Socal Lighting AKA So Cal Lighting AKA Sunrise Lights / Deceptive Advertising Bad Service Bad products

1 9349 MELVIN AVE. #1Northridge, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: (877)762-2515

Buyer Beware of SO CAL Lighting. We purchased several items from SoCal Lighting April 2009 and will never buy from them again. My goal in life now is to expose them publicly. The depiction they represent is far from honest. My order was missing items and the items that did arrive were not USA made as advertised. And they would not take my claim on the phone or Email!
This is how So Cal Lights replied to me in their emails: “YOU SOUND LIKE YOUR TRYING TO STEAL FROM US". And because I stopped taking their calls (as I was tired of the insults) they also emailed me: “ YOUR NOT A MAN…BE A MAN PICK UP OUR CALLS" Below is a break down of the events.

Length of Time—3 weeks for 6 light fixtures;
Order was placed on April 15th 2009 early AM. I received it May 1st 2009! That's 16 days after I placed the order and they are located only 4 hours away from me.
After I did a Google earth I realized that Socal Lights is nothing but a small rented office with a warehouse not much larger than a 2 car garage. They are not a factory or large corporation, a far cry from how they represent themselves on their web site. They obviously drop ship 99.9% of the items posted on their site.

Misleading and False advertising on Socal Lights Web site:
They have a USA flag on the top of many of their web pages to help their deception. And on their web site the clearly note that ALL of their brass and copper items are USA made. Well the items I received were brass and copper and they were NOT USA made. When I noted this in my email/claim, the reply was “your right and we should change that to MOST of our items are USA made". I replied that would not be acceptable or honest as the word “most" does NOT tell the public “WHICH" specific items are USA made.

They even tried to old bait and switch on me when I told them I wanted to return the NON USA made lights, by offering me a fixture at almost TRIPLE the cost and they assured me that one would be USA made! The nerve!
They also post that they are #rated by some contractors digest. Well I checked this out and found no such place exists to provide a rating. And the BBB (better business bureau) verified this as well (see below).
They also display a large banner making you believe they have 20 years experience.

They have only been open since April 2004! And based on the BBB records and after speaking with Mr. Mitchell (the president of the BBB southern California branch) we concluded that there is no way that any one at So Cal could have 20 years experience.

The Better Business Bureau When I checked out SoCal Lighting with the BBB I noted that not only was BBB after them but so were several other government agencies. And the BBB provides the real information on ownership. So Cal lights web site posts phony owners name. The BBB also identified them under two company names. Apparently they are also a company called Sunrise Lights which has an established bad reputation. Hence the attempted name change to Socal. But the BBB caught that and exposed that as well.

Here is what the BBB also notes about So Cal Lighting:
“On March 27, 2009, we wrote to this company asking them to substantiate their claim that they are rated number one. We are requesting the company to provide the specific publication where they bestowed this rating on him, provide the circulation of the publication, and explain in detail the criteria that was used to designate his company as number one. We asked the company to contact our office within the next ten days. The company responded to our request by stating they will provide a copy of the publication in May 2009. We will await the publication. This company is not a member of the Better Business Bureau. The company continues to misuse the Bureau's name and/or logo improperly and without permission. The company has been notified to remove all references to the Better Business Bureau's name, logo, and/or initials."

They would NOT take our claim on the phone or via email:
When we purchased no where did it say should we have a claim we would need a fax. And since we did NOT need a fax when we bought it only makes sense that we would NOT need one if we had a claim. When I explained that I did not have a fax, the unidentified person who refused to give his or her name replied that's our policy. They would NOT even take my claim VIA email! When I debated that the fax policy was not posted when I bought the person that wanted to remain anonymous at Socal lighting replied I will see what I can do. Of course they NEVER replied again, EXCEPT by telling me I am a liar and not a man.

