SmileCare Dental / Unethical and terrible treatment

1 CA, United States Review updated:

I am a dentist that worked for this organization as an employee only I was told i was an independent contractor. The treatment of patients is so bad I don"t even want to write this, if you see this know that your health and welfare is at great risk!!!

Comments

• Ke
      25th of Aug, 2008

I paid 4300 dollars cash for service that was little better than a third world country. I asked for them to fix it and then stalled the 9 times I went to the dentist until the warranty went out. Now I'm going to sue. I dont mind at all. But there service sucks.

• Al
      11th of Sep, 2008

I had the same experience with smilecare. Poor work, faulty install and no follow up.

• Su
      6th of Mar, 2009

I was at the Smilecare office in Anaheim for a periodontal consultation. Dr. Balshe, the periodontist came in and didn't even look at my gums or measure them. He told me that I needed 4 quadrants of osseous surgery with bone grafting and resorbable membrane. The cost came to nearly $8000. I wasn't really sure if I trusted the guy so I went for second and a third opinion. Both of the other periodontists told me that I needed limited areas of osseus surgery which came out to approximately $ 1200-$ 1500. Do not get treatment from this guy or make sure you get another opinion before you start work with him. These guys try to scam you.

• Lu
      18th of Apr, 2009

OMG, I am 5 months pregnant and just went to this company for the first time because I had sensitivity in one of my teeth. He said we had to pull it or do an extraction. I aked the DR which would be easier and he agreed that the extraction would be easier. So we got the release from my doctor for the local anesthesia and extraction. It was a horrible experience just as someone stated I felt like I was in a 3rd world country. He numbed me left for a few minutes and came back he started and I was not numb yet i threw my hands up and screamed as he stuck some tool under my tooth or something. He then asked me if my tounge was numb and I said no so he added more numbing medicine and left again. He came back with his asst. and started again this time was better but I could feel shocking sensations. He asked If I would like to come back another time and I told him no. As he worked more I finally became numb all the way. An hour of tugging and pulling of the tooth did nothing he then told me "we still where we started" would you like to come back for the oral surgeon??? I thought he must be joking?? I was sure Id be in pain after all of the trying for an hour of getting it out!! I said no just keep at it. He was pulling and trying so hard to get this tooth out that he finally had to drill it then tug some more and he is a big guy and my jaw was being pulled this way and that way.At time felt like it was going to pop out of socket, he had the asst. hold my jaw as still as she could. I felt like I was being totured..it took 2 hours to get it out. And being prego I had a prescription for ex strength tylenol and penicillin when I left. There was no way!! I called my OB in tears asking if I could at least get tylenol with codine. I had a huge baseball size knott in my cheek and a huge bubble under my tounge of I dont know what for 4 days before things got better.

And they want another tooth? Not with them!! No Way!! They brought me a list of things I needed and over 4k in work that my insurance wont pay for. Including deep cleaning and bone grafs etc. He told me how lose this tooth was and yet he couldnt even get it out. I could have just had the root canal done. Now I have to pay 315$ for the bridge and they wantede almost 500$ for the bone graf.

• Lu
      18th of Apr, 2009

?jhjj

• Mi
      8th of Jul, 2009

STAY AWAY FROM SMILE CARE DENTAL IN RIVERSIDE, CA. UNPROFESSIONAL, RUDE, MONEY SUCKING ROACHES!!!. THEY ARE YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE ESPECIALLY DR. SOLTON...

• Mi
      8th of Jul, 2009

OH...NOT TO MENTION TERRIBLE TREATMENT, CUT HER LIP, DROP THE INSTRUMENT AND GO STRAIGHT TO MY WIFE'S MOUTH. SMILE CARE RIVERSIDE, CA. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR HURTING MY WIFE.

• Up
      4th of Nov, 2009

I took my daughter to the Smile Care in Rosemead, CA for braces. I paid 4K+ (cash) for her braces. My contract was for 36 months. If you go over your contract, you get charged $75 each additional month. Well, they found ways to prolong the length of my daughters braces from coming off. They would set appointments for her and when she'd go in, they'd tell her that she didn't have an appointment for that day. This has happened many times. So if you don't have your appt card as proof, then you're pretty much screwed because it's your word against theirs. We got smart and started saving our appt cards as proof to show them that she did in fact have the appt. I tried to get them to waive her $75 monthly fee and they refused. Smile Care will find ways to prolong the length of time your braces stay on so that once your contract ends, you have no choice but to pay the $75 monthly fees. It's unfair and if I had known, I would have never taken her there! Not only this, the Dr intimidates you if you have questions. He made my daughter feel like an idiot when she asked a question. Unprofessional Dr's and staff.

• Je
      2nd of Dec, 2009

BEWARE!!! SMILE CARE IN BELLFLOWER OF OF DOWNEY!!! RUDE!!! SCAMMERS!!! I waited for 3hours before i got treatment not to mention i had a appt! Then get this ...I was only supposed to get half of my mouth fixed, next thing you know iam getting numbing shots in both sides of my mouth and the dentist starts working...he fixed all my mouth when i only agreed to half!! now i have a huge bill that i didnt agree to pay!!! NOT FARE!!! Plus he was so ruff and was working on five people at once!!! Never again!!!

