Sony India P Ltd / Handycam(Camcoder) / Product failure
own a SONY Handicam (Digital Camcoder ,DCR HC21E ) which was purchased one year ago.However, I have used this camera only less than 5 hours so far for recording video. I confronted with a problem when I tried to download the content of the tape(cassette)into my computer using USB cable as per the instruction provided in the user's manual. After downloading a part of the content my computer got hung and stopped responding. When I restarted the system, I found that my system was not detecting the Handycam. My computer is powered by a Pentium 4 with Widows XP operating system. This was the first time I tried using this feature ( content transfer from Tape to the computer)of the product. I approached I the nearest Authorized Sony service centre with the camera and after inspecting the equipment, they informed me that some parts had to be replaced to rectify the problem which would cost me more than Rs. 5000 minimum .but, there is no warranty for the replaced components! Moreover, the exact reason for failure is not known to the technicians ! I am very much disappointed with this type of product failure that too ,in the first instance of using a key product feature. These is no warning or precaution in the manual about this kind of susceptibility of product failure to alert the user.
Now , I really have doubts about the reliability of Sony s latest products , especially with Camcoders. Is the technology used in Sony Camcoder prone to failures like this? Why a core feature of the product ( transferring the content of the tape to a computer through USB cable) that is expected to be used very often fails like this? Have your R& D team or other customers ever confronted this problem? What should I have done to prevent this problem under normal circumstances?
Sony India customer care team and the people at the local service centre did not give me a proper and convincing answer as to why my instrument failed under normal conditions.Even after thorough examination they gave me only a few possibilities and probable causes for product failure which are ruled out beyond doubt in my case.. I still feel that company has the accountability to their customers who relied on their products ,to ensure that they have offered them a trouble free and durable product. Since my experience with both local service centre and Customer support team are not satisfactory .
Given below is the response that response that I received from the customer support to my query. They didn't even honour the customer's right to get information about the product!
Dear Mr.Binu Zachariah,
Greetings from Sony India Customer Care Team
This is in continuation to your mail, please note in my earlier mail dated 20/02/07, I have given you to probable causes for the camera failure. I am highlighting the same below for your information once again. " we wish to clarify to you, that only probable causes for failure of electronic products can be highlighted, as the performance of the product relies on external sources such as A/C voltage/ cassettes/PC/ environment/ usage etc.
The service center provides the repair and solution for the products.
We appreciate your feedback and the same will forwarded to the concerned department as customer feedback and information."
Kindly note the case stands closed from our end, if you do wish to repair the camera, please send a written approval for the same and the repairs will be carried out on chargeable basis.
We solicit your understanding to the matter.
Customer Care Center
Sony India P Ltd
Sony India Toll Free Phone Number : [protected]
Wish to view Sony India products please visit www.sonyindia.co.in
From: Binu T Zachariah
Date: Monday, February 26, 2007 01:11 PM
To: SonyMarketing (firstname.lastname@example.org); email@example.com (firstname.lastname@example.org);
Could you please answer to following questions of mine since I am not convinced with your response.
1. What is reverse voltage?
2.How does it happen?
3. How does it affect a camera in the particular situation specified in my case?
4.What part /Component in the camera is affected?
5. What causes reverse voltage being passed to the camera from the computer ?
6. What is the magnitude of the voltage?
7. Does this happen in normal circumstances?
8. What should I have done to guard against such a problem from happening under normal circumstances?
9. Is Sony Camera not protected against such a complaint?
10. Why didn't you mention such a possibility the in the manual to alert the customers?
11. How do you know it very clearly that the problem happened due to reveres voltage from my system with out checking computer?
12. Why didn't your service person inform me that the problem happened due to reverse Voltage problem from my computer after the examination of the instrument.?
I hope, the answers to these questions might help me get convinced.
More Sony India P Ltd / Handycam(Camcoder) Complaints & Reviews
- Sony Ericsson Service Center - Cheating and torturing customers! 
- Sony ericsson promo - lucky number 
- Sony/Bravia KDL40S4100 tv - defective product 
- Sony Playstation 3 (Ps3) 60gb (Pal) - Faulty Product/Horrible Customer Care 
- Sony TV KDF-60XBR950 - Sony TV Optical Block 
- Sony Corporation - online aspect
- Sony Corporation - sony 65 xbr
- Sony Corporation - capital one sony credit card offer false advertising
- Sony Corporation - remote control
- Sony Corporation - Sony India - damage of the tv panel during servicing at the service centre