to get you approved for a new roof, because that's just a line to suck you in and scam you of your insurance money.

Ig

More Southern armor roofing Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Af
      15th of Dec, 2010

Do not pay SA any additional money. They are only a storm-chasing sales company. They do not have any roof installers on their payroll. They contract out the labor to inferior roofers. Keep checking your attic for leaks and make them fix them before it gets so bad it damages the interior of your home. They may threaten to file a lien on your home for an unpaid balance and they can do so, but they have to also file a lawsuit within a year to perfect the lien or the filing will expire. It is too costly for them to do so call their bluff if they threaten a lien. SA was formed by one of the owners of American Shingle and most of their employees came from American Shingle. This is not a reputable company.

• 1c
      19th of Dec, 2010

Be warned if SA does not pay the sales "rep" that person can also put a lien on your home... stay far away from Southern Armor, for they are just a carbon copy of American Shingle and all the other scam roofing companies. There contracts are worthless, and they know this, take your insurance checks and find a company in your area that has been in business for a long time.

• Ju
      20th of Dec, 2010

So igaines how is the roof ?? Any issues with the roof or the install ?

As for the company calling asking for more money from the homeowner. Only if there was bad decking that had to be replaced. The company pays for any shingle shortage out of their own pocket. Only then do they file with your insurance for the money to cover the shingle shortage.

I fill that most of the posts & comments about this company are past reps that are trying to start their own company or mad because they quit and did not get paid for jobs that got installed down the road. I don’t know I may be completely wrong...

• Go
      21st of Dec, 2010

Adrian? Hank Smith? is that you? How are things at Southen Armor since you left American Shingle? Why would anyone do business with a company (Southern Armor, Alabama Roofing, etc.) that is just a SALES MANAGMENT Company. They are not a roofing company!!! There are no roofers that work directly for them. They are all SUB-CoNTRACTORS! Can you say "lowest bidder"? This type of business model is to generate SALES! There's good commissions to be made. They WILL NOT be around in the years to come to back ANY warranty they promise you. Go with the guy whos been in town for the last 10-20 years. That's your best decision.

• Go
      21st of Dec, 2010

HERE's HOW IT WORKS PEOPLE!!!...They sub-sontract the roofing installation to a local roofer; usually the lowest bidder, for a set price around $150-180 per square. They in in turn tell you they will do it for what the insurance company pays; between $190-230 per square. They put the roof on, collect the checks from the homeowner given to them from the insurance company, pay their sub-contractor his set amount and THEY KEEP THE DIFFERENCE! And for what? For calling your insurance company to file a claim for you. That's it, nothing else. Making a phone call. They send a "ladder assist" to meet with your adjuster and wait for him to either pay or deny the claim. If the claim is denyed, you are still hit up by your insurance company for filing a claim. Call a local roofer who will verify damages before filing a claim.

• Af
      21st of Dec, 2010

Do not sign any contracts with this company. Get other estimates and you will see that these sales companies take all your insurance money and then some, when a legitimate roofer will charge 1/2 to 1/3 what the sales company charges. Go with a legit roofer who has been in business for years, employs their own installers, provides proof of insurance and bonds, provides references and have no problem providing the names of their suppliers so you can check if they pay their bills or not. Save yourself some money and lots of aggravation and do not do business with the sales/ponzi scheme companies.

• Rl
      11th of Jan, 2011

Wow I wish I would of read these complaints before signing a contract with Southern Armor Roofing. They promised me to only charge me what my insurance would estimate minus my deductible. But in the end they have asked for the whole amount. Now they have turned me over to an attorney for collection which is my deductible. I have paid them every cent my insurance has given me. I sent a letter explaining what they had promised me and did not even receive a call from them. I would not recommend them and am considering to call the attorney general to file a complaint.

12th of Jan, 2011

Please file a complaint with the A.G. and the BBB. These are the same sales tactics that American Shingle used. If they are pressuring you for additional $ beyond the insurance claim, sounds like they are having cash flow problems. Not surprising considering the excessively high sales commissions and salaries. They apparently changed their name to Magic City Construction recently. The S. Armor website is gone but googling the phone number or address shows both companies' names at the same address and same phone number.

Please go to AL Secretary of State's website at www.sos.alabama.gov and look under business entities to see if any company has a state license prior to doing business with them. And for a roofing company, go with a legitimate company who has been in business in your area for at least a couple of years and can provide references from customers and vendors. A roof is the single most important component to protecting your home investment; do not use storm chasers who won't be around to service the warranty.