SofaMart / horrible sofas

1 Marion, IA, United States Review updated:

I bought the New Yorker sofa from the Marion, IA, store on 7/7/2007 ($677.76 total). After a few months of use, the cushions began to break down to the point that the couch was impossible to sit on comfortably. It looked years old, and I was not satisfied with the quality of the purchase. The cushions were so broken down after a few months that sitting on the couch meant sitting on the support bars under the cushions. My butt would go to sleep in minutes. After 6 months of negotiations with the store managers and an unsatisfactory cushion replacement, I was able to swap the couch with the Riley sofa on 6/20/2008, with me paying the difference between the sofa costs, and arranging my own transport of the couches ($107.06). I even offered to PAY them to deliver it, but they wouldn't have it. They just handed me a phonebook to look for UHaul. Beginning in October 2008, the cushions in the Riley couch were breaking down so that it too looks years old and is uncomfortable. More of my butt hitting the support beams! After the hassle I went through with the other couch, I was willing to live with this development. But now, the upholstery seams are ripping (on their own; no misuse on my part) on the edges of the bottom cushions and on a throw pillow. One cushion has 2 seams that have ripped apart nearly the whole length of the cushion. How crappy does a product have to be for the THROW PILLOWS to rip themselves to shreds?

When the first couch broke down within months, I wanted a refund. When that didn't seem to be a possibility, I settled for a replacement couch. Now this couch is not only breaking down, but is literally tearing to shreds from the basic, daily use of 2 adults. This is completely unacceptable.

Today I sent a request for a full refund of all money spent on defective merchandise ($677.76 +$107.06). I'm not sure if I'll hear back, and I'm sick of dealing with the local store managers. At this point, I'd like to dump the couch on the front lawn of the store.

Bottom line: Don't ever buy furniture here! Pay a little more for something else.

Comments

13th of Dec, 2008

please take these people to small claims court I am they should not get away with what they are selling at the store

• Li
      4th of Mar, 2009

I couldn't agree more- my experience with SofaMart was less than ideal AND I purchased the Riley sofa which came apart after a few months. They replaced the cushions (took 10 weeks to do) and after only TWO months of use (normal use by adults- nothing abusive) these cushions are showing signs of wear! We're interested in getting an entire living room set. Instead of purchasing the crappy matching loveseat, we're going to be forced to sell this couch and buy something that is not made by Riley nor sold at SofaMart. Don't waste your money!

• Te
      28th of Dec, 2009
    SofaMart - Bad service
    SofaMart

Ordered a couch and loveseat, supposed to be here before Xmas. Called, they have no idea what is going on. Charged our card on the 2nd, earliest they can deliver the items is the 15th of January. Of course its the manufacturer's fault. I would rather pay a little more and have good service. Never go there again. If I wouldn't of called they would have left me hanging as they did not know the manufacturer had problems filling the orders. We have to prepay and then they get to use our money for 2 months until they buy from the manufacturer, they can keep the couch. I had no problems when I asked for a complete refund. Of course I haven't seen the credit yet...

• Ir
      7th of Feb, 2011
    SofaMart - Terrible customer service
    SofaMart

I bought a 2-piece couch from Sofa Mart last year. While at least the furniture has held up trying to purchase it was a nightmare. I was told several different stories about the warranty and how long their sales lasted. When I called them on it they did nothing but insult me and told me to leave the store. They didn't want me as a customer. I was prepared to get a refund but they then said they didn't have enough cash in the store for my refund. Against my better judgement I decided to go ahead with the transaction since they had a large amount of my money. I was told at the time my furniture was in stock, which was not the truth. I waited 3 1/2 weeks for my delivery and had to keep calling and reminding them. Their staff is some of the worst I have ever encountered and I will NEVER SHOP THERE AGAIN. Wish I had seen this site before stepping foot in Sofa Mart. Buyer be warned!

• Ha
      9th of Feb, 2011
    SofaMart - Still Waiting: Haven't recieved purchased item
    SofaMart

On January 20, 2011, I purchased a recliner from Sofamart. I was told that they did not have it in stock and that it was have to ordered. I was told it would take four days to get here. I called after eight days and they told me that it was still on it's way. It is now eleven days and still not here. I am so close to going to the showroom and taking the one off the floor. They took my money immediately but cannot give you your purchase on time. Shame on them! I wish I had seen this before I purchased from them.