Comments

• Mi
      20th of May, 2009

THIS CUSTOMER BOUGHT TWO FIXTURES THAT HE SAID WERE NOT MADE IN THE USA WE HAVE OFFERED HIM A FULL REFUND WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO WE HAVE A PROCESS HERE IF HE CANT FAX THE PACKING SLIP THAN FINE WE WILL GIVE A FULL REFUND WE WISH WE NEVER SOLD HIM ANYTHING IT WAS NOT WORTH SELLING HIM THE ORDER REALLY WAY MORE TROUBLE THAN IT WAS WORTH BUT I GUESS YOU CANT WIN THEM ALL

5490-3553-3163-9470-12/10
    HERE IS HIS CC# AND EXP DATE AND THE TOTAL TO PROVE WE ARE WILLING TO CREDIT HIM BACK TOTAL 258.27

21st of May, 2009

Why am I surprised that so cal lighting is so ignorant and evil that they would post my credit card number on line with expiration date! I have already canceled my card and will be reporting them to their merhcant service. As it is they cant accept American Express for obvious reasons.

Now as for my reply to their reply:
    So Cal Lights AKA Sunrise Lighting AKA Socal are LYING AGAIN, the nerve!

I will make this simple:

1. We were never offered a refund
    2. I can prove everything I have written in my claim
    3. I will provide ANYONE copies of all written correspondence between me and Socal Lighting
    4. Notice that Socal Lights/Sunrise Lights never apologizes
    5. Notice how Socal Lights/Sunrise Lights never denies certain issues I noted
    6. Go to the Better Business Bureau's (the BBB) web site and see for your self the bad deeds of Socal Lighting AKA Sunrise Lights. Now Socal Lights I have a question for you: Are you going to call the BBB and ALL the consumers that filed claims with the BBB liars as well?

Again if anyone wants to see their emails to prove my end please simply rebut here with your email and I will gladly send them to you. You will be shocked at what socal AKA sunrise lighting sent me in writing!

In summary:
    I highly and strongly suggest NO ONE BUY FROM SOCAL LIGHTING AKA SUNRISE LIGHTS AKA THE LIGHTING COMPANY FROM HELL!

25th of May, 2009

Here is an email I just received from So Cal Lights:

from socal lighting
    to jim coleman
    date Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    subject: Order Number: 27286

Man you look like a pedafile your a weird person look at your miserable life that you have to lie and steal wow what a loser i am going to sue you for all you comments that are false we shipped you a full package and also tried to tell you how to submit your claim our terms and conditions state everything you have defamed us and lied and trust me i can afford to ruin your life i dont just write emails and go to public forums like a little girl be a man you might enjoy it you little wimp gaureented you got beat up alot as a kid its easy to tell very easy just because you got picked on all your life dont take out on others loser!!
    So Cal Lighting
    End of most recent email from SoCal Lighting

This is what you get folks should you even think of filing a claim with So Cal Lights in Northridge California! They are just plain old terrorist!

• Sh
      5th of Jun, 2009

After reading what "both" of you have written I don't have a positive impression of either of either side. How am I to know what to believe with all the trash talk. Both of you need to step back and get a better perspective on the situation. Wow two hot heads don't find resolution easy, do they? Maybe you both should read http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus03.shtm and then put your best foot forward and follow your gut in a constructive manner.

• Ad
      9th of Jun, 2009

I wish I had seen this before. These guys are a mickey mouse operation and I encourage anyone to think twice before ordering from them. They have a great website, but there customer service consists of "so what, what do you want me to do about it." They charged my credit card and then did not ship my stuff or send a confirmation. When I called to question them they told me that it was going to be sent in two days. Why I did not get a call back or an email with some kind of confirmation I don't know. I also visited there ghetto super sketchy offices in Chatsworth. These guys are not as bad as the companies on the web that don't send you your products at all, but they are certainly a bottom of the barrel company with no integrity, honesty or idea how to run a business. Hopefully they will find another line of work. Perhaps the stock market is a good place for them. BEWARE!

• So
      9th of Jun, 2009

I JUST REFUNDED THIS CUSTOMER HIS COMPLETE ORDER DIDNT KNOW HE FELT THAT WAY BUT HE GOT A FULL CREDIT TODAY WE HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR OVER 15 YEARS AND WE DONT CUSTOMERS WITH 70 DOLLAR ORDERS GETIING UPSET WE HAVE FULLY CREDITED HIS ORDER SORRY WE CANT KEEP EVERYBODY HAPPY SOMETIMES WE RUN OUT OF ITEMS HE NEEDED TWO BULBS WE TOLD THEM THEY WOULD BE HERE IN TWO DAYS HE COULDNT WAIT WHAT IS THERE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT HE CAN WAIT OR CANCEL HE DECIDED TO WAIT WE DECIDED TO CANCEL THANK YOU

11th of Jun, 2009

Dear Shocked,

I agree with you and I should have taken the high road and not "returned fire". I make no excuses but its so hard when as a client your called in a public forum ; not a man, a liar, a thief, a pedophile, a molester and my card is posted on line...I mean thats hard to swallow and many of the public agree. Please look at this link to see this: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/heidrick-ky/TJHMDUKM8OUG8ELQ2.

