Smith's Grocery Store / Inspect your receipts every time!

I have been a Smith's patron for over a decade now, and most likely will continue to be in the future. I just have a few complaints, that probably happen at other grocery stores as well.

1. They start scanning my items before I have a chance to enter my fresh values (discount card) card, which leaves me wondering if I was charged the correct price for those items.

2. Nearly every time I shop for my groceries I am over charged a few dollars! It really upsets me, because I try to watch whats going on, but they go so fast (which is a good thing I suppose) and I miss a few items along the way. I have even questioned the price of an item and they assured me that the discount would come off at the end of the transaction, and it didn't. This happens to me so often.

Once I went in for a large haul of groceries, and I purchased a toothbrush that was on sale for $2.99. The others of this brand were all $5.99. Well, it rang up for $5.99, I questioned it, so she went to check the item tag. When she returned to me she said, "Oh, well this isn't on sale, the sale ones for $2.99, so these were put in their place." Shouldn't they have taken down the $2.99 price if we were being charged $5.99? This is just an example of how they trick us customers, and that we really need to inspect our receipts, every time!

Va

Comments

• Bi
      10th of Jul, 2008

If only we had the manpower to monitor little things like that, then maybe we'd have a fighting chance...Look at how few employees work a particular shift versus the customer volume at any given time in any store. I've managed a high volume store in SoCal the last 3 years, and believe me, there's no way to keep up with that kind of stuff (unless, in this particular case, you have the time/money to pay someone to basically stand at the toothbrush seciton to monitor it all day).

Fact is, it's all about making payroll and pushing the business forward, and unfortunately, that toothbrush incident is a perfect example of a needle in a haystack where no one notices it...I'm so glad I finally got a better job and am just about to leave!

Sorry to hear about your experience. If it happened in my store, I would have given you that toothbrush for $2.99 in a heartbeat :P

• Pa
      1st of Dec, 2008

Today (12-1-08) we shopped at Smith's in Pahrump, NV and I had a coupon (Exclusive store coupon) for $2.50 off on fresh pork from your meat dept. if $10 was spent. I bought over $30 worth of Pork products and when I arrived at the check out I was told the coupon wasn't any good as I hadn't gotten it at the enclosed case that also holds fish. Now I'm sorry, but the meat dept. is just what it is where all the meats are displayed. This was a $2.50 coupon and let me tell you this is very misleading to all customers. If you meant for the pork to be bought in the enclosed case the coupon should stipulate that. Meat dept. to us other people means just that where all meats are sold. I'm really upset and disappointed about this as I feel this is very misleading and misrepresented by your company. I know this is just a little bother to the company, but it the principle of the situation to me.

• Lv
      11th of Oct, 2009

TRASH in the SAME SHOPPING CARTS that we put our sterile food in.

When I usually shop at Smith's, I will see a Smiths' worker getting the cart that we as patrons use to shop with (food, etc., .). Than they take a plastic trash bag and put it in the shopping cart and fill it up with nasty, stink, drippy trash that people throw away. Now, look at your shopping carts, there are BLACK grout and grim in them. I use the wipes they have, i clean all the places that i touch to push, and pull the carts around, but take their paper and skatter it in spots i put my food in. They should steam clean these buggers. I go to the extreme at times, but than again, trying to same the environment, can't win against this fight. But I always look for the cleaniest cart to shop with, still, there is spills of liquid somewhere, or someone elses trash is in the cart. GROSS! Las Vegas, Henderson stores...so far..

• Mi
      10th of Jan, 2011

I was just in the smiths in albuquerque nm. at montgomery & tramway bl ne. and looked for an even REASONABLY clean shopping cart, I picked the best looking one in the store but as I started to walk through the store I looked in it and saw crap and by crap I mean excrement in it these things need to be steamed clean remember I said it was the cleanest one I could find then to find little pieces of that stuff (you know dung) in it I took it to an asst. mgr who didn't think it was unusual I immediately drove 6 blocks to a very clean Albertsons I'm not a clean freak I camp and hunt and fish but this was disgusting and then to understand that this is the status quo according to the employees I had contact with means I'll never go into another Krogers store(boy have they slipped since I was a child I'm 56 yrs old) it seems peculiar that a store 6 blocks from there should be so much cleaner and better organized(polite concerned employees and have several handicapped people)you get employees from the same area so it's not a problem of not being able to find good people and as I read others comments it seems to be company wide YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO WORK FOR SMITHS KROGERS as I would be if I tried to pass this off as acceptable maybe we should feed the C.E.O. of the company excrement on his dinner plate and see if he likes it although he probably shops at Albertsons the extremely upset Michael C. Berry Albuquerque N.M.

