Smith Dean and Associates / Threatening to be arrested

1 Jacksonville, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 904-721-3705

On Wednesday, 12/15/10, I was contacted by David Wilson, at work after they had contacted my daughter and a friend to get information on me, stating they were with states attorney office; they told me that they had done a back ground check and I had 24hours to take care of a check advance that I was making payments on or I was going to charged with two felony charges. I explained that I did not have that kind of money right now it would be taken care of as soon as I was able. He hung up. Today 12/16/10, I was contacted again by Angie Smith, She again stated that they were in the process of filing charges against me and I had 3 hour to make at least half of what I owed to them and they would fax me a letter of hardship to give me thirty days to pay the balance and the would stop the charges. when I told her I was unable to speak at that time she said fine she would call back and speak to my boss and make arrangements to have the sherriff come and arrest me, I was very upset and scared I let my boss know what was going on since I did not know if this was real or not. However, I never received the fax from them and I refuse to send some stranger money.

Ta

More Smith Dean and Associates Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Sh
      17th of Dec, 2010

Scary! I can't imagine the State Attorney's office saying or doing any of those things. I live in Florida also and Distict Attorney's are the ones that send the sheriff. Furthermore, even if you didn't pay a loan back, I am almost certain it is a civil case, not criminal. I'm sure if you did a bunch, it would become a criminal case but since the rate of interest they charge is supposed to be illegal in Florida, I'm not sure how that would work. I know that can collect because you agree to the terms, but I think someone is trying to swindle you for sure.Call tomorrow, the company who has the loan first, if they say its bogus, you'll have your answer.

• Ki
      22nd of Dec, 2010

Taz, contact your states AG office...what they did is a violation of federal law. As a professional collector for over 12 years, this I know...they CANNOT arrest you. They days of debtors prisons are past. In your address bar, type in FDCPA and read it. Do not call the company, contuinue to make the payments as you have agreed, but instead file an AG complaint. They cannot arrest you!