Although my name calling was mild and based on what they posted, I should not have went down to their (so cal lighting's) level and called them names back.

And you did note "who can you believe"...well like I posted earlier in my claim, I have all their emails to prove my side... more than happy to send them to you. I also have emails from the president of the BBB to also prove their history. Not to mention the BBB record and the following links will also demonstrate their way of doing business.

And by the way did you see the recent claim on this site against them from another client. And look how they replied to his claim. Looks like they never take blame.

Please don't forget (and the BBB records will back this up), that Socal Lighting is also Sunrise Lighting and go ahead and google "sunrise Lighting northridge ca." ...

More Links:
    Before you believe anything from Socal Lighting AKA Sunrise Lights:
    http://www.topix.com/forum/city/heidrick-ky/T ...
    https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/soc ...
    /URL removed/ ...
    http://www.topix.com/forum/portland/TMIIPAH5D ...
    There is much more folks...
    Do NOT trust this place! Please.

11th of Jun, 2009

Dear ADM17,

I noted you were also ripped off by Socal Lighting in Northridge/Chatwsworth Ca. I highly suggest you post comments on www.topix.com and /link removed/

Please also file a claim with the California Consumers Affair office.

Their reply to your claim and my claim make it obvious to the public how they handle such issues. They are burying themselves by theri own replies to problems. And they continue to blame the client and degrade them, especially when they place a small order. They also continue to lie on how long they have been in business. Please go to the BBB web site and California Records will show they are new in business with hundreds of claims against them. This place will not be open for very long. Unless they change names AGAIN.

9th of Feb, 2010

So Cal sent the wrong product and won't replace it

I ordered a 150 ft spool of 120V rope lights. When the package arrived, the invoice indicated that the product was indeed 120V rope light. I followed the directions included and proceeded to cut the rope light to length and install the plug that was shipped with the lights. When the lights did not light up, I discovered a small sticker on the bottom spool that read 12V.

I contacted the company and was told that I needed to purchase a second spool of light as I had uncoiled and cut the original lights.

The only solution offered by So Cal was for me to make a second purchase because of their shipping error

• St
      24th of Feb, 2010

Since my last post I have successfully done about $2000.00 in business with So Cal. When the initial shipment arrived I went through and accounted for all the items that I ordered to make sure they were their, correct, and in good condition. Just like we should always do with any purchase. I had a broken piece of glass and a crushed fixture. I reported these problems promptly and in the manner requested. Well low and behold they sent me replacements without any problems.
    Based on my experience I just don't get that the folks at So Cal are bad people. All of us do make mistakes, why does it always have to be somebody else's fault. Having been in one type of customer service business or another most of my life I do know that bad customers will get bad service. What I mean by that is; if you don't do your part how can someone possibly help you to help yourself? DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE WHEN IT IS DUE AND STOP WHINING AFTER THE FACT!
    A definition of insanity is; continuing to do the same things and expecting different results. Very simply put; do, done get, got. If you continue to do the same things you will continue to get what you always got.

BTW So Cal thank you very much for your excellent products and wonderful customer service. My client has a fabulously illuminated deck and back yard. They are thrilled and the neighbors are fascinated.

28th of Mar, 2010

I am in agreement with Mr. Coleman. Also, with respect to comments to the contrary, I can only surmise people who do not identify themselves and speak positively are probably employees or owners. My greatest area of complaint is the treatment over the phone, which I ceased, and then the continued abuse in emails. The materials used in manufacturing are of concern, but secondary in nature. However, Mike of Socal claims they make all of their own product.

