Sony India P Ltd / Handycam(Camcoder) / Product failure

1 India Review updated:

own a SONY Handicam (Digital Camcoder ,DCR HC21E ) which was purchased one year ago.However, I have used this camera only less than 5 hours so far for recording video. I confronted with a problem when I tried to download the content of the tape(cassette)into my computer using USB cable as per the instruction provided in the user's manual. After downloading a part of the content my computer got hung and stopped responding. When I restarted the system, I found that my system was not detecting the Handycam. My computer is powered by a Pentium 4 with Widows XP operating system. This was the first time I tried using this feature ( content transfer from Tape to the computer)of the product. I approached I the nearest Authorized Sony service centre with the camera and after inspecting the equipment, they informed me that some parts had to be replaced to rectify the problem which would cost me more than Rs. 5000 minimum .but, there is no warranty for the replaced components! Moreover, the exact reason for failure is not known to the technicians ! I am very much disappointed with this type of product failure that too ,in the first instance of using a key product feature. These is no warning or precaution in the manual about this kind of susceptibility of product failure to alert the user.

Now , I really have doubts about the reliability of Sony s latest products , especially with Camcoders. Is the technology used in Sony Camcoder prone to failures like this? Why a core feature of the product ( transferring the content of the tape to a computer through USB cable) that is expected to be used very often fails like this? Have your R& D team or other customers ever confronted this problem? What should I have done to prevent this problem under normal circumstances?

Sony India customer care team and the people at the local service centre did not give me a proper and convincing answer as to why my instrument failed under normal conditions.Even after thorough examination they gave me only a few possibilities and probable causes for product failure which are ruled out beyond doubt in my case.. I still feel that company has the accountability to their customers who relied on their products ,to ensure that they have offered them a trouble free and durable product. Since my experience with both local service centre and Customer support team are not satisfactory .

Given below is the response that response that I received from the customer support to my query. They didn't even honour the customer's right to get information about the product!

Dear Mr.Binu Zachariah,
Good Day
Greetings from Sony India Customer Care Team

This is in continuation to your mail, please note in my earlier mail dated 20/02/07, I have given you to probable causes for the camera failure. I am highlighting the same below for your information once again. " we wish to clarify to you, that only probable causes for failure of electronic products can be highlighted, as the performance of the product relies on external sources such as A/C voltage/ cassettes/PC/ environment/ usage etc.

The service center provides the repair and solution for the products.

We appreciate your feedback and the same will forwarded to the concerned department as customer feedback and information."

Kindly note the case stands closed from our end, if you do wish to repair the camera, please send a written approval for the same and the repairs will be carried out on chargeable basis.

We solicit your understanding to the matter.

Warm Regards

Wish to view Sony India products please visit www.sonyindia.co.in

-----Original Message-----
From: Binu T Zachariah
Date: Monday, February 26, 2007 01:11 PM
To: SonyMarketing (mktginfo@ap.sony.com); sonyindia.care@ap.sony.com (sonyindia.care@ap.sony.com);

Dear (Name)

Could you please answer to following questions of mine since I am not convinced with your response.

1. What is reverse voltage?
2.How does it happen?
3. How does it affect a camera in the particular situation specified in my case?
4.What part /Component in the camera is affected?
5. What causes reverse voltage being passed to the camera from the computer ?
6. What is the magnitude of the voltage?
7. Does this happen in normal circumstances?
8. What should I have done to guard against such a problem from happening under normal circumstances?
9. Is Sony Camera not protected against such a complaint?
10. Why didn't you mention such a possibility the in the manual to alert the customers?
11. How do you know it very clearly that the problem happened due to reveres voltage from my system with out checking computer?
12. Why didn't your service person inform me that the problem happened due to reverse Voltage problem from my computer after the examination of the instrument.?

I hope, the answers to these questions might help me get convinced.

Regards

Binu

Comments

• Sr
      18th of Sep, 2007

is good

• Ha
      30th of Oct, 2007

I HAD PURCHASED SONY HANDY CAM DL-HL38 C FROM NAGERCOIL AS PER MY PRACTICE THIS HANYCAM NOT READING TAPE FOR DUO CORE LAPTOP OR COMPUTER SO WHAT SOFTWARE IS TO BE IN STALLED? I HAD INSTALLED THE SUPPLIED CD ALONG WITH MY CAMERA NAMED PICTURE BROWSER BUT IT IS NOT DETECTING THE TAPE.

• Su
      13th of Nov, 2007

Please do not buy any sony product. They are very costly and yet they are not durable!

• Ra
      20th of Nov, 2007

Why is it not responded for the questions of Binu. Pls clarify as the product bought is very expensive.

• Go
      8th of Dec, 2007

This is the problem with these products and company's. If everything is smooth, they will take the credit of the quality of product. If some thing fails, then it is the problem with handling etc etc. Ultimately we consumers are sufferers. what to do. Take up with appropriate authorities, but dont compromise with your principles.

All the best!

19th of Dec, 2007

I have a Digital-8(NTSC)DCR-TRV280 handy cam, purchased on Jan,2006 from USA.
    Recently I am facing few problems with it. The problems are-
    1) The cassette is not ejecting.
    2) When I want to start recording/play the cassette , "Reinsert the cassette" is showing in the display.