22nd of Apr, 2010

I worked with this group in the past, I saw a few comments that I agree with but some that I don't, especially the comment by Suzy G about Dr. Balshe! She complains that the cost was high and the Dr. has nothing to do with it. She should have checked with the office about the cost and not complain about the Dr. The 2nd opinions she had prove that she required work to be done. Knowing him, he was one of the most ethical colleagues I have ever worked with and one I would definetely feel comfortable working with!!!

• Up
      23rd of Sep, 2010

I am *sadly* signed for the ortho treatment. I couldnt agree more. They change dr 5 times! This is the one in Bellflower office.

I was suppose to be off end of this year. I only missed 2 appointments, so I was thinking it might add 2-3 months of my 24 months contracts.

Imaging my surprise when they told me I wont be done until atleast August 2011. That is 8 more months than original contract! The doctor sure is taking their sweet time to fix my teeth. I am already 1.5 years in and not even in Power Chain yet!

I hate them so much I feel like puking everytime I go in for appointment.

6 months cleaning is the worse. THEY ALWAYS FIND SOMETHING TO FIX, and give me this horrible story about tooth loss. Ok so, I might have some problem, but they are referring me to perio. for bone grafting and what else they want me to do.

Right now I am trying to cancel all specialist appointment except for ortho, and get second opinion.

At one time they are trying to sell me MI PASTE (more like pressuring me) for $25, and I told them I bought it off Amazon.com for $14. I notice that, that week all the flyers are nothing but featuring MI PASTE.

Seriously I hate the sale tactics. I just hate them and can't wait for this to be over.

• Ih
      10th of Mar, 2011

OMG upsetme2010, I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND YOUR PAIN! I went to Bellflower office for my ortho. and I regret it so much! And yes they change the doctor 5 times! The latest one is the Asian Dr. I just lost track of their name.

I finally got my powerchain when I hit my 24 months. Yes I was told I have 9 more months to go. I almost cry when she told me that. I am also dreaded the cleaning. The last one they manage to get $384 from me and refer me to a perio. I DID CANCEL THAT ONE. and yes like you, I dont have the nicest teeth but I just simply cant afford it anymore.

It will be my next cleaning in 2 days, I wouldnt surprise if they want to fix my whole mouth. I everyone there that look so concern about my teeth and how I need to fix it ASAP. I just gonna set my foot down and just said no to everything and just go ahead with the cleaning

I HATE THEM SO MUCH. I also bought the MI PASTE from Amazon for $14 and I brought it with me because they been pressuring me to buy it at one point.

I just cant wait for this to be over also. I am so stressed I have app with them.

• Un
      18th of Jun, 2011

I agree with you my first time there I was there from 8-5 and that was for a check up, Their Hygienist Peter was great, but their new lady hygienist is pretty bad she only took 7 minutes and if that is the case why do they make you wait so long. When I questioned the way she was cleaning my teeth she got upset and she forgot to do the irrigation. Did not even read my chart.. I am sure she did not know what she was doing. Polished teeth first sort of clean them with the drill and than she floss. I did not like her attitude at all and the front desk person was even worse I don't know why they hire such idiots to work there.

7th of Jul, 2011

I reviewed the complaints against SmileCare in Riverside before I made my appointment this past Tuesday, but went anyway to see for myself firsthand if the complaints had any justification. WELL: THEY ARE CORRECT!! After I completed the paperwork as a new patient, I was led upstairs to the Drs. I was asked to come up to the receptionist. She asked me for $ 80.00 dollars for the x-rays, and consultation fees. I told her that I did not know I would have to pay this amount today and WHY was I NOT told this before/after I completed my paperwork. Her response: Didn't she tell you this downstairs? Duh, NO!! I completed the paperwork and was brought up here to you!!! I knew I would have to pay something, but NOT THIS MUCH!! LOW-COME... THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS. Most dental x-rays, consultations AND Cleaning: $ 35.00. (I checked). Well, I gave them the check. Saw the Dr. X-rays were taken, my "Consultant" told me it would cost: $ 1, 914.10 for my work I needed done: Root Canal, already had one on this tooth 2 years ago. WHAT ARE YOU ROOTING OUT?? THEY DON'T GROW BACK!!! Then, re-posting & crownwork. I checked with another clinic in Riverside:VERY THOROUGH IN EXPLAINING WHAT WILL BE DONE. VERY LOW PAYMENTS TO FIT YOUR BUDGETS, AND YOU WILL STILL HAVE $$ TO LIVE!! Something should be done about these dentist offices and corporations that take the advantage of people who do not have insurance OR IF THEY DO: BE HONEST. Don't rip them off if you want to remain in business (The correct way).What happened to the integrity of people?? Did it go away after Dr. Marcus Welby died??

• So
      19th of Aug, 2015

I went to Smile care for the first time today. I have been with the same dentist for 20 years and I have perfect teeth and gums. Smile care refused to clean my teeth after the hygienist said I need a deep cleaning and antibiotics! This was such a joke. It wasn't until I said no to the extra costs and procedures that they refused a routine cleaning. After they took 18 X-rays and 2 hours of my time with perfect X-rays they tried to scam me!! Canceling the insurance for them tomorrow. They aren't getting one more dime from me, , , I can't believe these people can feel good about they are doing!!!