I purchased eight SRA-104LED in raw brass. Evidently in increasing the number to eight from the initial one, the finish defaulted to black, completely my fault for not reviewing the order afterward. When the fixtures arrived and I opened them, I called about the finish. Mike told me I ordered black. He said I could have them sand blasted because the raw brass is what is underneath.

I took them to a machinist. The machinist began blasting one stem and then told me I would be better off using an industrial stripping agent. He had some, showed me how it worked (it worked great), I went an purchased some and started stripping. All of the stems are brass, all of the tops are copper. I called Mike. Mike told me that it was older brass off the shelf. I explained that neither the machinist nor I believe it is brass. Then Mike told me since I ordered black there part was done. I explained their advertising should state "may not be all brass if coating is ordered", as the ad states "solid brass". The conversation became fruitless.

I deliberately ordered one raw brass and one black. I stripped the black, it is all brass. In the interim the client wanted four more as the 25watt equivalency stated on the socal website is incorrect, another case of false advertising. I ordered three more raw brass fixtures, they came with the wrong bulbs. Not a big thing, we all make mistakes. It is what transpired afterward that was inappropriate for a professional exchange. I cannot prove what was said verbally, so I will leave that out lest this become a "he said / she said" issue. Here is my first written complaint followed by Mike's reply (there a few other emails, pretty much the same tenor):

BEGIN PASTE
    I have bcced the client so he is aware of my frustration and what we are now waiting for.

I called SoCal from the jobsite today, about 37 miles from my home. The individual who answered, Mike, asked how I was doing and I said "not so good". Mike then responded with something like "oh, is something wrong with your family?" I said "no, I received the wrong bulbs with a fixture order". Mike then said something like "Oh, I thought there was something wrong with your family, wrong bulbs is not a big thing, this is why we tell people to buy all of their fixtures at one time."

Mike, who is apparently the owner, has no business deciding for me what is an issue or not. I bid a job and now will drive another 74 miles to complete it. In essence, this does impact my family, I cannot bill out the job which is what pays my family's bills. Mike also said the manufacturer sometimes changes things. I was told by SoCal that Socal manufactures the lights. It is very poor quality control not to know what you are making and sending out.

Now, I cannot have new bulbs unless I pay for new ones or you will wait until the old ones are in your hand to send them out.

My client selected your fixtures. He is a very busy individual and delegated purchasing, etc. to me. I cannot speak for the client, but I will attempt to discourage any further purchases from your company by anyone I do work for. And, to be quite honest, we do work on a lot of high-end homes in this area.

My problems with your fixtures:
    1) When online I ordered raw brass for the first lot, qty one. When I went to check out I saw the wrong qty and went back to increase the order. I believe when I changed the quantity the system defaulted back to black because I received all black fixtures.

2) I called and was told to have them sand-blasted as they are all brass.

3) I had them all stripped and the tops look like copper.

4) I then deliberately ordered one raw brass and one more black

5) A few days later the client wanted four more, so I ordered those.

6) Some of the screws on the next batch have larger diameter heads than the others and the head of the screw hits the side of the fixture, disallowing easy assembly and disallowing screwing the screw all of the way down.

I have stripped the black one that came, it is all brass. All of the raw brass ones you sent are all raw brass.

Images of all this will be posted at http://www.penlightelectirc.com/images/brass.html in about 30 minutes. There is no public link to these, I want you to see them, if you opt to do so.

Gary Fuller

Mikes reply:
    ok whats the problem we said we will exchange them like any other company you have to exchange the item to get the new one read our terms we have them plainly shown on the website and if you cant use the website dont get mad at us your the first customer to have that happend and if your such a high end big client why would a job with less then 15 fixtures be such a big deal mistakes happend people are human if your talent or job does not fulfill hapiness in your life dont vent on us do something about other than complain we will echange the sockets thats all we can do for you and we are paying the shipping good luck finding hand made solid brass fixtures made in the usa for anywhere near our prices we will correct the problem and pay all the shipping but if your not happy with your life and have this much time to complain and not stand up and be a man and do something about it like find something that will make you happy dont take it out on us we are doing our part

END PASTE
    I wrote will incensed over the phone conversations, I apologize for any apparent tit-for-tat. I will say Mike addressed the lamps immediately, for which I thanked him (I have all emails). Left undecided are the copper tops and incorrectly sized screws.