In the manual I could not see any troubleshooting about the problem "Reinsert the cassette". So, I want to know the troubleshooting of this problem

5th of Mar, 2008

not exactly a complaint. I would like to my sony cyber-shot camera, its originality?

29th of May, 2008

dear sir i have trv 285 i am unable to make cd from cassatte, why it's occure ?

• Vs
      17th of Jul, 2008

Some months ago I contacted Sony Service Cenre at Chennai for repairing the malfunctions in my Sony 828 Camera. The service centre people had contacted over phone and said that the camera was dropped and damaged and for changing the alignment they gave an estimate of over 17thousand. The camera is alright in vedio and the defect is in manufacture and malfunction accurred in normal usage. I told them that it is only malfunction.They did not know the defect but stick on their stand. I made a complaint to the Sony India and they also insisted to pay a reduced amout of about ten thousand for repair.
    It is not guarenteed even after the repair the camera will function properly or not. Sony in India did not proper technical person to service their high end products but try to earn from the repair of their own defective products. The service centre in various parts in India is a waste and they try to grab as much as possible from the defective sony products after the expiry of the warrenty perod. Sony high end Digital Cameras are a waste
    and insted of repairing them in Indian Service centre one can purchase a new one from Fuji or Nikon. Sony can be rightly called SORRY!

• Vi
      1st of Aug, 2008

Hello Sony world
    I am planning to buy a sony digital camera of DSCH50 Module, The price is given in the web site saying that $365 But when i checked with the sony world in india in bangaloe they were telling that RS -1990 (Comes around $451) Such a big difference in price,
    I request the sony world to update their web site regularly. Stop mis guiding to the customers
    I can understand there mightbe some differnce in price but not this much

With Regards

Vijaykumar Munnoli

18th of Aug, 2008

dEAR SIR, I HV PURCHASED SONY VCD/TAPE MUSIC SYSTEM SOME 2YRS BACK, BUT SORRY TO SAY THAT I'M NOT GETTING PROPER SERVICE, WHEN I CALLUP TO YR GHAZIABAD SERVICE CENTRES. IS THIS THE WAY TO WORK A CO.LIKE 'SONY' IN INDIA & PROVIDING SUCH INEFFICIENY TO THEIR REGULAR CUSTOMERS???
    PLS REVERTT BACK WITH REMEDY ASAP.

RGDS
    SALIL SRIVASTAVA
    CELL-9868806906

• Fa
      7th of Oct, 2008

hellow sony

i wish to know the details of service franchisees in kerala india .i am having an handycam it's not working properly. to rejister a complaint we need contact address of kochin service centre kerala, india.

with regards

faizal
    ph:09895457550

• Ra
      27th of Nov, 2008

Pl.guide me to down load driver software of DCR-TRV22E compatible toVISTA home premium.
    regards

• Pr
      10th of Dec, 2008

SIR,

I PURCHASED ONE "SONY CYBER SHOT" ON 25th NOV 2008 FROM SAROJINI NAGAR MARKET NEW DELHI.

MODEL NO DSC-H50 DISITAL STILL CAMERA

I LOST THE WARRANTY CARD OF THE SAME . HOW CAN I GET A NEW WARRENTY CARD ? PLEASE GUIDE ME

THANKS

• Pr
      11th of Dec, 2008

Plese help me to get a new warrenty card for DSC-H50 Disitial Camera.
    with regards
    prasanta

• Da
      29th of Jan, 2009

It is quiet disgusting to get such a bad response from company like sony towards their consumer. I will think twice before buy any sony product and resist my friends and relatives to do so.

• Ha
      7th of Aug, 2009

Dear all, toll free no of Sony India is now changed, you can register all your complaints at new Toll Free no - 1800-103-7799 or email at sonyindia.care@ap.sony.com
    For more details please visit : www.sony.co.in

• Gc
      13th of Aug, 2011

Dear sir,
    subject: complain regarding the handycam perchased at flemingo duty free shop pv chennai airport arrival

I have requested the sales girl at above center on 11 august 2011 around 10:40 pm to provied sony handy cam with the feature having high defination and camera megafhil 3.30 lenc.In spite of my specific requst, the sales girl at the adove office,
    missguided me and given the model - DCR-SX45E baring no 1742495 and billed me vide no CHN001P002111405 dated 11 august 2011 for us dollar 315 and deliver to me by missguideing the features . With the good faith and the companys repuptation, I have purchased the peice and came back to my native place i.e Mandya(Karnataka State)
    On enquiery with custamer care center vide toll free no 18001037799 the handycam which is given to me is the basic model only and having camera lence megafile 0.20 without high defination Hence, I am logdeing a complaint against the adove dealer for not provideing the requiered. Please make an enquier with the dealer and provied me the requiered pice .
    Thanking you in anticipation of your early response.
    place: MANDYA yours faithfully

KARNATAKA STATE
    mobile no-9448422043
    land line-231199

4th of Jul, 2012

baught dcr-hc54e vid cam failed to download rec vid to pc/laptop. do not buy anything with download failure. i'm deceived