South Carolina State University / Lack of Order

South Carolina State University
300 College Street
Phone: 1-800-260-5956 or 803-536-7000
This school is one of the worst I have ever encountered. There is no communication between staff/departments and as a result the students suffer. How this school can continue to run is worthy of concern from the community. The entire school is in poor condition. Students are forced to reside in some of the worst dorms imaginable.

South Carolina needs to consider taking control of this school to get it back in good standing.

N  14th of Sep, 2009 by
I am a Senior attending a high school in the upstate of South Carolina. I have been browsing colleges and South Carolina State University is among my top three picks. However, reading this complaint encourages me to look more into this college. Although it is my intention to attend an HBCU, South Carolina State may not be the college for me after all. I would like to think the writer of this complaint for bringing this to my attention.

N  1st of Aug, 2010 by
dkland1980@yahoo.com wrote:
I attended SCSU in 98 and again in 2002. I am now attending Coastal Carolina Univ. and LOVE IT!! While at SCSU it was a hassle trying to get my paper work completed, as they kept sending me from one person to the next. In doing this, I learned the entire campus within 2 of hours of being there because the admin is not all in one building. I was told to hold on to every document I recv'd and to this day I have them. The writer is right in that the dorms are crappy, the food is disgusting (you would think black southern people could throw down in the kitchen), there is NO parking, and ALOT of admin have attitudes out the a$$.
On the other hand, once u make it through all the muck and mire, the Professors will work with the student(s) if they show that they need help...i.e you go to him/her during office hours and you attempt to do all of your assignments on time, the cost is reasonable (u get what u pay for), and they offer second chances to people who did not do so well in highschool to redeem themselves versus them having to go to a vocational/technical school to up their grades. This school will work with you!!
Claflin is about the same...but u pay much more for the trouble.!!! You'll do better off by paying less and going to USC-Columbia.
So far as the all black experience, which I was looking for since I went to a majority white highschool, was HORRIBLE!! I had horrible room-mates (the first time I went there) and came to realize that some black females can be the meanest heiffers on this planet for no reason. If I could do it again...I would have pushed and stuck it through b/c over half those mean heiffers that I started with didn't finish anyway.