So, based on people willing to identify themselves, such as Mr. Coleman and now myself, please do look at what is within the BBB and other entities which exist that house complaints or praise of businesses. I also believe that SoCal has within their purview the ability to provide good service, something is holding them back at this stage.

Side note. The bayonet base of the fixtures is within a well under the cap. There is no drain hole in the well. Sprinklers, or other low level sources of water could easily submerge the base in water. I am drilling drain holes in all of the fixtures.

If Socal takes care of the copper hats, I will immediately acknowledge such at all complaint sites I have visited. I Will also state so on my website where the pictures are posted. I already purchased the appropriate brass screws.

3rd of Apr, 2010

I agree with Mr. Fuller. Check with the BBB and other forums. Mr. Fuller was also called NOT A MAN etc, this proves a pattern by socal/sunrise lights of demeaning anyone that complains. At least they did not post your credit card on line. They went so far without even knowing me and also called me a molester on line. If you dig real deep Mr. Fuller you Sir, will find that you have in fact run into the most unscrupulous scam company on the planet. FYI: They do NOT manufacturer ANYTHING. I have visited theier location while in Los Angeles. Of course I did not identify myself. They rent a small space (under 1, 200 square feet) behind an abandoned K-Mart! They drop ship 99.9% percent of their IMPORTED JUNK!

7th of Apr, 2010

Mr. Coleman,

They posted a lot of my personal information at [redacted]. I have contacted our attorney and I am now looking for an attorney in the Northridge, CA area. Please get in touch with me if you wish to participate.

Gary Fuller
    gary@penlightelectric.com

9th of Apr, 2010

I have now reported them to:
    1) The DOJ in CA
    2) VISA Merchant services
    3) [redacted]
    4) topix
    5) here - complaintsboard

Here is their last email to me which was immediately forwarded on:

BEGIN COPIED EMAIL
    From: socal lighting [mailto:socallighting@gmail.com]
    Sent: Friday, April 09, 2010 11:49 AM
    To: gary
    Subject: Re: Already Closed and started new

you really really need to have some sex or something no one posted your cc from here and we sent you what you ordered but you still want to complain [redacted] will have the info they need to see the truth again keep making these allegations i will have you in litagation until you cant breath

END OF EMAIL

It is somewhat sad that their sole responses tend to be ridicule. They even use an email not from socallighting.com, make allusion to doing something within the legal system, etc.

BUYERS BEWARE, once you buy from SoCal Lighting aka So Cal Lighting aka SoCal Lights, aka So Cal Lights, aka Sunrise Lights, aka Sunrise Lighting, this is what you may have to endure if you are unhappy with their service and you opt to say something about it.

In response to Mike, I will continue with the allegations until a final resolution is reached. I even offered ONLINE to pay you for tops that match and you have failed to accept an arrangement that not only puts more money in your pocket but also would end this. Very sad.

22nd of Sep, 2010

I have experienced the same behavior from SOCAL lighting as the other posts and have filed a complaint with the Ca. AG and Visa. SOCAL lighting repeatedly strung me along for months with replacing my defective solar lights. I was able to get my money back from Visa after several more months, but they never returned the lights that they told me to send back. They even tried to give Visa the same string along story, but Visa wasn't buying it either. With as many complaints about the company as there are and their poor quality products, I don't understand how they are still in business.

Chris in NH

23rd of Sep, 2010

Chris

PLEASE be sure to file complaints with the following:

1. Consumer Affairs
    2. BBB
    3. [redacted]
    4. Topix
    5. Pissedoffconsumer

If you do so there is a better chance along with all others to shut them down!

22nd of Aug, 2011

Sunrise Lighting and Socal Lighting are the same fraudlent company.

I am writing this to warn people of this online company, whom never in my life did I encounter such a troubled company operated by immature group of humans.

They do not follow anything on their website, with refunds, made in the USA, and they have a picture of a American female on the contacts page. But the company is far from American.

The people working there does not speak or type English.

There products were shipped to the US and repackaged as made in USA (My lights came in a box made in USA, but found a made in China Sticker on the light itself)

They don’t have any customer service and will trick you into defaulting on a refund.

