Solo Mobiletermination of contract/service

1 Review updated:

I HAD A3 YEAR CONTRACT WITH SOLO MOBILE WHICH CAME INTO FRUITION ON DEC. 17 2010. 1 CALLED SOLO ON THE 15 OF DEC TO FIND OUT WHAT MY REMAINING BALANCE WAS SO I COULD PAY IT AND TOLD THEM THAT MY CONTRACT EXPIRES ON THE 17TH. I WAS TOLD I WOULD HAVE TO PAY 138.00 FOR THAT INFORMATION. I ASSUMED THAT MY SERVICE WOULD END ON THE 17TH BUT TODAY IS JAN 2 2011 AND SOLO STILL HAS NOT DISCONECTED MY SERVICE. I CALLED THEM AGAIN ON THE 20TH OF DEC. TO FIND OUT WHY THEY HAD NOT STOPPED MY SERVICE AND WAS TOLD THAT IT DOES'T MATTER THAT I HAD A CONTRACT; ONCE THAT CONTRACT IS FINISHED THEY START CHARGING ON A MONTH TO MONTH BASIS (AT A HIGHER RATE). THEY TOLD ME THEY WHERE GOING TO SEND ME A BILL FOR JAN 2011 (FORWARD BILLING WHICH IS ILLIGAL) BECAUSE I DID NOT GIVE THEM A MONTHS NOTICE THAT MY CONTRACT WAS ABOUT TO EXPIRE. I CHECKED MY CONTRACT AND IT SAYS NOTHING ABOUT ME HAVING TO GIVE AMONTHS NOTICE THAT MY CONTRACT IS ENDING (SHOULD'NT SOLO BE AWARE WHO HAS CONTRACTS AND WHICH ONES ARE ABOUT TO END?). SOLO HAS THREATENED ME WITH A COLLECTION AGENCY IF I DON'T PAY THE JAN. BILL . I TOLD SOLO TO SEND ME AS MANY BILLS AS THEY LIKE BUT THEY ARE NOT GETTING ANOTHER CENT OUT OF ME. I ALREADY HAVE ANOTHER CARRIER AND HAVE'NT USED SOLOS SERVICE SINCE THE END OF NOV.2010 I AM MORE THAN WILLING TO GO TO COURT WITH SOLO OVER THIS. IAM ALSO FORWARDING A COPY OF THIS COMPLAINT TO MY OMBUDSMAN.

Comments

• Th
      Jan 09, 2011

We are in the same boat as you! Only we DID call and cancel in November and we are still getting bills. Also a collection agency calls us 3 times a day, everyday to collect on this bill. We have called Solo several times, each time they say we have to pay for one more month (30 days from day of cancellation). Even though they can see that on Nov. 17th we did cancel they say we have to cancel again!! How stupid is that!

I will be willing to be, they aren't going to cancel this time either, even though it's the 3rd time! We now get everyone we talk to, their name and employee number. Maybe we should start posting them here!

• Wa
      Mar 04, 2011

The same thing has happened to me except they've turned off my service and are charging full fees PLUS reactivation fees EVERY month. I don't know what to do except go to a lawyer. Has anyone out there ever had this issue resolved and how did you do it? Wanda Davies

• Wa
      Mar 04, 2011

Theresa, Diane: would you be interested in sending your problem to a lawyer with me? Also, I was going to start a Facebook and Twitter account to publicize the disrespect Solo shows their customers. Any ideas on how we could work togethr so they'll pay attention to us? Wanda Davies

• Or
      Mar 17, 2011

I had my phone disconnected last december which took about 2 hours talking with different people from India. I sent them the final amount and then 2 months later I get this huge bill. I call them and they said the phone was never disconnected in their system????????????? so after another 2-3 hours on my Bell cell phone I finally had my account fixed and they said that I owed them nothing and disregard all the charges that they were billing me for. Now I just received another bill for $45.86 and if it is not paid it is going to collection and civil legal action may also be taken. I am so angry with this company...not sure what to do?

• Ap
      May 17, 2011

My husband signed up for a phone for our son. They required a $100.00 deposit on the account. They then charged us $100.00 for previous months service charges and full fees for they two days prior to billing cycle that they chose. We paid the amount when we recieved the cell bill. They turned off the phone and say the phone had over $125.00 worth of charges on the account, but have not produced the may bill yet for us to see. It is a $25.00 per month plan for texting. Anyone had this problem?

Dec 11, 2011

To the people with complaints about their telcom providers in Canada that you cannot resolve, confirm your provider is a member (Solo is) then lodge a complaint with the CCTS – Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunication Services http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/
    You'll be amazed how nicely they treat you after your complaint is filed.
    BTW, most of the providers I'm aware of have this policy...30 day notice. Don't mess with them, put it in writing via fax...ask them for the fax number for their executive offices and you'll likely get satisfaction without going to CCTS.

Mar 25, 2012

Would like to know if anybody has had success with taking Solo to court or perhaps filing a major complaint and winning. Just wondering how you did it.

• Me
      Jun 12, 2013

Solo has been a nightmare for me. Five years ago we signed up my daughter via Costco kiosk for an all inclusive texting plan. The rep did not enter the plan correctly in the computer so we received a $4, 000.00 bill. No one at the Bell offices could help and referred me back to kiosk. The actual rep admitted the error and said he would correct it. After that I just had a "credit" with them that no one could do anything about. I was forced to use up the credit (had a 3 yr. term anyway) but they started billing me again before I collected my full refund. I threatened to picket the Costco kiosk along with others who had been ripped off and then no access to customer service. They turned it over to a collection service that dropped it after one conversation with me. Now two years later some collection agency EOS has started harassing me again. I can't believe the nightmare these people have caused me over THEIR FRAUDULENT PRACTICES. Am I going to be dealing with this until the end of my days??? My blood pressure goes up every time I think of the insanity of it all. I would love to see someone step in and stop this fraud and harassment. Where are the laws in Canada to protect the consumer??? Why hasn't this company been shut down after all the complaints? If I stole money from someone I would be charged so why are these crooks allowed to do it on a mass scale??? I'm filing with the CCTS for what is worth and next and with all the time and effort I'm putting into this I may as well check with a lawyer. I think pain and suffering could apply here.

• Vl
      Nov 07, 2014

I'm almost relieved to see all these complaints against Solo. They made me feel like I'm the only person who has experienced all the problems having a phone through them. My issue started 3 years ago, lots of added charges, etc.. Tried to deal with it then only to get the run around. Canceled but months later, still having bills accumulate. They said I never canceled. Final straw, my last bill jumped to 3 times the first amount. Again on phone with numerous people and they wouldn't budge so I thought the hell with it, I'm not paying a dime until we get this settled. 3 years later (2014) I call and again, talked to 6 different people who say someone will call me and wait 2 weeks. Nobody calls! Call today, talk an hour of the phone before reaching the right person who is not willing to budge on the amount, saying too much time has passed???? Seriously, I tried 3 years ago when it first happened. I was willing to pay more than half, just to get rid of it but they are not willing! Any help would be appreciated, just too much energy spent on the worse company ever!!!