Smarthome.com / Software had all ready been opened but I was not allowed to return it

Recently I placed an order with Smarthome.com which included software for home automation. The program was received all ready opened, but I wasn't concerned because I've never had trouble with any SMARTHOME.COM products before. I installed the software, but it did not work with three different controllers it was supposed to work with. After working with it for 2 days I gave up.

I called SMARTHOME.COM to return it, and first was told that I couldn't return it because it was outside of 30 days. I pointed out that I did not receive the order until 10 days after it was placed, and therefore the order was still within the 30 day period. They checked the delivery date and confirmed this, and then told me that they have a no return policy on all software so it could not be returned.

I have been a SMARTHOME.COM customer for years. This is my first return to them. They advertise a no hassle return policy, but this is hardly no hassle! I do understand the policy on returned software, but it seems that if they SEND out software that has all ready been opened, then they should accept it back - especially when it doesn't work! I realize this requires a bit of trust, but I have been a customer of theirs for years, have never returned anything and have always been happy with what I've ordered.

I'm very disappointed with the merchant over this issue and would like a better resolution. I think at the very least they could offer at least a 50% refund! I'm willing to take some responsibility even though I feel the entire situation is completely unacceptable.

N  7th of Aug, 2012 by

Smarthome.com - horrible company. To be avoided at all costs

I ordered a duct booster fan online from them, then my card got authorized 3 times by them. product finally came. I complained about the multiple same charges, nothing we can do, was the answer. Wasn't satisfied with the product performance, so I went through hell to get a live person to get an RMA#. CS rep read me my rma over phone. I followed instructions on ensuring it is visible on outside of box. mailed it back via USPS priority mail, and I get today ( the next day), an email with a PDF for the RMA barcode, to be taped to the bottom of the box. these people are criminal. they deliberately make it next to impossible to do business fairly. I was on hold for over one hour, listening to the same automated BS that all I have to do is click the chat button to speak with a live rep online. chat button is missing. later I'm told, there aren't enough people to staff the online customer service chat desk. My best advice, AVOID SMARTHOME.COM like the dot com std that they are.
A  7th of Aug, 2012 by