Sony Vaio Vgn - Sz220 / Fragile products coupled with horrendous customer service!

I am just writing with regards to a Sony VGN-SZ220 laptop that I had sent in to Sony for repairs. Though my computer was still under warranty, I was notified by Sony after several days of sending the laptop in, that I needed to pay about $170 for some 'cosmetics damages'. I was infuriated. Firstly, I had detached the wireless antenna in fear of it being accidentally broken during the repair. Otherwise, I had sent in the unit in perfect working conditions. I did not understand how come I suddenly had cosmetics damages with the batteries. I figured it was just a way of them making additional profit. I called them, reprimanded them sternly about the 'cosmetics damages' that they were going to charge me on, and insisted that they drop all those redundant charges. I am expecting to have my Sony laptop back with me with in two days, and I am expecting more troubles with Sony.

One final word for those who wants to buy Sony : Sony might seem to be the Gucci of computers, and true, their products works well. But it is one heck of fragile products, coupled with horrendous customer service and repair representatives. I'd stay away from Sony for these reasons.

N  18th of Jun, 2008 by
I bought a Sony Vaio-VGNAR61S . from you A sony center, the webcam was now working from the outset, the drive stopped working within a month. The shop could not fix it, and niether did tech support on the phone resolve the issue.

The shop refussed a refund, and refused to replace it. It is sony center's policy not to refund or replace faulty laptops they sell you.

I had to pay previously paid £130 for windows vista ultimate upgrade, only to find the CD drive did not work. I also purchased previously other software like antivirus online subscriptions so am loosing more money.

I also purchased an external hard disc at £100 to backup the HD because the blueray disc did not work. Sony Center refused to reimburse all cost, am seeking legal advise. This is the store in Crawley, beware.