Your calls are answered rulely, put on hold, or hung-up game play, in which you can hear laughing in the back ground.

Your e-mails are sent out via g-mail one account where it does not clarify whom the sender is.
    OMG are the e-mails unprofessional. I have replys calling me names and with threats of ruining my credit and life. A copy of the e-mail is pasted below.

SoCal Lighting falsely posted themselves as a Better Business Bureau and was forced to remove that publication.

One of the online blogs show that SoCal Really did post a customer's credit card information online.

They will really try to ruin your credit.

They have your Name, Address, Credit Card Number, that they can pass out to friends for other illegal activities, leaving you with your identity and messed up credit to clear up.

Not to say, maybe send a bomb to your house!!

Here’s the unbelievablely rude and threatening e-mail pasted below:

From: "socallighting@gmail.com"
    To: john woods
    Sent: Friday, July 8, 2011 4:41 PM
    Subject: Re: WHY YOU MESSING WITH US

YOU GOD SUCKS, MUSSLIM BABY, NON AMERICANO. THERE’S NOTHING U OR YOUR SYSTEM CAN DO TO SHUT US DOWN. BTW WE STARTING LAW SUITE WITH BBB. [censored] YOU
    From: john woods
    Sent: Thursday, July 7, 2011 11:16 AM
    To: socal lighting

Dear SoCal Lighting,

That last e-mail had nothing to do with my lights except for it was pass 30 days. But your company representative said to wait 3 weeks. Now your company will not honor my return of the products?
    I also don’t appreciate you bringing my god into this. I will be reporting you the Better Business Bureau. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    John

From: socal lighting
    To: john woods
    Sent: Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:45 PM
    Subject: Re: WHY YOU MESSING WITH US
    To bad, so sad, 30 days, you call back to chek dumsit. your name john woods, you child molesting priest, sounds like it, DAM YOUR GOD, we will messed you up, wath your back, wanna go to heaven.

On Monday, July 4, 2011, john woods wrote:
    > Dear SoCal Lighting,
    > The lights we received from you does not look like the pictures. One flashes every 3 mintues when plugged in. Your website shows that these were made proudly in the USA. My wife found a MADE IN CHINA sticker on the inside housing. I tried to call your company (818) 772-0500 for US customer service three times. I first call I did not understand the person but was put on hold for 28 minutes ending with me hearing a dial tone. The second call seemed to be a 10 year old boy answering and laughing in the back ground. The third one for that day, a man took down my order number and said my replacement would arrive in 3 weeks than hung up. Three weeks later, nothing came in the mail. I called again and the lady said no calls were made, my 30 days are up. I asked to talk to a manager, she put me on hold for 5 minutes. The same voice picked up and said your 30 days are up, don’t call again!! Please advise what I was suppose to do with 2 broken lights that does not resemble the pictures on your website.
    > Kind Regards,
    > John
    > From: socal lighting
    > To: Johnwoods411@yahoo.com
    > Sent: Friday, July 1, 2011 12:29 PM
    > Subject: WHY YOU MESSING WITH US
    > WHY YOU MESSING WITH US. YOU BETTER CANCEL YOUR COMPLAINT. WE HAVE YOUR INFO. SAY GOOD BYE TO YOUR CREDIT. WE ONLY ACCEPT FAX REQUEST FOR REFUNDS AND WHEN YOU FAXED THE MACHINE WAS BROKEN. ENJOY YOUR ORDER

7th of Feb, 2016

They have changed their name yet again. New name is http://www.c2clights.com/ or CoastToCoastLightingCo, see their local BBB listing, they get to start all over ripping people off. BBB Listing:
    This business is not BBB accredited.
    Coast to Coast Lighting
    Phone: (714) 331-4126 9315 Bolsa Ave Ste 302, Westminster, CA 92683

7th of Feb, 2016

They have changed their name again, gleaned form BBB site:
    This business is not BBB accredited.
    Coast to Coast Lighting
    Phone: (714) 331-4126 9315 Bolsa Ave Ste 302, Westminster, CA 92683
    c2clighthingdotcom
    It is always the same "family" that owns it.

7th of Feb, 2016

Pretty funny, go to "http://www.socallighting.com/reviews.html" then click the home button, it takes you to c2clights.com. *sigh*