Smile bright/Dazzle White / unauthorized charges

1 MO, United States Review updated:

i signed up for a free sample of each of these products because i read an article about how if you mix them together they will work wonders. not only did the products not work, they charged about 80 dollars in fees from multiple other "subscriptions" that i signed up for when agreeing to the "terms and conditions" which are bull s**t. regardless, DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THESE PRODUCTS. go to the dentist and get you teeth whitened there! don't be scammed by these companies.

Comments

• Ne
      19th of Dec, 2009

If the T&C is on the website, and they pointed it to you in a link before you submitted your CC info, then technically the charges are legal, regardless if you actually read them or not. It's not ethical by any means, but it is legal. If the company is still charging you after you've followed their instructions to cancel new shipments, then that may be actionable depending on the circumstances.

At any rate, I echo the advice of a few posters above: for those of you in the US, your local State Attny General should be contacted in writing about the company and their questionable practices. The State folks take their jobs seriously, and are probably your best advocate to fight a scam. The BBB, however, is a joke. They have no powers and are subject to the whims and fancies of the local staff. Go ahead and file a BBB report if you like, but don't expect anything to come of it.

In the short term, if you used a CC to sign up for the service, you do NOT have to cancel the card, just get a new number assigned. This is a common practice and is what happens if, say, your card is stolen. Once the number changes, a company that had the old number can't continue charging the account. This way your credit history (FICO score) isn't negatively affected. Be careful though, as this goes for all auto-billing assigned to that card, and you don't want legit bills or pending transactions to be rejected.

If you signed up using your bank (checking) account directly, you might be screwed as far as having to close & open a new account is concerned. Most banks won't just assign a new account number, so you'll take a minor hit there on your credit score, but it's better than losing $$$ every month.

Hope this helps.

• Mr
      19th of Dec, 2009

I fought for days after finding the price I was paying, paid outrageous postage to return their package before the next shipped. Nasty cons. I hope they get busted and a class action suit would be great. Now I hardy ever answer an internet ad. Sad that they ruin it for legit biz.

20th of Dec, 2009

I also saw an ad on line for ordering both teeth whitening product with the claim that they would work better is alternated, just give your credit card to pay shipping.
    I received the product and cancelled the service the same day. I called back about 3 weeks later and was assured that I was cancelled. That was 3 months ago now...

I am getting 6 charges a month from teeth whitening companies SB Brite-$90.38, sbsmile-$2.18, smile bright-$94.44, white teeth$52.40, thinmontr32.68, maximizeyou - $6.85. I am not receiving product, just charges on my visa

• Rh

Dealing With Poor Customer Service

All companies are only concerned with their bottom line. All companies have very poor customer service representatives. My advice:
    1. First try to settle the matter with the company’s CSR. It will not do any good but you have tried.
    2. Be polite but firm.
    3. Ask for the name, number and state the CSR you are talking to is from. If you are transferred to a foreign country ask to speak to a CSR in North America.
    4. Keep written copies of all your correspondence. Insist that all replies from the company be in writing. Good luck on that one, companies don’t like to leave a paper trail.
    5. If you don’t like writing, record the calls, advise the CSR that you are recording the call.
    6. If you have an attorney and three-party calling, arrange to have your attorney on the line before you call the company. My attorney advised me that you are not required to inform the CSR or company that another person is monitoring the call .Keep copies of all of the bills you receive. The eventual lawyers, FCC, BBB and state attorney general will want copies of all of your paper work.
    7. File a complaint with the FCC about your cell phone carrier, it won't do any good, but it's on record.
    8. If it is not a cell phone carrier, file the complaint with the FTC, or whichever of thousands of government agencies that handle your issue.
    9. Please realize that all government agencies are overworked and have been paid off by lobbyist.
    10. Join any class action lawsuit against the company.
    11. File a complaint with your local Better Business Bureau.
    12. Contact your state attorney general.
    13. During this prolonged economic rough patch all companies are out to make money anyway they can.
    14. Join any class action lawsuit against the cell phone carrier. The lawyers will take the bulk of the settlement after years of ligation. When the company finally settles they will pass the cost of the settlement onto their customers, write if off on their taxes or both if they can get away with it.
    15. Do this with any company or service you are having problems unresolved problems with that company or service.
    16. I realize this is a lot of work, but it’s the only way to get things to change. Don’t expect overnight results, they won’t happen.
    I give you this advice at no charge.
    RH – New Mexico

