Smith's / Smith's Food and Drugdogs in the food store

S Sep 25, 2017 Review updated:

This afternoon I shopped Smith's Food & Drug in Layton, Utah on Fairfield Road. While shopping I passed two different people with dogs--one in the cart and one on a leash.

I complained to a Smith's employee and he said I was welcome to confront the customer with the dog myself. I explained because it was against the law that Smith's should be upholding the law, not the customer.

I then approached a Manager and explained my complaint about having dogs in the store. I was told that the Smith's employees are not supposed to say anything to the customer because they get angry when confronted.

What part of illegal does Smith's not get? Maybe I should be complaining to the Food & Drug Administration rather than Smith's but I so enjoy shopping at the local Smith's. Maybe I should convert to Winco for my groceries but again, I think Smith's should have a chance to correct this illegal activity first.

Please uphold the law and forbid people who bring their dogs and/or cats into your grocery store. There are open meats, dairy products, vegetables, etc. Why should the public be exposed to these kinds of germs that only animals can introduce into the food chain?

Sharon N.

cc: File

• S
      Sep 26, 2017

A person with a disability has the right to be accompanied by a service animal, unless the service animal is a danger or nuisance to others as interpreted under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, 42 U.S.C. Sec. 12102.

An owner or lessor of private housing accommodations may not, in any manner, discriminate against a person with a disability on the basis of the person’s possession of a service animal.

A person who is not a person with a disability has the right to be accompanied by an animal that is in training to become a service animal or a police service canine.

Although many owners will dress the animal in clothing to tell others the animal is their for service purposes, no regulation require this to be done.

I have shopped at the very Smiths you've referred to. They have always taken great care of myself and family. The WinCo store you're speaking about just opened within the last year. My family supports both stores and will likely continue to do so.

• D
      Oct 15, 2017

@Shaun R. Sharon N.,
    Don't waste your time, email the Kroger executives, board of directors, and the investor relations committee. Somehow they seem to wake up only when the bottom line is threatened.
    Been there done that. Other companies respond quickly, even management is great at a lot of large companies when someone makes them aware of problems. Smith's is a marionette of Krogers and is only afraid of Krogers.

• S
      Nov 26, 2017

@ddjohns Why would I email Kroger? I like Smiths quite a bit.