• Mo
      6th of Oct, 2011

Make sure you are not over charged!... I have been a smith costumer for past 15 years- almost everyday. I have caught them several times over charging me but I never said anything as I though it was random mistake. But there is nothing random in their mistake. In fact it is part of smiths culture to over charge costumers.
    Today, I went back and show the cashier that he over charged me $4:00 ( on $11:00 ticket). When I went back to get my money, the cashier name ED (at smith in Yale and coal- ABQ) talk to me in a very angry & rude manner. He did not apologized and he did not even accept that it was his fault. Instead he began to shake and point his finger at me in threatening manner and tried to blame me for his mistakes. This is kind of respect you should expect from smith employee.
    I would never shop there again.
    Here is my email….moniee43@gmail.com… let see if anyone from smith can show respect and apologize for their rude behavior.
    I will not hold my breath, however I will report this smith to state agency.

• Te
      9th of Oct, 2011

I have been shopping Smith's grocery here in Rock Springs, Wyoming for years. They make me soooo mad. I have complained to corporate and the manager, but they ignor me! I am disabled and only ask that they not overload my bags! I only can take cold goods in the house but it is very painful!!! They ignor you, ex; six can goods and two jars of jam in the same bag. Milk and can goods in same bag. They have smashed my tomatoes with stuff on top of them... I go and ask, bag light! They KNOW me! I say " seriously, you always ignor me" and they nodd and still do it. I shop there less and less! But there are still goods I like there. I wish someone would ring their neck!!!

• Ra
      15th of Jul, 2012

Who do we contact about the selection of Oranges at Smith's. We buy a lot of oranges and they have been frozen. When we get them home to peel them they are just mush and we must throw them out. I am sick of paying for poor fruits.
    Who do I contact about this?
    Our store is in Ft. Mohave, AZ...
    Please help.

• Ro
      6th of Sep, 2014

yesterday i shopped at smiths 09 05 2014, a case of dog food $9.48 was not placed in the cart i did not notice till i went to feed the. today i went back to smiths walk up to a manager to explain he looked at me, before i said a word told me WAIT and walked away. no excuse me, just a second please nothing AIT. when he returned i explained the problem he read the receipt told me to go get another. i am in my seventies walk with a bad limp. no i m sorry i will get you another nothing .it cost me extra gas to go back and forth all to be treated like a bother to him. but this not the first time, i hope some can fix this if not i drive past an albertsons and walmart to reach your store. thank you

• Az
      21st of Sep, 2015

I have a major complaint about someone in the Smith's #190 in Kingman, Az. who is in the pharmacy. She (Jen) had been in the pharmacy for 2 yrs. before having to take a test to become a tech. Well, when it came to the test, she failed. She was allowed to retake the test and failed for the second time. This all took place last year. Now, almost a year later, she is still in the pharmacy. WHY???? I get my information from my husband who became one of 2 asst. store directors 2 1/2 yrs. ago. I also believe this gal was selling drugs to my husband and a few other associates in the store. I also believe the store director knows all about it. I also have another problem with the hrs. my husband is required to work. He works 10 to 11 hrs. a day and 5 to 6 days a week. When he does get a day off, inevitably, one of the other employees will call and/or text him. They even have the nerve to do it when they know he's on vacation. This store has a lot of bad things going on and I won't go into the rest. If these problems are not resolved in a timely manner, I'll start writing to the papers to let them know. This store is a toilet to put it politely. How would you feel if you were leaving the store and a cashier said to your husband, "Hey Donald, strip and give me 20."? Need I say more?