• De
      20th of Dec, 2009

Trial products on Sparkle and South Beach Brite was ordered on Dec 8, 2009 and have a 14 days rick free trial. A total of $30.23 (US$27.86) - S & H plus membership fees had been billed on my credit card on Dec 8th. Today is already Dec 20, I still had not received any of their trial products.
    Starting from Dec 15, 2009, I tried to contact Natural Source Store with their advertised phone number 954-237-2690 but in vain. I just got non-stop recorded messages keep asking me to choose one of their menu without directing my calls.
    E-mail sent to Sparkle, South Beach Brite and Natural Source Store stating I am not interest in their products anymore and asking them not to enrol me to their Automatic Home Delivery Product Plan, got no reply from them. Two letters had been sent to Everbright Smiles - 15621 Blue Ash Drive, unit 160, Houston TX77090 and Natural Source Store, LLC 4051 SW 47th Avenue Suite 101-102 Davie, Florida 33314 respectively stating not interest in their products anymore and stop them from sending me products and no further billing to my credit card.
    Called 1-888-220-2291 to cancel my membership on Dec 16 (within 30 days since Dec 8) and the customer service representative replied that a total of $23.96 ($11.98 twice) will be credited back to my credit card. On Dec 18 called 1-888-220-2291 again, Natural Source Store agent Rochelle reconfirmed that my membership had been cancelled and had to wait 7 to 10 days for full refund on membership fees.
    Tomorrow Dec 21 will be my last day of risk free trial, but I am not able to get hold of any Sparkle and South Beach Brite agent regarding my concern of refusing to accept any products and will mail back whatever they had send to me (provided that I receive items from them) and refuse to enrol to their Automatic Home Delivery Product Plan.
    Today I called my credit card centre and report the scam and had blocked my credit card to prevent them charging me anymore.

• Mi
      21st of Dec, 2009

This is a huge scam and you should also look for a charge of $24.13 from a company called Worldfit. This is a "bonus free trial" you allegedly signed up for when you signed up for Smilebright. Expect the charge 40 days after you "sign up" for your smilebright free trial. We had to cancel our credit card in order to stop the charges. We were taken for $200.00 right before Christmas. How sweet is that? Forget trying to get anywhere with these people. They will give you a run around on everything you ask. My husband ordered the product on 11/8/09. It was a 14 day free trial. The product wasn't shipped till 12/12/09. Then the charges started coming. two charges of $87.00 in 2 weeks and another charge of $24.00!! When i asked the people if they felt comfortable being involved with a company that scams people out of hard earned money, they continued to say the same thing repeatedly... " it was clearly stated in the terms and contitions"!!!
    UGGH!

If it was so clearly stated in the terms and conditions then why are all these complaints on this sight??????

the # for smilebright is 866-989-2686

the # for the Worldfit is 866-407-5590

Although i can say is they will be of no help what so ever. They will cancel your account
    and give you a canellation number. Your best bet is to cancel your card and get a new one. Never give your cc info over the internet without checking the credability of the company. Although, there is a reputable company with the name Smile Bright. They have it posted on their sight not to be confused with the scam artists that are using there name to rip people off. they gave me a couple of numbers to call as well.

801-366-0260
    302-577-8600

Good luck everyone!

• Pa
      21st of Dec, 2009

I was a victim of this scam in 2004. BOA fraud department was very helpful and reversed all charges and changed my account. They then tried dinging my credit and engaged an equally evil collection agency to harrass me. Luckily I had an identity theft service from when my wallet was stolen and they stopped them, or so I thought. In 2008 I was notified Of a "collection" account with a "local" collection agency with an amount due approaching $400. I turned it over to my attorney who said they "sell" these "accounts payable" to a network of friends for pennys, and extort a settlement from many people who dont want to spend the time, money, and headache to fight them. Even with a statement of facts in your credit record, The damage they inflict is huge. We filed a report with the CA Stae attorney generals office, but obviously the scam continues, and their crimes go un punished.

