Smooth Fitness / Terrible customer service

1 780 Fifth Ave., Suite 200King of Prussia, PA, United States Review updated:

I purchased a fairly expensive ellipitcal machine from Smooth Fitness last month. I paid an extra $200 for installation and the machine arrived damaged. It made a grinding noise when moving the pedals. I called Smooth and they told me to call their subcontracting company to schedule an appointment to fix it. Mind you, this is a brand new piece of equipment and I'm already told by Smooth to take care of it myself.

I do so, and I take off work again (had to wait 4 hrs for the delivery) for the repair appointment. He tells me that piece is broken, needs to be ordered, and I should call him again once the part comes in to have him come out again and install it.

I call Smooth to complain about this process for a brand new piece of equipment and ask to replace the machine w/ once that works. I could not get a hold of the return person (yes, it's a single person at this company) for some time. When I did, she explained that Smooth will not replace the machine until it is deemed unfixable. Additionally, I can't return the machine w/o the original box (which the delivery guys took w/ them).

Amazing. Now I have had an ellipitcal machine in my basement for 4 weeks that has not been used. It is broken and I have to wait for the part to come in. Meanwhile, who knows what other parts have been damaged that will creep up in the next year or so, particularly after the machine is not covered by warranty.

I will not order anything else from Smooth ever again.

Ri

Comments

• So
      22nd of Sep, 2009

I recieved a 2.1 Ellicptical that was bad when they sent it new out of the box. They didn't do anything when Icalled the first day. About 4 monthes later I had another problem and I let them listen to it on my speaker phone. They sent a service person out that fixed one problem then put a problem into the machine.(speed input no longer worked). They came out again to replace some parts and tore apart the wrong ones. I have had the machine torn apart for close to a month, have filed a complaint with the BBB of New Jersey and hope something will be done. Don't buy this machine, the wil not back it up. I will try to keep you updated. I am going to try tro get the word out.

• Fo
      4th of Aug, 2010

That's why you ALWAYS buy from a local authorized specialty fitness dealer and NEVER from internet fitness companies.

• Pe
      18th of Jan, 2012

It turns out I am not the only one dissatified with the SMooth Fitness products. I owned a Smooth Fitness Treadmill 7.35 and regret the purchase ever since. Smooth Fitness treadmills are the worst quality ones that I have ever seen. Horrible customer service.

• Fi
      28th of Feb, 2012

I purchased a CE 3.0 supposedly 2012 elliptical which broke down on first go. Have been trying for last 2 weeks to talk to service dept and after waiting for literally hours on the phone for days on end, was able to reach somebody (Doug & Tyra) each of whom repeatedly promised prompt service and said that they will contact me within 48 hours then 72 hours then next day but nobody has ever called. One local subcontractor called one day who was immensely rude and simply told me to call Smooth service dept to check if 'parts ' had been shipped yet and then contact him. I asked him how would they know what parts to send if nobody bothered to inspect the machine yet, he said it was not his problem and he will not pursue it further. This disgusting 3rd world operation called Smooth Fitness is run out of a basement in the boondocks and real scammers and swindlers run it. Reported both to BBB, local newspaper Virginia Pilot and the new Govt Consumer Protection Agency. Reporting to local Fitness/Gym Association as well as well as my homeowners association which runs a big fitness center in our country club. Placing the machine in my front yard with the company name on it with the word 'SUX'.

• Lb
      2nd of Nov, 2012

Smooth fitness has the worst customer service out of any company we have ever dealt with. Ordered 2 treadmills, items were backordered for 2 months. When we called to inquire about our order no answer time and time again, and when we did get through or they managed to call us back 4 days later they continuously lied about ship dates. We cancelled our order and will be spreading the word on this. The internet is full of the same type of complaints. Shame on Smooth Fitness!

• Ti
      6th of Dec, 2012

I ordered a treadmill and after they charged my card, they said it was not in stock. 3 week wait. So I cancelled the same day anbd requested a credit. Week later no credit.