• Sm
      21st of Dec, 2009

I AGREE AS WELL, I JUST SIGNED UP FOR A FREE TRIAL JUST PAY SHIPPING $.99 CENTS AND THEN I FOUND OUT 3 MONTHS LATER THAT THEY HAVE BEEN TAKING OUT 92.37 PER MONTH OUT OF MY ACCOUNT. I DIN'T AGREE TO ANY OF THIS. I WAS JUST TRYING THE CRAP AND THEN CHARGED ME PER MONTH FOR THIS PRODUCT THEY DIDN'T EVEN SAY THEY WAS GOING TO DO. SO I CALLED AND ARGUED WITH THIS WOMAN NAMED MAUA ON THE PHONE# 1-877-458-0435 SHE SAID THAT I SIGNED UP FOR IT WHEN I ORDERED THE FREE TRIAL, I TOLD HER I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR ANYTHING AND IT WAS NOT SHOWING ANYTHING ON THE WEBSITE THAT I WAS LOOKING AT. WAS NOT SHOWING HEY WE ARE GOING TO TAKE OUT 92.37 PER MONTH OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT FOR ORDERING THIS PRODUCT FOR FREE.
    NOTHING ...NOTTA...ZILCH... I THINK I WOULD HAVE NOTICED THAT MUCH MONEY FOR A TEETH WHITENING PRODUCT. I TOLD HER THAT I WANT TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER SHE TOLD ME THAT THEY ARE ALL MANAGERS. I SAID SINCE YOU WILL NOT GIVE ME A MANAGER OR SUPERVISOR I WANT TO SPEAK TO THE OWNER OR CORPORATE OFFICE. SHE LAUGHED AND SAID THAT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN. I TOLD HER TO PUT BACK ALL MY MONEY INTO MY ACCOUNT OR I WILL GET AN ATTORNEY. I HAVE ALREADY FILED A COMPLAINT TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU AND SENDING BACK ALL THE PRODUCT THAT THEY SENT TO ME. THEN CONTACTING MY BANK TO LET THEM KNOW TO FILE COMPLAINT AND THE MY NEXT STEP IS MY ATTORNEY. PLEASE ANY ONE GOING TO TRY THIS PRODUCT DO NOT!!! THIS SMILE BRIGHT IS A SCAM!!!SMILE BRIGHT IS A SCAM!!! THE PRODUCT DOES NOT WORK AT ALL!!!

• Se
      21st of Dec, 2009

Thankfully...I heard right here in the town of the "mom" who supposedly found out the "put 2 samples together" trick, that it didn't really work very well, and that they charge you huge amounts for nothing.
    Didn't know it was this bad though...dang, glad it aint me I'd be headed to jail by now...lol.

• El
      21st of Dec, 2009

Hi I also fall for this free trial! They take money from me fot two months now And I don't know how to stop them. Does anyone have contact details please. I'm not going to pay for something I didn't order. Please don't fall for any kind of free trial IT DOES NOT WORK! IT IS DEFINITELY A SCAM!!!

• Dw
      21st of Dec, 2009

For those who are unaware...this company charges your account every 8 days. To stop charges call 877-594-7850. This company uses the guise of a reputable company located in the United States. The charges are deposited into an account in Ohio.

• Li
      21st of Dec, 2009

Wow I was sucked in too. Seen the Ad about the teacher saving money using the 2 different products together. I ordered them and then found all this information about fraud. I placed the order on 12/20/09 and cancelled the next day on line. I was informed by email I had to follow the instructions to "continue" to cancell my "Membership". What 'Membership? You have to put your cancelation number on the box and return it, ect. Between the 2 different products I wanted to try to cancel was confusing because they have so many different names. I am talking about clean whites which I thought was smile whites pro and is also stay whites. I also ordered the white smile trial offer and cancelled. What a mess. I cancelled my credit card.
    Yes, I understand I should have read the terms and that is my fault. Still something should has to be done about this SCAM.

• Bo
      22nd of Dec, 2009

I am planning to cancel my card. This seems to be the only way to avoid being charge 83.00 again. I didn't realize the scam until it was toooo late. CONSUMERS BEWARE!

• Ig
      22nd of Dec, 2009

I FREAKING SCAMMED TOO!!! THIS IS A BUNCH OF CRAP!! i bought two risk free trials one for $1.49 and anothe for .99. Next this you know I have Charges On my Account OF 100+ missing. I went Up to my bank And Filed Fraud. I have bills to pay and now i'm in the whole. You Know Your Your A Crappy Copmany When You Have Pages Worth OF Complaints On this Site!

p.s I WANT MY ###IN MONEY BACK !!!

P.s.s I Agree With The This Guy Above!!!

• Wh
      22nd of Dec, 2009

Hey Justin Doyle, what's your home address and phone number, since you have all of ours?!?

• Dt
      23rd of Dec, 2009

i got scammed too!! the crooked sobs.

• La
      23rd of Dec, 2009

I did not agree to anything at all. Was told that I would receive a trial for 4.95 including shipping. The stuff doesen't work! They charged my credit card 86.93 on 12/04 and then again 86.93 less than a week later. They must be stopped and made to pay!

• On
      23rd of Dec, 2009

I have similar experience. The smile bright debited twice for "the free trial" in amount $195 (AUS), Where it is supposed to be free and only pay the shipping around $14. To avoid any further charging, I cancell my current debit card and will report it to the authority.

• Mi
      25th of Dec, 2009

I also got suckered into this scam!

When I called the # 1-877-604-2117 to complain and confirm they cancel they told me they would send an email with instructions and the address to return the item. I NEVER got the email and called back two more times to ask for the email. Every time I called, the rep. told me they were sending me another email at that time.

• Ha
      27th of Dec, 2009

Just CHARGE IT BACK. I had plenty of problems with them. My bank gave the money back straight away, and they are friendly. CALL YOUR BANK and tell them you don´t want to pay for these scammers.